good Power Supply for V-dac??
Apr 7, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a linear regulated DPS always makes a hell of a diff over a SMPS wall wart, try it someday instead of making wild guesses on internet boards.

Bon Jour !

Where I live (Austria, Slovenia) we do no have issues with the power grid (not yet). And it is not a wild guess (tried it with some CREEK dac and pre and Hp amp recently). It is better then to buy a DAC with a better PSU built in.
You need a good pair of speakers (or HP), to tell the sublime difference but then you probably can afford a better DAC as well ? Si'il vous plais ?

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard some horror stories about some of the cheap 110V/220V 50hz units failing rather quickly when used with 115/230+ mains V's.

ok, thanks for the details! Firestone told me that using their 220V DPS on 230V was perfectly fine...so did their european importer.

well, there's a lot of chinese units that have a bunch of toroidal transfos right next to the audio components w/o any shielding whatsoever...they'll emit EMI like there's no tomorrow, right? is that still "better" than a wallwart?

oh ok, that would explain why the Firestone PSU is given for 24VDC 500mA, but has a 200mA fuse anyway.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 20
Coming late to this discussion, and also planning to use the Pyramid power supply to a V-DAC, but am puzzled about the polarity of the cord. Which conductor of the cord goes to the positive output on the power supply, and which to the negative? Yes, I'm a complete novice -- just don't want to blow anything up!

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 20
I just installed my V-Dac last week between an Airport Express and my High End Amplifier. Especially the more noisy music does sound cleared and better and less messy. 

As power supply I bought an old 13,8V Regulated Power Supply (see picture). I have not connected it yet. 

My questions are:
  1. This PSU hums a lot. When placed on its metal feet everything resonates. Only when placed on a piece of foam the noise is gone. Is this normal for an old amp like this?
  2. Is there any risk of the 13,8V doing any harm to the 12 Volts V-Dac?

Thanks,
Jaap

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #20 of 20
Experiment:

It is told a battery is the best power supply for an audio component. So I modded a 12V powerless drill with an out cable. The V-Dac still works fortunately. There is a noticably sound difference. It aren't the basses but more so the very high tones you can hear better. Little bells and sandy noises are more pronounced. I believe I don't like this effect so much. For now I use the standard power supply but I will try the battery later again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back