Got new custom molds today Klipsch x10! 56k warning
May 2, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 31

Jenny Jacobson
1-800-328-8602 or 952-941-6401
Ask her she runs the Hear It Now department here as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I would imagine it's a state by state since I can not be the first person in the US to do a mold for x10s from a international company like Starkey.

pink

May 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jenny Jacobson
1-800-328-8602 or 952-941-6401
Ask her she runs the Hear It Now department here as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I would imagine it's a state by state since I can not be the first person in the US to do a mold for x10s from a international company like Starkey.

pink

Jenny replied to my email when I sent Starkey the original question. So I have an email thread with her. I'll make sure to ask if I need to send my X10's (oh noes!). I'm also going to ask about colors, materials, canal vs. shell, closed mouth impressions, why the sky is blue, etc.
tongue_smile.gif
I want to take a list of the answers to my appointment, so we can get everything right on the first try.

May 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 31
this makes absolutely no sense to me..the reason i love the x10 is because it is so much smaller and lighter than any other IEM and so comfortable as a result....to each his or her own but this is crazy to me

May 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this makes absolutely no sense to me..the reason i love the x10 is because it is so much smaller and lighter than any other IEM and so comfortable as a result....to each his or her own but this is crazy to me

I understand why he went for the custom fit, given the opportunity he had.

But I also agree that the Images are so comfortable, most users will never need -- or want -- a custom fit.

While I still check out new IEMs, my X5s have spoiled me for anything less comfortable.

May 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand why he went for the custom fit, given the opportunity he had.

But I also agree that the Images are so comfortable, most users will never need -- or want -- a custom fit.

While I still check out new IEMs, my X5s have spoiled me for anything less comfortable.

I'm likely the least rational person in this discussion - my X10's are still in the mail, and I already have an appointment for custom tips. I was just thinking "What are the best tips for these?" and the obvious answer seemed to be "Custom". Possibly a reckless way to spend $100, but it won't be the first (or last) time.

I wonder if there is a t-shirt that says "Unable to make rational decisions in regards to purchasing toys."

May 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #22 of 31
the beauty of the x10 is their size and weight and the comfort and the way they pretty much disappear when you put them on..also their size allow them to sit very deep in your ear...a custom mold pretty much eliminates all of the strengths of the x10 in my judgement...but hey...to each his or her own

May 3, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 31
The issue I have had with the tips being so small is yes they sit deep in my ear however it feel like the end is going to come off in my ear each time I remove them. Also for those who had very little fatigue before wearing these, I could wear them for a month and never notice them.

What may be even more pathetic to some is they are not in everyday use, I use them at home, long commutes (planes, trains, and automobiles), and maybe if I take a walk. But never used at the gym or in regular rotation.

Quote:

Jenny replied to my email when I sent Starkey the original question. So I have an email thread with her. I'll make sure to ask if I need to send my X10's (oh noes!). I'm also going to ask about colors, materials, canal vs. shell, closed mouth impressions, why the sky is blue, etc. I want to take a list of the answers to my appointment, so we can get everything right on the first try.

When I asked about doing an open mouth impression the guy said it would not matter, this is debatable amongst a lot of people but I did not push it. The lab itself mainly does hearing aid impressions while the mall locations do bluetooth headsets, iems, and full dual driver custom impressions.

pink

May 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #24 of 31
Nice photos. I noticed in another thread here another member said he was sending his custom molds back for a redo because he wanted a stiffer mold. Are your molds made out of the EP material?

I'm asking because I see they're colored and I think he said the Ultraflex (the stiffest material) do not come in colors outside of flesh and clear. Just want to be sure before I place my order.

May 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #25 of 31
The custom molds look great, but do they also sound great?
smily_headphones1.gif
I live in the Netherlands but I am thinking of upgrading to custom molds for my IE7 some day
smily_headphones1.gif
But how much burn-in do these custom molds need?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks and have fun with your custom molds!
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #26 of 31
I got these done a while back - the smaller ones from ACS.

customs_2.jpg

customs_1.jpg

Using them just now - I only went with them due to the durability issue (they deteriorate when your ear canal is 'capacious'.

May 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I asked about doing an open mouth impression the guy said it would not matter, this is debatable amongst a lot of people but I did not push it. The lab itself mainly does hearing aid impressions while the mall locations do bluetooth headsets, iems, and full dual driver custom impressions.

pink

I got a reply back from Jennifer. She said that for singers it is essential to have an open mouth impression; if they are being used as headphones for listening (and I assume if you aren't singing along), a closed mouth impression is fine.

Also, they now fully support the X10's without sending them in, and will add them to the official list next time they update it.

May 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 31
I got my impressions done this morning. They had to use little cotton balls instead of the string with the blue foam thing, because my canals are large. I should have the molds back in a week or two. I'll post pics and comments when I get them.
ksc75smile.gif

May 30, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #29 of 31
I got my earmolds today. They were actually in yesterday, but I didn't make it to pick them up until this morning. A quick review: They fit great, a little "full" feeling, but they seem to get more comfortable the more I wear them. There is definitely an improvement in sound quality as well. The bass and treble extension are both improved, the left/right tracking is improved, and the soundstage sounds more separated. Busy music doesn't sound muddled together at all. If there's any disadvantage, it's that "thin" music sounds thin. But overall, the X10's with custom earmolds are quite excellent.

My molds took a couple of weeks to get, because the lab was backed up. But the end result was worth the wait. Highly recommended.
ksc75smile.gif

Just a single picture of mine, in purple and black:

3577846390_63bab8bb5b.jpg

May 30, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #30 of 31
I see you did not get the full molds. Those are what I had when I got my Denon set and did like them but I find more isolation from the full shell, but at the same time its a commitment putting them on vs those you can just pull out and be gone.

pink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back