Grace m902 Remote Control Codes for Harmony Universal Remotes?
Jul 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mudshark

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a legal way to get the Grace Design m902 remote control codes for a Logitech Harmony One universal remote control short of actually buying the Grace remote? (Harmony does not currently list Grace in its collection of downloadable codes.) My reluctance toward buying the Grace remote is not so much the price but the fact that I will never use it after I load its codes into my Harmony One. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Did you ever have any luck finding out about the codes? I'm (almost) in the same boat. I'm looking at the m902 and already have a Harmony remote. If I manage to find out anything I'll post back.

Bob

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudshark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a legal way to get the Grace Design m902 remote control codes for a Logitech Harmony One universal remote control short of actually buying the Grace remote? (Harmony does not currently list Grace in its collection of downloadable codes.) My reluctance toward buying the Grace remote is not so much the price but the fact that I will never use it after I load its codes into my Harmony One. Thanks!

I owned an m902 with remote for some time. I believe that they used a remote built by the Jeff Rowland Design Group and it used the same codes as the Jeff Roland products. Not sure if the Harmony website has these codes available.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I contacted Grace and was told that the m902 uses codes that are very similar to Toshiba's Tv remote codes. I then tried a few Toshiba codes on my Harmony and got all the Grace remote codes to work except for continuous up/down volume. I can still adjust the Grace's volume with my Harmony universal, but I have to do it one 0.5-dB step at a time.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Short story, Harmony has stated they updated their code list. I got this response from Harmony support this morning. I've also (hopefully) started a dialogue between Harmony & Grade Designs as (with permission) I've given Harmony Neil Thompson's (Grace Design) contact info and the m902 hex codes.

<We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your Harmony Remote. After reviewing other users with the Grace Design m902, we have copied their learned commands. We cannot guarantee these commands will work. To test, we encourage you to login to the Harmony software and update your remote for the changes to take effect. Once updated, press the "device" button, select the "Amplifier" and test the commands from the screen.>

I had traded notes with Neil Thompson (Grace Design) and he indicated he had to be trying to contact Logitech for a year on this and I could provide them his contact info & hex codes, which I did this morning.

Neil (Grace Design) was very helpful. This was his response to my initial email.

<I've attached the IR codes for the m902 RCU

The m902 remote codes are similar to Toshiba TV codes. Here is one customers findings:

"Just a tip on the remote business:

Translation result for http://www.256byte.com/remocon/iremo_db.php?mode=view&id=22

this page shows the analog Toshiba tv has matching function coding to your IR HEX code! it worked!

I figure out the matching keys to be, on a toshiba tv that is,

7 (volume up)
9 (volume down)
channel up (mute)
channel down
volume up (input)
mute (cross feed)

"The universal remote i used was a cheap one made by "Total Control"
called "8 in one". Based on what i was doing though (using the TV
codes) probably any modern universal remote will do the job.

I used a combination of different TV codes to get all the functions i could. Each time i found a new function, i programmed the appropriate button on the Meridian remote using it's learning function. This way i got the full set of possible functions on m902. I am under the impression many universal remotes use the same code library, so it might be useful to know the following which shows which functions i picked up from which TV code:

Toshiba TV Code 0058:
The "Channel +" command operates the "Mute On/Off" function on the Grace m902.
The "Channel -" command operates the "display Dimmer On/Off" on m902.
The "Vol +" command switches the m902 between "Line" and "Phones".
The "Vol -" command puts the m902 into Balance adjust mode, where you can then use Button 7 and 9 to adjust balance to the left and right respectively.
The volume control on this TV code doesn't work well (it is the 7 and 9 buttons when not in balance adjust mode), because it adjusts volume in one increment steps with each press, not continuously with press and hold.

Toshiba TV Code 0083:
The "Channel +" command switches the m902 for "Crossfeed On/Off".
Other buttons do other things like volume but are inconsistent.

Toshiba TV Code 0641:
Has a OK volume function (increments by 1 unit for each press, or keeps on going if press and hold) Button 5 is Volume - on m902. The "down" button (as in the satellite controls section) is Volume + on m902.

Toshiba TV Code 1939:
Best volume control with this code, adjust by 0.5 increments on m902 if press once, and continuously at good speed if press and hold.
Button 7 for Volume+, Button 9 for Volume-.

If these aren't working on whatever universal remote is being used, I'm pretty sure whatever Toshiba TV codes they do have will work to some extent. It's just going to take some trial and error to find all the functions across the various codes supplied."

We have not tested this....>

Grace Designs can provide a .pdf with the actual hex codes. I tried to upload it but it exceeds that max size permitted. Please give it a try and let us know how it works (I don't have the m902 yet).

Cheers, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back