Got my (5-blade) Gillette Fusion Power...
Jan 30, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #61 of 135
Screw all the chemicals you find in the mass produced shaving creams by the huge conglomerates. Haven't we progressed past using stuff like this? There are so many better options out there, why be conservative about it?

I suggest something like this, specifically the Aloe Unscented version.

http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=93

Also, IMO the Gillette Mach 3 has always been the best razor out there. Not the Mach 3 Turbo, just the regular Mach 3. Nothing I've tried, and I've tried all the brands, does the job quite like the original.

Jan 30, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #63 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
I've found the Mach 3 Turbo to be a noticeably smoother shave than the original Mach 3. I haven't really experimented with other brands, though. The Mach 3 works well enough that I don't feel the need to.

Same here. I did also find the M3 Turbo significantly smoother. AFAIK, It features better quality anti-friction coating than the standard version.

I have been curious to try the Schick Quattro out but it's waaay overpriced here in Brazil, as it has been released only recently by a local distributor independent from Schick itself. Gilette's Fusion has not yet been introduced here.

Jan 30, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #64 of 135
I can't believe the price of a decent brush!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #65 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
I can't believe the price of a decent brush!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Yeah but using a brush and cream will save you tons of cash in the long run.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #66 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Yeah but using a brush and cream will save you tons of cash in the long run.

How is that?

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #67 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
How is that?

Decent Brush = $25.00
Cream = ~15.00 (6 ounces)

TOTAL = $40.00 LASTS = ~ 6 months (shaving everyday)
And you get a better shave.
icon10.gif

Brand name gel = ~ $5.00

Lasts = ~ 2 weeks
1 month = ~$10.00
6 months = ~$60.00
Chemicals can cause irritation
frown.gif

FOR FUN:

Add in using a DE and the cost gets lower. Each replacement blade lasts 3 - 4 times longer than a disposable and costs less than $0.50 each.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #68 of 135
You replace your brush every six months? What are you OCD?

The cost of the blades alone is amazing. Mach3 cartridges are $2 each and go up from there and they only last about a week for me. So in a year and three and a half months I pay off the cost of the Merkur and brush that I ordered from blades alone. And the nice thing about the brush is that you can be more frugal with the cream since you can get several lathers out of one loading. I'm hoping that it works out and eventually I could move up to a straight razor. But we'll see. I have very sensitive skin and have problems even with electric razors.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #69 of 135
I dunno about some of the time estimates here. A can of Gillette gel is about 3 bucks and lasts me several months, which is a far cry from costing 5 bucks and lasting 2 weeks. I understand some shave more often than I do, but I still usually get close to a month out of a Mach3 cartridge.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #70 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
I dunno about some of the time estimates here. A can of Gillette gel is about 3 bucks and lasts me several months, which is a far cry from costing 5 bucks and lasting 2 weeks. I understand some shave more often than I do, but I still usually get close to a month out of a Mach3 cartridge.

Shaving cream generally lasts me about 8 weeks, shaving every other day (I prefer not to shave everyday, but sometimes circumstances insist). The blades (Mach 3) are replaced every month or so...

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #71 of 135
My beard is soo thick and heavy, I replace Mach 3 blades every 2 weeks!

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #72 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
You replace your brush every six months? What are you OCD?

No. The cream lasts about 6 months, if not more. The brush lasts forever.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #73 of 135
my can of gel has lasted me almost 2 entire years. Mostly because I haven't used it, of course. I shave dry. Which sucks, but I don't have time pampering my face. Or something like that
rolleyes.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #74 of 135
I'm thinking of really cutting out all the crap and moving to dry shaving with a straight razor (not a safety, a real 4-inch blade that comes with a strop, etc.). No need for any brushes, creams, gels, cartridges, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back