Good IEMS or maybe portable closed headphones, around 150$ish, for various types of rock? Debating between Vsonic VC1000 or GR07 but would seriously welcome other suggestions (I'm a noob)
Nov 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sameatschildren

New Head-Fier
Looking for IEMs, thinking Vsonic GR07 or VC1000 or whatever you can suggest if you think something else would suit me better. I'm worried that the Gr07 may sound too plain/boring for me but that the VC1000 may be too 'fun'. Or maybe the GR07 bass version is too fun. I don't know.

I'm not particularly experienced so my descriptions might be overly long and bad, and I haven't listened to any good earphones at all to really identify a sound.

1. Budget – Around 150$ give or take 20$. The price of the VC1000s is very nice and I can get my hands on the GR07 Bass version for 130ish. Please do recommend anything else if you can think of something!
  2. Source – Zune HD (I hate it)
  3. Requirements for Isolation - I'm always in the metro or on a bus or walking around through busy halls or downtown so a lot of isolation is best, but I'll pick SQ over isolation any day unless its really poor.
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone – preferably IEM, would consider closed headphones, just need to make sure they're big enough to cover my ridiculously large ears that stick out like satellites to boot.
  5. Preferred tonal balance – Man, I don't even know. I'll describe my past experience with Klipsch S4 and that may help? What I do know though is I want something that is super clear and detailed and allows me to pick out each instrument. I want each note to sound lively, smooth and pure and sweet and brilliant, but deep, not thin and frail, I want it to still have energy all over and depth and boom where it needs it, I want to hear every detail but still have it sound symphonic and harmonious and rich and full. I probably just contradicted myself a lot, and I know I can't have everything at this price range, but I need something like that. 
  6. Past headphones – Had a pair of Klipsch S4s for a couple years but they just crapped out on me. I was unimpressed from day 1 and found them really really really boring and flat and uninspiring to listen to. It felt like there was a filter over the music that made everything seem far away and like the music wasn't reaching me, and only putting it stupidly loud could help. I found it sounded thin and weak. Looking over the glossary, it was very blanketed. Whats more, everything was so muddled and crashy sounding at the high end - You know how when using photoshop you oversharpen an image and gets ugly and crackly sharp around the edges? It sounds like that. The bass was good, but darnit I want to feel the music in my soul, and these didn't do it for me at all. Loved the isolation and soft oval tips though. 
  7. Preferred Music – Alternative rock, indie rock, punk, grunge, garage, soft rock, experimental rock, alternative hip hop, random electronic and synthy stuff. Daft Punk to Nirvana the the Distillers or the Libertines to Fleetwood Mac and the Beatles to Gorillaz and the National and Phoenix and Wilco and Animal Collective and lots of things.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 3
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Yep, I looked through that thread or a similar one back when I bought my S4s as well. Thats how I picked out these VSonics today (spent a few hours looking at reviews all over the place). Someone recommended a Yamaha EPH-100 to me on reddit, and I think that one may be a reasonable contender as well. the TDK BA200 doesn't sound too appealing what with the apparently harsh treble. I'll take a look at the others though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back