Google Ads are Destroying Head-Fi
Jun 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
Head-Fi is not loading today. It seems (these days) every time I have problems with Head-Fi going slow or not loading at all- it's hung up in Google Ads somewhere.

1212779276.jpg

The way it is now the ads are the most important content and if they don't load you don't get to see the Head-Fi page.

I just waited and watched for 10 minutes as Head-Fi tried to load a page and the Google Ad thing never loaded and Head-Fi never finished.

I’ve seen this here on Head-Fi lot and it’s always stuck trying to load Google Ads.

Mitch

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 15
There should be an ad-free version of Head-Fi for paying contributors. I already contribute and would give more for an ad-free site that loads fast.

Contributors don't get photo hosting any longer, so eliminating the ads would be a terrific benefit for those of us who pay.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 15
i use firefox and dont even know what a google ad is, maybe its time to switch over to firefox and download some ad blocking add-ons

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm not really complaining about the ads.

I just wish the content loaded first and the ads after that.

It just seems for me- when Head-Fi doesn't load or is slow if I look down at the Task Bar it's stuck at a Google Ad.

I only have 8 hours at work and waiting for Head-Fi to load is cutting into my free time.

Mitch

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 15
The internet is just one great big advertising site now. You can't get away from it. I remember years ago when pop-up ads were only on bad Geocities pages, pr0n and warez sites.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 15
I fully agree with Uncle Erik.
We "lost" our photo hosting during the take-out last year, and a ad-free version would be a nice replacer. I would even pay additional $$ for one.

I understand that Google Ads help keeping the forum alive. But its quite annoying that it takes full control of page loading..

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi is not loading today. It seems (these days) every time I have problems with Head-Fi going slow or not loading at all- it's hung up in Google Ads somewhere.

The way it is now the ads are the most important content and if they don't load you don't get to see the Head-Fi page.

I just waited and watched for 10 minutes as Head-Fi tried to load a page and the Google Ad thing never loaded and Head-Fi never finished.

I’ve seen this here on Head-Fi lot and it’s always stuck trying to load Google Ads.

Mitch

It's not that Ads are most important things so that it's always first on the list. The way you design any web page is to load any web based modules and programs first and then program the body codes. That's why if there's issue with any of those, you're more likely to see broken or emtpy body page.

I see that you're running internet explorer as a browser. While it does the job, it's too buggy at times. Before, internet explore was good because every website was designed for IE but nowa days it's designed for more universal programs like firefox. So, I'd suggest you try firefox instead of the internet explore. (Maybe you already have.)

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi has always been one of slowest sites I visit on the net, but I've never had a problem with the Google ads not loading.

EK

same here, not a complaint but more just wondering why? any other computer or internet device i used headfi was always the slowest for loading, sometimes worse then other times. not much of a problem like i said i just wandered why..

i don't see any ad's on my screen though when i have not been on my pc and not signed in the site was still slow to load compared to mostly anything else i visit, even on the iphone its the same thing.

oh well...
as long as Ebay is super fast..
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just seems for me- when Head-Fi doesn't load or is slow if I look down at the Task Bar it's stuck at a Google Ad.

I have had that happen too.

I just wish the bar would move to the right again, and the google ads would load last.

Matt

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Switch to firefox! And if you're using peergaurdian, try shutting it off, because sometimes that messes with google ads and things like that.

Jun 6, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be an ad-free version of Head-Fi for paying contributors. I already contribute and would give more for an ad-free site that loads fast.

Contributors don't get photo hosting any longer, so eliminating the ads would be a terrific benefit for those of us who pay.

I agree. I love head-fi and I realize the importance of the ads, but for those of us who have contributed should get an ad-free head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back