got a mac mini
Feb 6, 2006 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Got it for $300 new at my Compusa. Good deal but I need to do work on it.
biggrin.gif

1) it's only got 256MB and that was never realistic for OSX. I'm going to put 1GB in there
2) harddrive is slow. 4200rpm.
3) no wireless. No problem as i can add my own USB device of choice with better antennae and reception.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 17
Feb 8, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 17
I upgraded the memory for a friend: Mac specifies pc2700 but pc3200 of a decent make works fine and is actually cheaper than the older model. Get a 1 meg chip from Newegg for around $80.00.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fvoelling
Ian,

Congratulations on the mini! My wife just got one recently, she loves it. If you're looking to add another hard drive, here's a great little add-on enclosure for it (first link is manufacturer, 2nd best reseller we've found):

http://www.newertech.com/ministack

I have that M9 enclosure, with a 400GB Hitachi inside, and it is not exactly quiet (the drive that is). The fan only kicked in when I transfered all my tracks over which took a while, but I can hear the drive spinning. You want a known quiet HDD inside this thing if you plan to have it near your rig. Very nice enclosure though, ports a plenty, very effective passive cooling.

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
I upgraded the memory for a friend: Mac specifies pc2700 but pc3200 of a decent make works fine and is actually cheaper than the older model. Get a 1 meg chip from Newegg for around $80.00.

I think you mean 1 gig not meg
tongue.gif
I did order 1GB from newegg and it's coming in today
smily_headphones1.gif
Should be fun. Im' going to hold up upgrading the harddrive for now. I'm only interested in speed not space though.

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 17
I ordered mine with 512MB of RAM and Bluetooth. Mine is the first model with 1.25Ghz and 40GB. I'm running out of space and I thought of ordering a LaCie mini 80GB but now I see this miniStack that is much more cheaper but does it comes ready with the HD or you have to add your own?

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I think you mean 1 gig not meg
tongue.gif
I did order 1GB from newegg and it's coming in today
smily_headphones1.gif
Should be fun. Im' going to hold up upgrading the harddrive for now. I'm only interested in speed not space though.

Indeed, you're right. Just to let you know, it is a major pain in the ass to get the aluminium case off the mobo and gut-assembly. Find a how-to and take care!

Feb 9, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 17
Got the memory. Funny stuff though. I was expecting it from newegg from NJ via UPS. I got a fedex box which was shipped via UPS and it was "from" california. Could it be any more confusing what I was receiving. I was afraid it was my headphones I was getting from AKG but thought this was too small.

Feb 9, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 17
How'd you get it for $300?
redface.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
How'd you get it for $300?
redface.gif

Yes! I would like to know how too. CompUSA promotion? Refurb?

Would like to get my hands on a temporary new mac for the time being (before I get anything more powerful).

Feb 9, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Well Compusa is having clearance on some older model Apple computers. The inventory at your stores will differ. Maybe they might have some or none. I originally tried to get a powerbook G4 12" with combo drive but they ran out as I took too long to think about it. As for the mac minis, there are some store display models I saw for $400 which was the faster 1.42ghz one with 80GB harddrive. You might run into some of these or other spec ones. My particular clearance deal at another compusa in my area was like $470 for the unit NEW WITH apple care. I said I didn't want applecare which they agree and dropped it to $320. Then I had a $20 off $100+ coupon only valid in NYC area. $300. awesome
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Well I'm overclocked to 1.5ghz now. 1GB RAM. I'll save a new harddrive for later. All is well
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well I'm overclocked to 1.5ghz now. 1GB RAM. I'll save a new harddrive for later. All is well
smily_headphones1.gif

Is that safe for the mac mini with only a passive cooling unit and little room to breath?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back