Good textured lowend, decent vocals and decayed highs after 10-12Khz. What headpones?
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OCC7N

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a headphone that is not boomy but has a good texured lowend and upper mids.

Not too veiled on vocals. Should be decent.

Everything after 12Khz has very little interest.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Possible to find?

Open-backs dynamic headphone is most preferrred.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 10
The one that comes to mind is the Focal Elegia which is perfect for people who get treble fatigue. It's smooth without harsh highs in that range, it rolls off gracefully. Also the best fit and finish I've ever seen in a headphone, I felt like an important celebrity wearing them :) The other is the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X which really fits the bill you're describing. Both look great, equally comfortable and easy to drive (like Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter easy).

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 10
The one that comes to mind is the Focal Elegia which is perfect for people who get treble fatigue. It's smooth without harsh highs in that range, it rolls off gracefully. Also the best fit and finish I've ever seen in a headphone, I felt like an important celebrity wearing them :) The other is the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X which really fits the bill you're describing. Both look great, equally comfortable and easy to drive (like Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter easy).
Looks great!

I forgot to mention that I prefere open-backs because I get fatigue from closed backs.

How are they vs other closed-backs?

I mean Bathys is open at the top. I did not get a long with them because of mic issues. Good sound but I wish the woofer was softer.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 10
SASH Tres. I have the Tres 45ohm, which I will admit does get soft toward the upper midrange and treble. However the latest model, the SASH Tres SE, addresses this according to reviews.

But even the Tres 45 has a sublime signature: effortless and articulate bass, gorgeous vocals, and a euphonic smoothness that goes on for days.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 10
SASH Tres. I have the Tres 45ohm, which I will admit does get soft toward the upper midrange and treble. However the latest model, the SASH Tres SE, addresses this according to reviews.

But even the Tres 45 has a sublime signature: effortless and articulate bass, gorgeous vocals, and a euphonic smoothness that goes on for days.
Looks sweet! - good price also.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Looks sweet! - good price also.

As far as I can tell, everyone who has it, loves it - myself included.

Probably also worth looking at JM Audio Editions. They'll work with you to tune the headphones to your exact preferences. I'm not speaking as an owner, but the commentary here on HeadFi is quite positive.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Focal Clear MG could fit the bill. Also the 1st generation Kennerton Gjallarhorn. It is a closed back, but much more like a semi open. Still my favorite set of cans. Sub and mid bass are awesome, quantity and quality. Layered and dynamic. Low mids and upper bass are warm and inviting. The presence region is what I would consider moderately dark, not much extension up top. Still detailed, excellent separation. Fairly fast too. The MG is similar, though not as dark, a little faster transient response. Doesn't pack quite the thump as the Gjallarhorn and not quite as smooth.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 10
The Kennerton looks very nice and custom.

Will have to try them first. They look kind of small(on-ear)

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 10
The Kennerton looks very nice and custom.

Will have to try them first. They look kind of small(on-ear)
Average size. Should have no problems. I'm referring to the original version. The JM mk2 version are different - bass cannons. Not sure where to find the original unfortunately.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Average size. Should have no problems. I'm referring to the original version. The JM mk2 version are different - bass cannons. Not sure where to find the original unfortunately.
Thanks! - good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back