Good, heavy duty source for SA5k+M3 Combo ($350 max)?
Sep 25, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 52
I've been reading up more on the Rega Planet and it seems that it is a rather warm and neutral player, a la Sennheisers. Wouldn't the Planet be the complete opposite of what I should be looking for use with the SA5k's (I think it's safe to say that the SA5k's are pretty far from neutral?)? The idea of neutral sound sounds really awful, boring, and bland, which seems like it would ruin the signature of the SA5k's. So, any other recommendations specifically for the SA5k's?

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 52
Is that Onkyo really better than the Rega Planet 2000? I know price shouldn't always be used to determine quality, but I believe the Planet 2000 retails for MUCH, MUCH more. Also, how close does it match the SS of the SA5000s? I don't have an amp right now and probably won't have one when I get my CDP. So, what should I do to be able to use my headphones with the CDP? I know that some CDP's have a headphone jack, but it seems most don't.

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I don't have an amp right now and probably won't have one when I get my CDP. So, what should I do to be able to use my headphones with the CDP? I know that some CDP's have a headphone jack, but it seems most don't.

Use a receiver.

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Use a receiver.

Uh, what? Right now I have a cheap 10 year old Stereo system in my living room that is composed of a receiver, amplifier, cassette player, and cd player. It was a package thing and they all seem to work in unison or something. So, you're saying that I should remove the receiver (The top one with the EQ, Volume knobs, different modes, etc.) and run a cable from the audio output of the CDP I'm going to get into the Receiver and then hook up the amplifier to the receiver and then use that? Instead of having to disassemble my whole stereo just so I can use my new CDP with my HEADPHONES, I'd rather have a CDP with a built-in headphone amp. So, know any good, heavy duty CDP's good with the SA5k's that have a headphone jack? Would it be possible to have a CDP modded to have a headphone jack/amp in it?

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Uh, what? Right now I have a cheap 10 year old Stereo system in my living room that is composed of a receiver, amplifier, cassette player, and cd player. It was a package thing and they all seem to work in unison or something. So, you're saying that I should remove the receiver (The top one with the EQ, Volume knobs, different modes, etc.) and run a cable from the audio output of the CDP I'm going to get into the Receiver and then hook up the amplifier to the receiver and then use that? Instead of having to disassemble my whole stereo just so I can use my new CDP with my HEADPHONES, I'd rather have a CDP with a built-in headphone amp. So, know any good, heavy duty CDP's good with the SA5k's that have a headphone jack? Would it be possible to have a CDP modded to have a headphone jack/amp in it?

Use that receiver as your headphone amp until you get your dedicated amp like the M3. Plug your CDP into the receiver, then use the receiver's headphone amp. This is if you want to save money until you buy the M3.

Most cd players will not have a headphone amp better than the M3. The only CDP with a respectable headphone amp I can think of at the moment is the Eastern Electric Minimax, at $900. Is this within your budget? Also there is something for YOU to consider (since you seem to want the best raw horsepower-for-the-buck): would you consider a $900 source with a good internal headphone amp to be better AS A SOURCE ONLY than a $900 source without said headphone amp?

Sep 25, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

No, they're saying that you should plug the CDP into the reciever and use the recievers headphone jack until you get a headamp, at which point you lose the reciever and plug the headamp into the CDP.

Otherwise, it is probably a better idea to pick up a really cheap CMoy or something to use until you can get a better amp. The $30 or so a CMoy costs is better than spending a fair amount extra and possibly sacrificng quality of your CDP to get one with a headphone jack.

Sep 27, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 52
Uhh, my receiver doesn't have a headphone jack. Only the amplifier does.

Teerawit - No, I'd think that a $900 source with a high quality amp in it would be worse because more money for that source with into making that amp better , while more money went into making the source components better with the other CDP.

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #24 of 52
So, Rega Planet 2000 as the source then? The neutrality wouldn't kill the SA5k's sound signature?

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #25 of 52
I think in that case a NAD C542 would sound better, IMHO.

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #26 of 52
Okay, still looking for a good source. Now the max budget is $400 and I'm looking for something that is very fast, forward, and detailed (And not bass-shy). Please list as many great CDP's that you can think of that meet this criteria (I'm completely clueless when it comes to CDPs, so I only know about 2 or 3 different ones).

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #27 of 52
Is there a listing somewhere that includes generally all the good SACD players and not just the mainstream ones so I can get some more help in this search? I really have no idea what to look for and don't know many SACD players.

Nov 16, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #28 of 52
Bumparoo!

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #29 of 52
same boat as you so Ill give you a bump to the top!

Id love to ehar peoples opinions on the Rega
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #30 of 52
Alright Grasshopper, I'll throw my 2 cents into this discussion.

Stereophile defines neutral as being "free from coloration". I personally don't like using the term and in the context you seem to be using the term it seems even moreso out of place in describing the Rega Planet 2k. The Rega is a very nice player that tries to capture a more analog sound, it leans to a warmer, fuller sound that seemed to me to be a bit rolled off at the freq. extremes and sacrificed detail and air to achieve a more musical sound which goes against the definition of neutral as stated above.

Finding a CD player with a decent headphone output is a tough assignment. I agree with Teerawit that the MiniMax is the only one I know of that has a decent headamp but I don't agree with his assessment that because it includes a decent headamp that it's CD performance is somehow compromised compared to other players in it's price range. In fact in many instances the MiniMax compared favorably with machines costing much more and in my opinion is a much better player in both sound and build quality than a Rega Planet 2K which a few months back was selling for the same price as the MiniMax new. The MiniMax is now selling for $1100 and is maybe not quite the deal it once was and there are some other players like the Eastsound that have emerged at a lower price point that may be better on a purely sonic level but it still has the all-in-one, compact, tubed CD player market cornered. But neither of those players are in your price range so it's a moot point anyway.

So what worthwhile players are out there in your price range of $400? Unfortunately it doesn't seem like a whole lot. The NAD 521BEE and 542 are two choices that are usually recommended but I haven't heard either. The Cambridge Audio Azur 640C could be a contender as well. From my recollection it's faster, more balanced but a bit brighter and leaner than the Rega.

Have you considered a separate DAC solution? Probably some of the best deals in audio right now are the lower cost non-oversampling DAC's especially the ones coming out of Asia. I prefer my MHDT Labs Dialogue II to anything I've owned and it only cost me $225 including shipping. MHDT Labs hasn't had any DAC's on eBay for a few days but there are others on the market like the Moodlab DAC and the DAC-AH from DIYCLUB.biz which goes for a mere $135 + shipping. Add on a cheap DVD player or CD player as a transport and Blue Jeans Belden 1694a coaxial cable for a really kick ass cheap source. Of course add on a better transport and the sound will only get better. The only downside is non-oversampling DAC's can only take a standard 44.1 Khz redbook CD signal so no SACD or DVD-A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back