Got the Audio Technica AD2000
Feb 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #272 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
separation and resolution might go to the k701 but the annoying lower highs distracts me from being relaxed enough to be able to analyze. As for now, they are not musical enough to take seriously
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well...They are faster then the 600s
Relaxed?? LOL... whit the RS-1 you probably gonna start running on the streets screaming.
gs1000.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #274 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...They are faster then the 600s
Relaxed?? LOL... whit the RS-1 you probably gonna start running on the streets screaming.
gs1000.gif

the grados sound proportional though. nothing sticks out like a sore thumb even with the sr60s compared to the k701s. as for speed, i find the k701s ans senn hd600s just as fast but just balanced differently making people think the k701s are faster.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #275 of 305
I'm sorry to hear that you dont like the AD2K's donunus, they are my go-to headphones, which I often do prefer over my K1000's and HD650's. I find them to be almost perfect, though it may have a lot to do with system synergy

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for a phone that has the best of the AD2000 and K701 I think the SA5000 will suit you.

In my experience, the SA5000 shares the WORST of the AD2K's and K701's, on top of being more uncomfortable than either of them :p

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #276 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hear that you dont like the AD2K's donunus, they are my go-to headphones, which I often do prefer over my K1000's and HD650's. I find them to be almost perfect, though it may have a lot to do with system synergy

In my experience, the SA5000 shares the WORST of the AD2K's and K701's, on top of being more uncomfortable than either of them :p

Do you use the AD2000 balanced? If you do, does it make a large difference with them? What part of your system is especially good for them?

I'm still not sure where to go to make the AD2000 sound the best they can.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #277 of 305
yes, I run them balanced. it doesnt make a huge difference, unlike with the HD650's where the difference is huge, but there is a definite improvement when switching, especially in headstage - the AD2K's have excellent transients as it is, so going balanced isnt so much of a requirement when it comes to control.

i honestly dont know exactly why this combo sounds so damned good, but I'm convinced that the AD2000's were made for the DacMagic. especially once I upgraded my driver tubes to ecc35's, the entire rig came to life, in a way that I hadnt experienced even when using my headphones with other rigs in similar price brackets.

considering your LDMKIII, id look into a DACMagic, should you really want to make your AD2000's shine. this might even bump up your RS1's into another league of sound
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #278 of 305
Quote:

yes, I run them balanced. it doesnt make a huge difference, unlike with the HD650's where the difference is huge, but there is a definite improvement when switching, especially in headstage - the AD2K's have excellent transients as it is, so going balanced isnt so much of a requirement when it comes to control.

i honestly dont know exactly why this combo sounds so damned good, but I'm convinced that the AD2000's were made for the DacMagic. especially once I upgraded my driver tubes to ecc35's, the entire rig came to life, in a way that I hadnt experienced even when using my headphones with other rigs in similar price brackets.

considering your LDMKIII, id look into a DACMagic, should you really want to make your AD2000's shine. this might even bump up your RS1's into another league of sound
wink.gif

A nice sound card will do good too, @ 40 ohms...

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #279 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A nice sound card will do good too, @ 40 ohms...

Not sure how the output resistance of a sound card makes much difference, if the entire DAC system is different :p

Honestly I just think whatever the DacMagic has that gives it its character, it simply meshes well with the AD2000's

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #280 of 305
Donunus

have skipped quickly through this whole thread tonight.
could you just remind me of, what the best source and amp you used with them, was?
it will save me reading it all again!
cheers

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #281 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gradofan2
I am also interested in the ATH-AD2000 and wonder if you had them at the same time as your old Solo. I have the Solo with a Cyrus CD8se as a source and was hoping for any info with regards synergy. I also have AKG K701 and HD650/Equinox with a Silver Dragon V2 on the way. Thanks

Nigel
i think they sound awesome with the solo! i have very limited experience, though.
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #282 of 305
I have both: AD2000 balanced by APS, and K701 balanced by HeadRoom. Driven by a fully balanced Beta 22 (source is a high-end balanced CDP).

These are my go-to phones for rock. Separation and detail -- winner is K701, no question IMHO. Realism and warmth: AD2000. Transient speed: tie.

Conclusion: classic rock studio albums -- K701 (amazing results). Live albums - AD2000 (wonderful listen). I have replicated this result with lots of friends. Of course you can't do this blind, but I try to keep the tests fair.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #283 of 305
Quote:

i did like them as you can see in my review. These last posts i was talking about the k701 which i dont like. The ad2000s are great but I just feel they are too expensive for what they do. If the ad2000s were less than 300 dollars, they would have been more of a good value for what they do.

Oldson,
My source and amp were not that great at the time. I was using the meier headfive connected to an ipod or a samsung dvd player. Listening to this source right now against my mhdt havana dac shows that it wasnt bad though and wasnt the cause of the ad2000s faults. Also, the meier headfive was more than adequate to power the ad2000. In fact, they sounded great straight out of the ipod headphone jack.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #284 of 305
Quote:

wink.gif

Wow thanks. I have the AD2k and going to get the DACMagic soon. I even consider the LD MKIV as well. Glad to hear your comment
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #285 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thanks. I have the AD2k and going to get the DACMagic soon. I even consider the LD MKIV as well. Glad to hear your comment
tongue.gif

if only you had said little dot mkv
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back