Good materials for earpads?
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

takato14

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to re-fabricate earpads for an old vintage headphone on which the earpads and headband are worn-out. 

I had been looking at some vinyl/pleather but I've heard that pleather doesn't breathe very well. Maximum comfort is the goal here, because the headphones are painfully uncomfortable as-is.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 7
'le bump.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Be careful when changing the original earpads as different materials will change the sound of the headphone, often quite dramatically.

Pleather earpads tend to keep the vacuum of air allowing for a more powerful bass response with more 'slam'.
Velour/foam will allow the air to circulate somewhat (therefore also more comfortable) and will give a more 'airy' sound with less bass. This can also improve separation/detail and soundstage. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 7
The headphones are infamous for sounding like garbage anyways, so I'm not too concerned about it. As far as I know the original material was pleather, it's deteriorated pretty bad on the set I have so it's hard to tell.

For reference, I'm restoring a Pioneer SE-500. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
The headphones are infamous for sounding like garbage anyways, so I'm not too concerned about it. As far as I know the original material was pleather, it's deteriorated pretty bad on the set I have so it's hard to tell.

For reference, I'm restoring a Pioneer SE-500. 

OMG. Please let me know how your restoration goes and what you did. I am very interested in doing the same thing to the SE-500. But I'd recommend a material that is like pleather, because the originals were like that to begin with, right? Anyway, if you want more comfort though, get some velour pads. If I end up getting the SE-500, I'd want to make the earpads over ear, not on ear. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 7
The way the SE-500 is designed makes it pretty much impossible to make them into over ears without making them look stupid, lol. Though, I haven't actually tried, so I'll play around with pad sizes and shapes.

And don't worry, I'm making a worklog. Once I receive the pleather I ordered I'll get the thread up and running :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back