Good pleather for earpads?
Feb 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

takato14

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been hard pressed to find a good synthetic leather to use for earpads, everything I've tried so far is way too stiff and hard to be used as an earpad. I need to make a new pair of pads for my SE-700s since their pleather has long since disintegrated and flaked off.  Can anyone help me out?

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Any other suggestions? Ultraleather seems a tad overkill unless I could get a swatch or something.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 7
I was unable to find anything other than upholstery vinyl in the local fabric shops, so I looked to eBay. The best I found was "fetish vinyl." It's thin, takes a needle well and comes in two-way stretch. But it doesn't feel rubbery like most pleather. It leaned more to the papery side of things. I made a couple test pads out of it, but realized that I wasn't reaching my acoustic objectives (bad design), so I put it aside.

PM me and I can pop a swatch to you by regular mail. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I was unable to find anything other than upholstery vinyl in the local fabric shops, so I looked to eBay. The best I found was "fetish vinyl." It's thin, takes a needle well and comes in two-way stretch. But it doesn't feel rubbery like most pleather. It leaned more to the papery side of things. I made a couple test pads out of it, but realized that I wasn't reaching my acoustic objectives (bad design), so I put it aside.

PM me and I can pop a swatch to you by regular mail. 

Searching that on eBay got a lot of... bad... things. I'll have to take you up on that.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Calf skin leather feels pretty good.  If you're good enough with a sewing machine to sew pleather, why not try the real thing?  The pleather on my MDR-CD3000s disintegrated, and this is what I used for the headband repair.  Replacement CD3000 earpad knock-offs are still available so I did not have to attempt repair of the pads.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Searching that on eBay got a lot of... bad... things. I'll have to take you up on that.

I should have warned you. Looking for thin vinyl took me to some very prissy home-decor websites and some very NSFW websites too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back