Got back into Ham Radio
Apr 16, 2004 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
Hi guys....

I've been absent from Head-Fi quite a bit in recent weeks.

Well, i've gotten the bug back for Ham Radio. I used to be into in a big way back in the 90s but somehow it fell by the wayside because of problems with neighbours and my working unsociable hours.

When I changed jobs in 2000 I spent a few months learning morse code with a good friend and passed the test and got a new callsign with extra privileges. I intended getting set back up again at that point but never got around to it.

Well, i've been helping my mate build a tower for his antennas and have steadily been drawn back into the hobby over the past few weeks.

I had been saving for an iPod and had nearly enough to buy one and have just blown it all on a pair of VHF/UHF transmitters along with he respective antennas and such.

I've got to waiti for the VHF radio to arrive and currently have the UHF one up and running. Right now as I type i'm listening to an amateur radio station from Nicaragua and the feeling is great. Just an old SW set that I kept for posterity and a bit of wire laid on the roof.

At last. For the first time in over six years i'm enjoying Amateur Radio without having to worry about the neighbours.

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm a former extra class licensee from Minneapolis. I let it lapse when I moved to an apartment, and haven't resumed since moving into a house.

Had a ton of Heathkit gear, Icom and Ten Tec transceivers, and god knows how many other accessories. Awesome to work DX at the peak of the solar cycle !

And all the folks think headphones is an expensive and compulsive hobby
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 6
KD6RGZ here - got into Ham radio to use with my Private Pilot hobby - it was useful to be able to dial the telephone of a friend to tell them that I had the airport in sight, and that by the time they made it there, I would be ready for pick-up. It saved them the hours of waiting for me because the weather made me detour, or I was late getting off, or headwinds changed my flight time from what I had planned.

Enjoy SWL and DXing too...

Regards..

Big Ugly

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 6
N0SAD here from Colorado. I used to be big into 10 Meter and for last 5 years into 2 meter and 70 cm. Big Ham community out here. What's really nice are the Internet relays. You can talk to people all around the world on 2 meter. No need for my 600 Watt FM rig anymore.
evil_smiley.gif

73's

Mikhail

Apr 16, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 6
It's surprising how many Radio Amateurs there are hiding out there
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been licensed since 1992 and got my Class A licence back in 2001 after passing the morse exam. Unfortuntaley, I let my licence lapse but i'm sending for that shortly.

My callsign is M0NNT ex- G7NNT. My father is also licensed as G7UCZ so hopefully I can enjoy the hobby with him as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back