Got a Discount for HD800S... Debating if I Want to Check Them Out if I Like HD 600 A Lot
Oct 28, 2021 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lalapuni

100+ Head-Fier
I can get new HD 800S pretty cheap, and even though it'll make a noticeable hole in my budget, I think it might be worth it, seeing how much I like the Sennheiser headphones. Especially if I return HD 600 and keep 800s as daily driver, while I still have the time.

The few things that bother me:
1) apparently HD800S are brighter than HD 600? I like 560s a lot but when listening A and B (HD 600 and 560S), I found that 560s is uncomfortably brighter, not a lot but enough to make me want to be with HD 600. It's not beyerdynamic by any means, I just thought HD 600 was noticeably more comfortable to listen to with its brightness.

2) soundstage being too wide? I listen to synth as much as classical, and I think synth sounds a little better to me when the soundstage isn't huge and more intimate

3) what about the bass? I think HD600 bass satisfies me very much, it never feels too much.

And if it matters, I'm planning to use it with a dac/amp under 300-350$. Currently on Fiio K5 Pro but I might be able to get something different from someone I know later this year. Don't really want to get any equipment that's more expensive.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 8
You want to use HD800S with Fiio? Lol.

If I were you I would trade HD600 for HD650. They are "warmer" than HD600 (I find it the same), also intimate, a lot of detail, nice bass (better than HD600)... Vocals are nice, I was reading on the internet about "veil" and I expected truly laid-back experience, but no. Treble is a bit recessed but it's absolutely normal and fine. And they have nice resell value after.

And again, I am not seeing a point using 1800 euros HD800S with Fiio k5 or any other "budget" amp or stack... Please prove me I am wrong about it.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 8
I didn't find the 800/800s to be harsh, but if you found the 560s to be harsh then idk. Soundstage is wide on the 800s but it contributes to the great stage it provides. Bass is comparable to the 6xx. A $350 is fine.

I think you should stay with the 6xx, but if you decide to upgrade that wouldn't be a bad choice
Hmm, what about an amp?

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Most amps would work well with the HD800, but I’d recommend tubes or balanced
I've decided not to try it. Even if I could justify the discounted price, the repair costs would be too much. If something happens to them. Plus the brightness is simply not okay for my health and the wide sound stage will likely not work well for some of the music I like to listen to.
I was interested in trying ATH R70X out of curiosity and see how their warm neutral signature would work but Best Buy doesnt sell them anymore. They went "sold out" one time, then reappeared, then sold out again and they've been completely removed from the website. So, if I do get those and dislike, I'd have to wait weeks for Amazon to refund me.

It's alright, I'm very satisfied with HD 600 and they seem to be the ideal option for me.

I trust Crinacle's ranking the most as I've had similar opinions to his reviews 99% of the time. According to his ranking, the only two headphones that are in the A category (S, A, B, C, D) and don't cost more than 500$ are HD 600 and ATH-R70X. And 800s is actually rated B because of its bright tilt, with technical quality obviously being very good. So, I'll just stay with 600 and try a better amp, I don't need anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back