Good Music player combo on the go. Must have tactile controls
Jan 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

RayleighSilvers

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. 

I'm on the lookout for a new portable music player. I've had the sansa clip (v1) for over a year with rockbox and while the form factor and controls are absolutely perfect, I'm not enjoying the sound from it at all. I have Soundmagic E10's and koss ksc75, and the music just sounds dull and boring. Bass is very subtle and has very little impact. 

I've done some research on Cowon's sound enhancers (bbe+, jet effect etc) and they sound exactly like what I'm looking for. Trouble is cowon are very adamant on touchscreen and stupid slider controls. I can't understand why they haven't made a pmp that is just for music with a screen and tactile buttons. I need something I can use on the go without having to take it out of my pocket. 

I've looked at the Cowon S9. the design looks rubbish (as does the rest of their products) but it seems like on of the few products that has the full range of controls (i.e Play/pause, Vol +/-, Skip, Fwd/Rev). Although I'm not entirely sure that you can skip with the buttons (can somebody confirm this?). Problem with the S9 is that it is a bit big but also the buttons are in an awkward position compared to the headphone jack. If I have it upside down it looks like the play/pause button will get pressed, and vice versa for the headphone wire.

The other option I was considering was Sansa clip+ with a digizoid ZO2. Problem here is that digizoid isn't available in my country (England) so I will have to ship it in. Also it only has one function (increasing bass) where as the cowon has a whole load of useful settings.

Can anybody suggest any other options? 
Requirements are
  1. Must have full tactile buttons, and be able to operate without taking out of pocket
  2. Sound enhancers rivaling Cowon's
  3. Musn't be too big
  4. Should be as cheap as possible. Cowon's J3 would probably be perfect as has the buttons and features but it is way too expensive.

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back