goodbye kgss
Nov 11, 2004 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
for those of you who have kgss amps built by a member of this forum who i wont name (although he doesnt post here anymore) beware. it has been known for some time that the design of the amp was changed by this builder. some of the people who bought those amps either got their money back or had them repaired by others, but for those of you who didnt, if you exist, do not think that your amp is going to live. mine just blew up. and will probably end up being a total loss for me, unless its not really expensive to fix, because i already have enough money and time invested in this pile of crap. just a few words of warning in case there are any of you out there...

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 21
It literally blew up? Can you have it repaired by the builder? Did you contact him?

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 21
oh man. not much to add there except sorry for your loss.

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 21
frown.gif

sad to hear that you lost your KGSS.

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 21
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
frown.gif

Will this experience change the way you will purchase your next amp?

DBSE or retail w/ warranty?

Did you post about your loss in the DIY section?
Maybe someone there can help?
confused.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 21
Hey that's right - this is Dr. Gilmore's design, right? Maybe the friendly folks at Headamp could help you for a repair fee, or maybe Dr. Gilmore himself?

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 21
yeah, i dont think ill ever do diy again unless it was someone like JMT who is very well known around here. as far as the diy forum, i have no clue what im doing inside that amp. all i can say is it looks like at least one diode is fried, other than that i have no ideas at all. i do know however, there was discussion about power supplies in these things, and that the amps generally run hot, other than that???????????

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 21
I am absolutely positive this amp was not built by Justin Wilson (Headamp) because I know his build quality and attention to detail.

I think I know who the builder of this amp is but since you dont seem to be interested in warning others...I will not make any guesses.

All I can say is - this is NOT the first time this has happened...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 21
It was zzz. Why would you not give the name? This place is bad enough about pursuing scams already.

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 21
i wont mention names because the people who have his amps already know the situation. if others want to make that call, thats fine. and of course its not justin, didnt i say that this builder has disappeared, read my post it clearly states i want to warn others, learn to read. thanks for all the other condolences....

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 21
That's terrible. If you have a Paypal address and start a contribution-type thing I'm sure a few Head-Fi members, myself included, would donate a few dollars to help you pay for the repairs.

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 21
chris, thats way too cool of you to say something like that. but theres no way i could accept something like that. you are obviously a very kind person, but save your money for people who really need it, this is a luxury, not a need.

Nov 12, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
i wont mention names because the people who have his amps already know the situation. if others want to make that call, thats fine. and of course its not justin, didnt i say that this builder has disappeared, read my post it clearly states i want to warn others, learn to read. thanks for all the other condolences....

Perhaps you could warn potential buyers of a used amp by this unnamed person?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back