Got my Audio Technica M50! burning em in
May 16, 2011 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ShutterX

New Head-Fier
finally, after a loooong research stint that got me to join Head-fi, i bit the bullet and went in for my first high quality headphone. the M50s! i livbe in india and prices here are stupid high. i bought one for approx USD170....

i went in for the coiled one. i picked it up from a distributer and only had my Samsung mobile to try em out with. needless to say, they sounded nothing better than the Bose In ear i was hearing. the bass was pretty boomy and the mids had is kind of hiss to em.

i went back home and set up the playlist for burn in session. i chose songs like Symphony 25 by Mozzart, Telephone by Lady Gaga, Nostalgia by Yanni, Paradise Lost by Symphony X, Ecuador by DJ Sash, etc... so basically covering the spectrum of music that i listen to.

after about 1 hour, there is a clear difference. this is definetly a bassy product! the bass was louder but more pronounced and controlled. as the session progressed, i notice only one thing that ill call negative. the hiss in the mids have stopped but they have become more elusive and recessed. but still very audible because of the excellent NC by the large earpads.

i have finished about 8 hours of burn in and will go home from work and try em out.

will post updates.

cheers.

May 18, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 10
have finished over 30 hours of burn in. so i decided to listen and try out. i played Anjunabeats 6. the genre is called dream trance/morning trance. the M50 portrays bass clearly but looks like bass decays still has to speed up a little. other than that, the highs are very slightly on the the brighter side. but sound stage is huge and this unit is specifically great when it comes to trance or techno.

other than that, the hissing sound present in the mids has further reduced. and since approx time to get completely set is around 200 hrs, i guess ill have to wait till more improvements take place.

other tracks played.

rapture - iio
screw up - overseer
smack my bitch up - prodigy
etc

more coming up, as burn in progresses.

cheers,

May 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi and congrats on your headphone purchase.  Now do yourself a favor and leave this site now or the urge to upgrade maybe to much to overcome in the near future.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 10
You have impeccable music tastes. Anjunabeats AND Symphony X? 
beerchug.gif
 In fact, I've not listened to Paradise Lost since I've gotten my own m50s, I'll go do that now! 

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

May 19, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 10
thanks folks. its great to be among such pro audiophiles. yes, the M50s came 1 week post joining Head-fi,

and after this financial hit, my in-built radar has picked up a lil box called ibasso. :p sorry about my wallet indeed.

May 19, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
You have impeccable music tastes. Anjunabeats AND Symphony X? 
beerchug.gif
 In fact, I've not listened to Paradise Lost since I've gotten my own m50s, I'll go do that now! 

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

great! another anjunabeats lover! its rare to find dream trance lovers.... i listen to almost anything that sounds technically balanced and good. other include- iron maiden, megadeth, maor levi, prodigy, stratovarius.

and yes, the song paradise lost sounds incredible through the M50s

May 21, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 10
hi folks. a lil report on what ive been upto.

been listening to a lot of music recently. took it to work as well... everyone asked what is it and audio technica? whats that? :p

and chicks dig this thing.

as far as sound goes., the ear pads get run in accordingto your ears. now when i wear these for longer durations. my ears dont get as sweaty....

the bass is slighty more controlled now. and the mids have become slightly more recessed. hope this doesnt continue. and what i said about my M50s being too bright, i take it back. the highs are very comfortable... even during those high pitched heavy metal lead solos....

more to come later.

May 31, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 10
lol.  its no magic. first of all, its pretty cool to look at and give you a cool gadget guru type of look. on top of that the comfort level is pretty great. one can wear this thing for 4-5 hours at a stretch.

then there is ofcourse the sound. on average several times better than most 'normal' phones.

lastly, its all bout the music! this one gal in the train asked me what i was listening to. the answer was 'maor levi'... she had no idea. but once she had the M50s on, it was smooth sailing :p

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back