Got a new source at a surplus auction
Jun 29, 2004 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Last Saturday, I participated in the University of Washington Surplus Property auction. In addition to a 500lb Haskris water chiller (only $2.50, unfortunately it turned out to be too old to be useful, but was an interesting challenge to get home and will be even more interesting to take apart) and a vacuum pump, I snagged a Tascam 34B reel-to-reel tape deck.

Despite falling on its face during transportation, it works (though the reels have to be a bit loose so they don't scrape on the faceplate too much to move -- I gotta fix it up a bit)

The difference between the Teac A-6300 is interesting. Whereas the Teac is very warm and fuzzy sounding, with a very "vintage" tonality, the Tascam is VERY clear and detailed. However, it doesn't lose the smooth liquidity of analog.

The bass is also much more present, if not as good as on the Arcam. The soundstaging on either unit is comparable, though I can't say for sure as again I need to give the Tascam a serious tune-up (anyone have a service manual?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back