Got myself a root canal today!
Jun 11, 2007 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wafflesomd

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, whatever anyone says about root canals being bad, alot of pain and what not.

They havn't had one.

It's eaither that, or my dentist kicks ass. I didn't feel a single thing at all. He managed to put about a gallon of anesthetic in my mouth, so that's probably why.

Basically, they aren't nearly as bad as people say.

It's the pain that you feel when the pain killers wear off that sucks!

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 27
Congratulations!
tongue.gif
I've never had a root canal...or really much dental work to be honest. I hadn't seen a dentist for over 9 years and when I did go in, all I needed was a cleaning.

Do they still use laughing gas if you don't want the shot from those 2 foot long novacaine needles they use?
blink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, whatever anyone says about root canals being bad, alot of pain and what not.

They havn't had one.

It's eaither that, or my dentist kicks ass. I didn't feel a single thing at all. He managed to put about a gallon of anesthetic in my mouth, so that's probably why.

Basically, they aren't nearly as bad as people say.

It's the pain that you feel when the pain killers wear off that sucks!

I'd say it was not that bad, but not something I would make my hobby either.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 27
I got my first one about 3 years ago, and I too was pleasantly surprised that I felt NO PAIN whatsoever! I would imagine Dentistry in general, has come a long way, and pain control has made huge leaps over the years. I felt no pain afterwards as well (when anesthetic wore off).

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 27
I'm feeling a little bit of pain, it's not severe or anything, just kinda annoying, you know?

IDK about laughing gas, I didn't have a choice. He used needles, but those didn't hurt at all.

I'm still pretty amazed that they're able to numb it to the point of no pain at all.

The best part about this whole thing:

Watching the side of my face droop.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can't find the "this thread is worthless without pic" picture anywhere.

Where is it when you need it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 27
No; no pics; thanx anyway.
tongue.gif

Yeah; I had three way back in 73 and they weren't bad even with that old a technology. I have no idea where the scary feelings came from. I guess the name just sounds "bad"!

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 27
I had one. Not bad at all, maybe a little sensitivity on that tooth for a while but no big deal. Getting my impacted wisdom teeth removed was far more traumatic. I couldn't eat solid food for days and then a slight infection settled in on one of the sockets. Cleared up with antibiotics and irrigation 3-4 times daily.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 27
I had implants in my jaw.
I had flap gum sergery before that too.
Implant is no big deal. Cut your gum off with knife to expose your bone, break and grind the bone inside, drilling holes in it, put a metal post... things like that. No biggie at all, I already be there, done that.
You will be ok, because at least you can save your own tooth by doing root canal. Damn... I wish I was able to get away with something rather than implant though.... Oh... by the way, don't forget to brush your teeth, ok?
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 27
Yeah, I was super suprised too when I had a root canal done the other day. I would much rather have a root canal than a cavity filled. The instruments are much more specific/smaller. I had to be on pain meds after the fact but there was a bunch of stuff going on in my mouth.

Dentists generally have nitrous but they use it to calm people down who are freaking out. I think they used it for surgical procedures in recent past but now they just knock you out with a general anesthetic for the big stuff.

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find the "this thread is worthless without pic" picture anywhere.

Where is it when you need it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL!

Good to see you made it out alive. To me it seems like one of the biggest nightmares...Maybe except for the wisdom teeth rippin part
biggrin.gif

Wahhhhhhh Needles They are for sure my worst nightmare!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back