Good quality DAC/amp for HD600
Aug 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ghaunty22

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone recommend a good desktop dac/amp for HD600?

I was looking at the audioengine D1, but is it really good enough to drive the HD600?

Prob better off with Matrix M stage.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 13
You looking for a 2 on 1 unit? are you okay with separates? 

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 13
The HD600s are surprisingly easy to drive. Dedicated amps improve them, though.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Can someone recommend a good desktop dac/amp for HD600?

I was looking at the audioengine D1, but is it really good enough to drive the HD600?

Prob better off with Matrix M stage.

What is your budget?
Is this for music? movies? gaming?

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
What is your budget?
Is this for music? movies? gaming?

Hmm I dont really have a budget, my thinking so far is 150 is pretty good, while 300 is plenty/optimal and 400+ gets only very small increase.
I find it hard to justify spending more than the headphones are worth. music is only priority. Although blurays would be good.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 13
don't want to be leading your budget astray by any means, but I was in a similar situation as yourself several weeks ago..

right now there is a Burson 160D on sale in the trade forums going for 650US$. If you think you might want to eventually upgrade to something better, there is a possibility of stepping into that arena for a v. good price IMO.  I was looking for a similar solution some time ago and I as commented in the ad, I would have jumped on the deal in a heartbeat.

If you want to respect your budget, I think a HRT MSII + Mstage is definitely bang for buck.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 13
I really enjoy my Audio-gd NFB-12.  Sounds great, plenty of power, variety of inputs.  Best part is that it is wallet friendly. 

I generally alternate between using it as dac/amp, or as dac only to my LD MKIV when I feel the urge for tubes.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
don't want to be leading your budget astray by any means, but I was in a similar situation as yourself several weeks ago..

right now there is a Burson 160D on sale in the trade forums going for 650US$. If you think you might want to eventually upgrade to something better, there is a possibility of stepping into that arena for a v. good price IMO.  I was looking for a similar solution some time ago and I as commented in the ad, I would have jumped on the deal in a heartbeat.

If you want to respect your budget, I think a HRT MSII + Mstage is definitely bang for buck.

I totally agree.  Wait!  I sold you my HRT MS II.  Arg.  The HRT MS II is a beautiful sounding DAC and the asychronous mode is just the icing on the cake.  When using the HRT MS II on the USB connector of my laptop, I would work perfectly without a hitch.  Other USB DACS would sometimes experience and small "bump" in the sound when opening certain applications or Web sites.  Granted, since I use the other inputs on the other DACs, I don't experience the issue.  However, if one is forced to use the USB port, then the HRT Music Streamer II is king.

Quote:
I really enjoy my Audio-gd NFB-12.  Sounds great, plenty of power, variety of inputs.  Best part is that it is wallet friendly. 

I generally alternate between using it as dac/amp, or as dac only to my LD MKIV when I feel the urge for tubes.

Ironically, I sold my NFB-12 and HE-500 headphones to a buyer here who really liked what the NFB-12 provided.  In fact, it was so good, that he put up his Schiit Lyr and other higher-end DAC for sale.  I think he's hooked on the Audio-GD products.  I'm currently running the "FUN" - which is a great piece, if you can find one used since they don't make it anymore.  The NFB-5 has essentially taken the slot of the "Fun" model.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 13
@Steven,

hmm im not sure if I understand fully.

Are you saying I should just get the HRT amp & it will be great value. or its really best to get that & the M stage too? Do you combine 2amps for more power or something?

I also plan on getting some grado 325s soon & making sure I can use them too.

thanks again.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
@Steven,

hmm im not sure if I understand fully.

Are you saying I should just get the HRT amp & it will be great value. or its really best to get that & the M stage too? Do you combine 2amps for more power or something?

I also plan on getting some grado 325s soon & making sure I can use them too.

thanks again.

The HRT is a DAC - the M Stage is the amp.

BTW - I own both the HD600 and Grado SR325i (mine are woodied).  For a bang for buck dac/amp combo - the NFB-12 is suitable for both.  It has a really nice full body on it and low impedance from the H/P out - so suitable for the Grados as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose though.  The HRT / M-Stage combo seems pretty good as well.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

The HRT is a DAC - the M Stage is the amp.

BTW - I own both the HD600 and Grado SR325i (mine are woodied).  For a bang for buck dac/amp combo - the NFB-12 is suitable for both.  It has a really nice full body on it and low impedance from the H/P out - so suitable for the Grados as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose though.  The HRT / M-Stage combo seems pretty good as well.

Thanks, alot clearer now. Hard choice it seems.

The NFB-12 sounds very attractive, but for a bit more with hrt + m stage I dont wanna miss out on that bit extra quality. But will I notice it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back