Good headphones for rap?
Mar 17, 2017 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

m3t4lm4n222

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am looking for $100-ish headphones that would be good for modern rap music. I see a lot of suggestions floating around for sub $100 headphones in general (SPH9500, 558's, etc) however a lot of them are described as being what I would probably consider bass-anemic. 

I'm looking for a full-sized at-home pair of cans, preferably with a detachable/replaceable cable. I also prefer to not have to use a bunch of EQ to get pleasant sound (Which seems to put the JVC SZ1000's out)

I've had experience with V-Moda M100's and their sound was almost perfect for me, however, they were extremely uncomfortable regardless of if I used their XL pads or not. I'm also a big fan of the sound I get from my Koss PortaPro's. 

My current daily driver is the Fostex T20RP w/ HM5's and I like their sound a lot and they don't really lack in bass either, just looking for another pair to compliment the collection.

Thanks everyone!

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 11
They are just a tiny bit above your budget at $129.00, but I think the Audio Technica ATH-WS770iS would fit what you're looking for except for the removable cable. They hit hard and have a great sound stage. Below is a video I made showing the WS770iS doing a bass paper test for another thread, and as you can see, they were hitting plenty hard enough to move the paper. Just as a heads up, I do have HM5 pads on mine, which would take them even more above your budget.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 11
Lol, thanks for that. I needed a good chuckle. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 11
One more you might consider is the Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, which is very well-made and sounds terrific. Comfortable, too. Bass is not anemic and it is in your price range. Worth checking out.

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 11
I appreciate the suggestions guys. It seems like having a non-removable cable is a common trend with cheaper headphones that have a nice low-end for some reason. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Brainwavz HM9's have a removable cable and good low-end, $109

https://smile.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM9-Hi-Fi-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B00ENZRS76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489789944&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+hm9

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 11
They have a fixed cable and are over budget by $55~ at amazon atm.. however these are great closed home / studio headphones with very good bass and nearly unmatched comfort (imho)... you'll need /want an amp probably.

beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=twister_B01HNCPECQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have had my pair for 4yr + new ... and except changing ear pads these are still nearly perfect.. very rugged / well made.. I don't think you'd regret spending the money if the budget would stretch for them.. the cable while fixed and sort of long is quite robust and is easy to replace if the need arises (with minimal soldering skills that is).  Unlike the majority of headphones the headband cushion is quite inexpensive and easy to swap should it start to go south.. a very logical and efficient German design / made in Germany... I really love my DT770's

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 11
  They have a fixed cable and are over budget by $55~ at amazon atm.. however these are great closed home / studio headphones with very good bass and nearly unmatched comfort (imho)... you'll need /want an amp probably.

beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=twister_B01HNCPECQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have had my pair for 4yr + new ... and except changing ear pads these are still nearly perfect.. very rugged / well made.. I don't think you'd regret spending the money if the budget would stretch for them.. the cable while fixed and sort of long is quite robust and is easy to replace if the need arises (with minimal soldering skills that is).  Unlike the majority of headphones the headband cushion is quite inexpensive and easy to swap should it start to go south.. a very logical and efficient German design / made in Germany... I really love my DT770's

What about the Custom One Studios, don't those use the same drivers as the DT770? They also have a removable cable. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 11
~$100 is the  JVC HA-SZ1000-E

~$200 is the JVC Z Series HA-SZ2000 

My friend has the JVC 1000 and the bass almost blew my eardrums off. This is coming from me having a Vmoda M-100. The downside is they don't have detachable cables. If you can't find a cheap headphone with removable cables within that price range, then at least give them a try.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 11
  ~$100 is the  JVC HA-SZ1000-E

~$200 is the JVC Z Series HA-SZ2000 

My friend has the JVC 1000 and the bass almost blew my eardrums off. This is coming from me having a Vmoda M-100. The downside is they don't have detachable cables. If you can't find a cheap headphone with removable cables within that price range, then at least give them a try.

The SZ1000's are tempting, because I really liked the V-Moda's, I felt like they had great bass, but that even they could use more.  My T20's have less bass, just enough for my liking. 

The biggest problems with the SZ1000 is essentially the lack of unremovable cable, the need to get HM5 pads and the apparent need to EQ the crap out of them. At the end of the day if I got them, I'd probably want to get another AMP/DAC like a Schiit Fulla, HM5 pads, etc and at that point I am looking at a $200 investment for headphones that need EQ and care concerning the cable. 

I'd really like to find something similar to the V-Moda's sound wise that's going to have similar or more bass without having to do everything that'll need to be done to the SZ1000's, but it doesn't seem like that's really going to be a possibility. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back