Grace 901 replacement: Grace m902
Dec 22, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #181 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeTogo
It's up on the site now officially!

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/902/m902.htm

There are some additional close-up images, that make it worth a peek.
Not much more information disclosed though at this time.

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/902/m902closeup.htm

Kinda seems more obvious in those pics that the letter on the front is "etched" rather than just paint on steel (or whatever)... at least that's how it seems to me.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is paint on metal. Epoxy paint though, and it is really hard to get off... ...even if you really want to take it off...

Dec 22, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #182 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpolineni
Thanks for letting us know Michael. When you test the m902 as a preamplifier, why don't you directly connect it to the power amplifier from the line output? This would be a true test of how the m902 would perform as a preamp, bypassing the concentra completely. If I buy the m902, this is how I would use it. Please keep us updated whenever you get a chance. thanks.

Yes, this is how I intend to connect it to compare. Incidentally, while I have not made the comparison to the concentra I do have the m902 connected directly to a small reference system at our factory. This consists of a JRDG Model 1 and a pair of Avalon Acoustics studio monitors. The performance of this system has been really exciting and is what I will be using for location monitoring on some upcoming recording sessions next month.

Happy Solstice,
Michael

Dec 22, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #183 of 209
I'm sure you're extremely busy Michael, so it's much appreciated that you periodically pop in to answer questions. :)

Just wondering if the documentation for the m902 has been completed yet - don't see it posted on the site so far - I'd be interested in reading the PDF when it's available. It would make good Christmas reading over the holidays!

Cheers,
DT

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #184 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeTogo
I'm sure you're extremely busy Michael, so it's much appreciated that you periodically pop in to answer questions. :)

Just wondering if the documentation for the m902 has been completed yet - don't see it posted on the site so far - I'd be interested in reading the PDF when it's available. It would make good Christmas reading over the holidays!

Cheers,
DT

We just finished the preliminary manual for the m902. There a few edits and corrections to make and then it will be posted on our web site before the end of the week.

By the way,
m902s are now shipping!
k1000smile.gif

Dec 26, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #187 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Is the front panel clear coated like the 901's?

-Ed

Hi Ed,
The front panel is made from 300 series stainless steel. The 901 front panel was made from aluminum which is a very soft metal so we had to coat them with a polyurethane clear coat. While this finish is cool, it is very finicky and we ended up scraping a large percentage of these (expensive) panels. Stainless requires no surface finishing. Incidentally, 300 series stainless steel is non magnetic (like aluminum) which I feel sounds better than regular steel for low level audio enclosures.

Happy holidays,
Michael

PS. I have posted the preliminary m902 owners manual
here

Dec 27, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #189 of 209
I took the plunge and pre-ordered the m902 from Headroom. They estimate I should have it by next week. I used to own the 901 so I'll get some impressions up though any comparison will have to be from memory.

Dec 27, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #190 of 209
I don't even see the 902 on their website yet. Though I suppose one can just call Tyll and say "I want one"!
icon10.gif

GoRedWings19, you're an awfully big hockey fan for someone living in the UK.

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #191 of 209
Okay, who will be the first to get their hands on this beauty?

I expect a full report, and quick, because my trigger finger is getting itchy!
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #193 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
We shipped two units to Head-fi members yesterday so, you should be hearing some news this weekend or even tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jamey

Wow, I received mine today! Sooner than I expected. Thanks, Headroom and Jamey.

The build quality on this thing is just stunning. Blows the 901 out of the water. I'll post my impressions on sound quality after I've had a chance to listen more.

Dec 30, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #194 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac

The build quality on this thing is just stunning. Blows the 901 out of the water. I'll post my impressions on sound quality after I've had a chance to listen more.

Do you realize how expensive a statement that is for other members
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #195 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac

head-fi party at your place? You can invite us fellow NYCers
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back