good hip-hop variety/mix CDs (or your personal mix) out there?
Aug 19, 2005 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
my hip-hop collection is very selective and lacking variety--i have almost all roots, wu, tribe, nas, gza, jay z, raek, mos, gangstarr, etc... so.. many albums, but by few artists

i'd like to hear some new stuff, but, really, i dont have the money or desire to start picking up full albums left and right

are there good compilations out there to get? or, if some of you guys make mixed cds, can you post a few playlists so i can start tracking down the songs?

my preference leans towards east coast. thanks!

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
my hip-hop collection is very selective and lacking variety--i have almost all roots, wu, tribe, nas, gza, jay z, raek, mos, gangstarr, etc... so.. many albums, but by few artists

i'd like to hear some new stuff, but, really, i dont have the money or desire to start picking up full albums left and right

are there good compilations out there to get? or, if some of you guys make mixed cds, can you post a few playlists so i can start tracking down the songs?

my preference leans towards east coast. thanks!

For something new and different, check out MF Doom. Mostly Madvillain, then his Viktor Vaughan series, and then under MF Doom. At times he can be downright weird, like having 4 different names he does music under, or his 2nd album under the MF Doom name was about food, but he's damn intelligent and somewhat witty.
Madvillain: Rhinestone Cowboy, Accordion, Money Folder, I mean almost any track on the album except Rainbows and The Illest Villains (skit).

J-Live, anything off of Always Will Be. Short little EP, but arguably as good or better than his previous two LP albums. Though anything the guy does is pretty good, so you can't go wrong with just searching up J-Live.
J-Live

Aceyalone...anything really. I really enjoy his later albums, Love & Hate and Accepted Eclectic, but they are somewhat forgettable. However, they can be taken for one or two songs here and there, unlike his earlier stuff which seems to me better heard from beginning to end.
Aceyalone

Blackalicious, anything really, though the first album's experimental in beats and lyrics while the second is much more cohesive.
Blazing Arrow: First In Flight, 4000 Miles, Paragraph President, Purest Love, or any song of that album I think.

EDIT: Other things to consider:
Cannibal Ox-The Cold Vein. Very dark hip hop, but interesting and different change of pace from most anything.
One.Be.Lo-S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. Very good album, well written lyrics, so so beats.
Masters Of The Universe-Binary Star. Same as above (actually One.Be.Lo and another guy), damn good album. I think they were hosting the whole thing for free on their site.

And I'm hoping you have Jurassic 5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back