Got an X-Fi Elite Pro for $28...old but still better than the Sound Blaster Z (aside from the higher end ZXR), right?
Jan 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shaolin95

100+ Head-Fier
I think for $28 (no breakout box or remote), I scored a nice deal here. The sound is VERY nice to my ears on my Ascend 170SE monitors and Mission speakers as well. At first I wanted the entry level Z card but I think the deal I got was better overall.
This is for music and some gaming. For actual recording I got a Saphire Scarlett 8i6.
So unless  I go for the ZXR, I wont really get much better than this, right?

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 6
  I think for $28 (no breakout box or remote), I scored a nice deal here. The sound is VERY nice to my ears on my Ascend 170SE monitors and Mission speakers as well. At first I wanted the entry level Z card but I think the deal I got was better overall.
This is for music and some gaming. For actual recording I got a Sapphire Scarlett 8i6.
So unless  I go for the ZxR, I wont really get much better than this, right?

The SB-Z comes with one CS4398 DAC chip.
I believe the X-Fi Elite Pro comes with 4 CS4398 DAC chips.
So audio quality wise, can't see any reason for getting the SB-Z, over the X-Fi Elite Pro.
$28 for the X-Fi Elite Pro seems like a good price.

If the future, for improving audio quality, you might consider getting an external optical input DAC and plug it into the X-Fi- Elite Pro's optical port.
or finding a SB-ZxR, for a really good price.

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 6
The Elite is an exceptional card, at the same level or better than the EMU cards,
it has not a colorful shields and other ******** marketing tricks, but it should sound even better than modern creative cards,
so, yes that's a very good deal
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks guys! 
I am very happy with the quality I am getting from it. I always had sound cards but on this build I was running the onboard sound and it was killing me! :)
Now everything just opened up with detail and better positioning. I was going to try hunting down the breakout box but from what I have read, the quality was not the best so I will just keep it as it is.
Regards!

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks guys! 
I am very happy with the quality I am getting from it. I always had sound cards but on this build I was running the onboard sound and it was killing me! :)
Now everything just opened up with detail and better positioning. I was going to try hunting down the breakout box but from what I have read, the quality was not the best so I will just keep it as it is.
Regards!

The I/O box is great quality, not sure where you heard it isn't..  It was fun to use, and seems to be a great unit.  Plus your nerd status goes up with something cool like this :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back