Got my AKG-K1000's today...
Apr 9, 2002 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
...and I like 'em!

I'm powering them with a Parasound HCA-1000A THX amplifier... bought used from Audiogon for $325. Since the AKG's were about $300 used, the whole rig is the same price as my MG Head OTL/Senn 580's/Clou Blue/Upgraded tubes rig.

The sound? How do they compare? I'll post a review ASAP. One thing I am noticing is that the Parasound delivers great bass! No sub necessary. Could this be another killer price/performance rig?

Methinks so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 44
Congratulations, Nick! I would love to hear the K1000's someday. (by the way, the pic doesn't look that dorky.....you don't have the "flaps" opened wide enough...)
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 44
Coool. Maybe you write up a more comprehensive review of the AKG-1000. Seems like a lot of members here have ambivalent feelings about the AKG-1000 for reasons I don't really understand.

Apr 9, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 44
Pedxing,

"Seems like a lot of members here have ambivalent feelings about the AKG-1000 for reasons I don't really understand."

I'm one of those members who's ambivalent about the K1000s. I don't like them because:

1. They're uncomfortable.

2. They have a harsh midrange, perhaps caused by distortion, perhaps caused by FR peaks.

They are an interesting, ambitious design, but not as well implemented as they could be.

--Andre

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 44
I got my AKG K1000 today too. First impressions... damn! I didn't realize it was an XLR connector. I guess I won't be trying to use these with the Melos - probably there is not enough power anyway. I'm listening through an Arcam AVR100 5.1 receiver that just happens to be next to the desk. It's Arcam, but made in China. Nobody ever called this a great amp, but it's not terrible either. I've got the supplied adapter cable across the speaker terminals.

Playing with the fit is essential, and at first perplexing. Having the leather band just smaller than the gap between the two red bars is maybe a mistake. Perfect fit for me is with the band just between the bars, with the bars not quite touching the top of my head. Getting the band to go in there requires some jiggling.

The angle adjustment of the earpieces is strange, you wonder how they could possibly need to go out all that way... but they do. All the way in and they press against the ears, all the way out loses bass and looks completely stupid. Somewhere parallel to the ear I guess is what they intended.

The bass is astounding, it goes down forever without being boomy or muffled. The midrange is a little subdued perhaps especially compared to HD600. The highs are good, especially acoustic strings, but maybe I need a little more razor edge there. There is plenty of detail, and now that I'm listening to Elivs Costello I can say that vocals are just fine. On the first track of Spike the quiet background bongos are really standing out. Tool "Lateralus" sounds eerie and powerful, and I don't even need to turn it up too loud.

There's no way I'll be allowed to use these in bed. They leak a lot of noise but not as much as I had expected. Using them in a shared office would be rude. They are not as comfortable as HD600 - but nothing is.

There is also no way that I will get away with quietly hanging these up and not having them noticed - "distinctive" is maybe not strong enough. Full Spanish Inquisition on these. However, they don't look all that expensive... and with the current Headroom price it's not that much of an issue anyway.

These could end up being the favorites for serious listening, better than the HD600 and the Etymotic ER-4S. If I could only have one set of phones it would be HD600, but for those days when I'm alone in the house with a new CD this is it.

(Last minute addition - when the phone rings it's audible, and they slip back to sit around your neck comfortably. HD600 feels like wearing a neck brace when you do that.

Apr 9, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 44
Some of the reviews have sorta made me shy away from the K1000, but aeberbach has brought it back again, thanks.

How's the imaging? Is it any better than the HD600?

Nick, come on man, say something about these cans, anything. Just give me your first impression. Should I go for them?

Thanks

Apr 9, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by AndreYew
1. They're uncomfortable.
[/B]

Besides the fact that these headphones look damn ugly. I"m sorry, I"m sorry - but I had to say it.
wink.gif

they also look rather uncomfortable? Nick, what do you think of hte comfort level of hte K1000s? Versus the HD600 for example and other cans you've owned.

Apr 9, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by AndreYew
2. They have a harsh midrange, perhaps caused by distortion, perhaps caused by FR peaks.

I had the same impression when I first heard them, but when paired with the right amp (whatever that may be; I'm sure they sound good with many), the peaks and harshness are nonexistent. they're the cleanest, most accurate headphones I've had the luck to listen to extensively. The sound is seamless.

nick, congratulations on your purchase! those are indeed excellent headphones. you lucky, man, you lucky!
cool.gif

Can't wait to find out how they sound with the amps you're making. Keep us posted (I know you will)!

Apr 10, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 44
GOOD QUESTIONS!! MANY QUESTIONS!!

Phew. I wish I could bring them to work, but there's no way I'm going to put my Parasound amp on my desk. The amplification factor is the primary limitation of these headphones. Members of Team Melos w/HD600's know what I'm talking about. Big amps sound great but don't like to be uprooted and trucked around.

I'll try to tackle them one at a time:

darkclouds sez:
Quote:

How's the imaging? Is it any better than the HD600?

Yes. Definitely. AKG-K1000's have a tremendously wide soundstage... probably more than any other headphone on the planet. I can't say "any" headphone, because the R10 is such an elusive beastie.

Imaging is still in the head, but it is such a wide, landscape-sized head that it makes other headphones seem downright claustrophobic by comparison.

I like it. Imaging is the AKG's greatest strength. If only crossfeed FX could do this...

jodokast sez:
Quote:

Nick, what do you think of the comfort level of the K1000s? Versus the HD600 for example and other cans you've owned.

I haven't worn them for a long enough period of time to make a fair estimation of comfort. Initial impressions are very favorable. They are lighter than I expected them to be. I also enjoy feeling unimpeded cool air blow across my uncovered ears. Sweat factor and hot ears are no longer an issue.

Neruda sez:
Quote:

Can't wait to find out how they sound with the amps you're making. Keep us posted (I know you will)!

My order was just placed today for a pair of Bottlehead Paraglows with Jena insulated wire and pure crystal magnet hookup wire. These are the $1150 monsters that are Bottlehead's best product. I don't think I'll be dragging them out of the Oris system for headphone listening very often... but I expect a spectacular experience when I do. Can't wait!

Nick Dangerous sez:

I'd like to comment on the bass issue. For some reason, the AKG's I heard at the last Dallas Head-Fi meeting lacked bass but otherwise sounded great. We were using a Melos SHA-1 as a preamp and a Rotel poweramp.

Using the AKG's with my Parasound HCA-1000A sounds great in the bass department. To my ears, they have the clear, undistorted nature of the Ety's yet wiggle your eardrums just enough to remain exciting. It makes the MG Head's OTL mode w/Sennheiser 580's sound a shade boomy by comparison. Not bad, just a bit phat. Nothing to freak out over.

Highs are spectacular.

Midrange... well, that's the challenge. No tubes = no super tubey magic midrange, right? The MG Head OTL w/Senn 580 combo wins here. It's da tubes. They ooze lush midrange and appealing detail. The AKG wows with crystal highs, clean lows, and an airy wide-open presentation.

As they stand, neither "blows away" the other. It's a matter of preference. Both are excellent, with each system excelling in the other's weak spot. I think I'll be keeping both. More details to come.

Any more questions?
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 44
LOL! It took darkclouds nine minutes of consideration before ordering them! Look at those posting times!

jodokast
Quote:

Besides the fact that these headphones look damn ugly. I"m sorry, I"m sorry - but I had to say it.

Ah well, to each their own. I think they look really cool... like a neo-industrial piece of art. Aside from the woody phones like the R10 and AT's, I think they are the best looking headphones I've ever seen.

Well, make that 3rd best. Let's face it, Grado's have a kickass appearance.

Apr 10, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 44
Yeah, well, that's what happens when you start to hang out here for too long.

And Nick, I'd assume you would expect the midrage on the K1000 to improve quite a bit with a decent tube amp. Am I correct?

I'm glad you've addressed the bass issue cause I'm not about to hook up a sub to my headphone setup. Hmmm... then again, who knows. Six months ago, I'd never thought I'd spend this much on headphones.

Apr 10, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Well, make that 3rd best. Let's face it, Grado's have a kickass appearance.

So true.....so true.
biggrin.gif
I've personally found that I really enjoy the "look" of wood headphones versus the modern look of phililps and classic look of Sennheiser.

Hehe. Course, I do get some weird looks from my friends when I even mention the existence of wooden headphones let alone $500+ headphones. Oh well.....same old same old.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back