Got a MAX? DX220MAX, DX300MAX or DX320MAX and get a PB5 Korg Nutube Amp at 40% off! Tubes and Stepped Attenuator.
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #46 of 114
Maybe you should explain more of what it is to you in the original question. To me, playing while plugged in, would be a desktop mode and running off of batteries while not plugged in, is not. Running off of the USB, which often isn't the cleanest and best quality DC is a bit of a detriment but being able to charge the batteries, run off of the DC from the batteries, is excellent and to me, very well can be called a desktop mode.
It depends. The XD05Pro for example does not have a DC in but uses the USB-C for power and draws as much as 12V depending on the gain setting.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #47 of 114
Yup, the noise floor should be more quiet and background should be blacker allowing listeners to hear deeper into the soundstage when running of batteries.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 114
No, I don't think so. The D16 can not operate without battery. It can play and charge at the same time. However, once it gets full charges, it would stop charging, and would not trigger charging again until unplugging and plugging back in. Therefore, the best way is to listen to it without charging for a few hours and then listening to it with the charger connected

Though, I wouldn't call running off the battery to being a true desktop mode as it may be confusing. I would call it a "dongle mode" or battery "bypass mode".

The reason why the D16 doesnt feature Battery Bypass mode is in it designs, of which makes the D16 to be an amazing DAC in my opinion. I wouldnt want it to have the ability to run off straight USB power and bypassing Battery. Especially, the dirty USB regulated voltages. The D16 is more than that, and because she is such a supermodel in her own rights, she completely deserves to be special and treated so
Thanks. That clarifies it !

I just don’t like the hassle of charging and not charging because I use devices like these connected always to PC, Console etc. Also in the past I had bad experience using a DAC with battery always connected. In a few months, the battery bulged and so on, it was a mess. This was a Shanling DAC. Since that experience I never leave anything with a battery always connected to a power source (USB included).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 114
Thanks. That clarifies it !

I just don’t like the hassle of charging and not charging because I use devices like these connected always to PC, Console etc. Also in the past I had bad experience using a DAC with battery always connected. In a few months, the battery bulged and so on, it was a mess. This was a Shanling DAC. Since that experience I never leave anything with a battery always connected to a power source (USB included).
Ah, for concerning of battery, there is no need to worries. Because the D16 can easily be serviced by DIY and swap out packs

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #51 of 114
I know that Paul is much more helpful and responds quickly than some of the other brands.
I’m considering the D16. Thanks again !
The D16 doesn't go all the way to 100% on the charge of the battery, so leaving it hooked up, is not an issue. The PB5 about 80%. The batteries are extremely easy to change and access but we have also built in the system to not overcharge the batteries so they should have a long life.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #53 of 114
Got the PB5 along with the D16 today. Literally mind blown with the audio performance from this combo and I am no stranger to highend TOTL desktop top system. Ibasso, you have done such a marvelous job on the PB5 and D16 combo….truly a near flawless performance. IMG_7007.jpeg

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #54 of 114
Got the PB5 along with the D16 today. Literally mind blown with the audio performance from this combo and I am no stranger to highend TOTL desktop top system. Ibasso, you have done such a marvelous job on the PB5 and D16 combo….truly a near flawless performance.
Welcome to the club !!

Exactly ! Neither of us have lacked experiences with high end desktop combo , nor portable , and this combination is literally mind blowing. Honestly, I don’t even think there would be any thing else out there in the portable world , in the stack set up, can out perform this right at this moment, let alone a simple single DAP. Because even Dx320M is a far cry from what this combo can do.

Ibasso with this combination has turned what I have thought of as impossible to become possible, Analogues musical performances from digital music

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #55 of 114
Got the PB5 along with the D16 today. Literally mind blown with the audio performance from this combo and I am no stranger to highend TOTL desktop top system. Ibasso, you have done such a marvelous job on the PB5 and D16 combo….truly a near flawless performance.IMG_7007.jpeg
Oh man! Toxic hype thread…..
I was about to purchase the A2P portable R2R Nos Dac, now my mind is dazed and confused and even more so when my PB5 arrives- hopefully Paul able to get it shipped before he proceed to prepare and enjoy his LNY.

A firm believer in good source and amp.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #56 of 114
Oh man! Toxic hype thread…..
I was about to purchase the A2P portable R2R Nos Dac, now my mind is dazed and confused and even more so when my PB5 arrives- hopefully Paul able to get it shipped before he proceed to prepare and enjoy his LNY.

A firm believer in good source and amp.
Honestly, out of both pieces of PB5 and D16, the piece that I would value the most would be the D16. Even using it built in amp from a good Source, it is already blowing other systems out of the water

There are 2 reasons

1/ The D16 turns the impossible of digital music to become analogues

2/ The D16 has the same amp architecture as the 320Max, which is Super class A with enough power to make my MDR Z1R sing out it heart

Heck, even when comparing my Pc USB into D16 alone is already beating out my PB USB into my desktop DAC. It isn’t easy to do so, not even DMP Z1 could touch it

I sound like I am hyping it, and that is why I urge everyone who has the chance, to please, go and audition it out yourself, don’t just take my words for it

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #57 of 114
Honestly, out of both pieces of PB5 and D16, the piece that I would value the most would be the D16. Even using it built in amp from a good Source, it is already blowing other systems out of the water

There are 2 reasons

1/ The D16 turns the impossible of digital music to become analogues

2/ The D16 has the same amp architecture as the 320Max, which is Super class A with enough power to make my MDR Z1R sing out it heart

Heck, even when comparing my Pc USB into D16 alone is already beating out my PB USB into my desktop DAC. It isn’t easy to do so, not even DMP Z1 could touch it

I sound like I am hyping it, and that is why I urge everyone who has the chance, to please, go and audition it out yourself, don’t just take my words for it
Sorry but aren’t you starting to exaggerate now ?

1. That is what a DAC means, convert digital to analog. Whether it’s D16 or any other DAC in the world.
2. Every Chi-fi DAC/AMP combo these days feature Class A and AB amps. I have the MDR-Z1R. It doesn’t need high power. It sings even out of mobile phones. Even Sony themselves have said this.

D16 is better than DMP-Z1, really ?

I understand every brand/thread on this forum has some reviewers/fans who promote the brand and their products. But really you and @jamato8 are blowing the iBasso threads out of proportion. Best in the world, impossible conversion from digital to analog ?

There was a time when reviews meant something. Nowadays it sure feels like reviews are done just for the sake of pleasing the manufacturer to get continued review samples and discounts.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #58 of 114
Sorry but aren’t you starting to exaggerate now ?

1. That is what a DAC means, convert digital to analog. Whether it’s D16 or any other DAC in the world.
2. Every Chi-fi DAC/AMP combo these days feature Class A and AB amps. I have the MDR-Z1R. It doesn’t need high power. It sings even out of mobile phones. Even Sony themselves have said this.

D16 is better than DMP-Z1, really ?

I understand every brand/thread on this forum has some reviewers/fans who promote the brand and their products. But really you and @jamato8 are blowing the iBasso threads out of proportion. Best in the world, impossible conversion from digital to analog ?

There was a time when reviews meant something. Nowadays it sure feels like reviews are done just for the sake of pleasing the manufacturer to get continued review samples and discounts.
I will state my words again
Here, let me give you another feedback from a good friend of mine who have invested so much into this hobby, and his impressions. This is out of the box, and there are more after burn in

He doesn’t post much, because really, it is not easy to help people out. Especially those who never heard the system or have enough experiences to judges the systems from a good references

IMG_1680.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #59 of 114
I will state my words again

Am I exaggerating it ? Not even close. I never do, but if that is what you think I do, then it is your losses.

Hearing is believing, please, go listen for yourself, otherwise it is your losses. I have nothing to lose or gain

I will shut up from now on
I meant no disrespect. I just didn’t know how else to say it, sorry.

Problem with auditioning is, not every country/city has this privilege. At least where I live, there are no dealers nearby. The only option is to buy it online. Sure there’s an option to return it if it’s not suitable but there’s a limit to these returns as well.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #60 of 114
I meant no disrespect. I just didn’t know how else to say it, sorry.

Problem with auditioning is, not every country/city has this privilege. At least where I live, there are no dealers nearby. The only option is to buy it online. Sure there’s an option to return it if it’s not suitable but there’s a limit to these returns as well.

I understand your feelings and can relate to it as a consumer myself. I was tired of being ripped off for 5% improvements over the previous years.

There is not enough words I can say to really describe what the D16 can do. I understand now that the more I say, would be the less helpful I am. Especially from people who have not experienced the system yet

Don’t feel sorry about it. If you love music at heart the way that I do, then you owe it to yourself, an audition with the D16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back