Good headphone match for an O2+ODAC combo.
Feb 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ReturnTrip

New Head-Fier
I've settled on this unit, now I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on a headphone that matches well with it.

Primary use will be for gaming and music...I enjoy accuracy in games, and like to hear quiet footsteps, etc...

I've looked mostly at Beyerdynamic 880 and Sennheiser 600, but am not set on these two in particular. Any suggestion is welcome.

I do have one question. I'm worried the O2 wouldn't power a pair of 600ohm well enough...would a pair of 250ohm perform better on this setup?

Budget is $400.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I've settled on this unit, now I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on a headphone that matches well with it.

Primary use will be for gaming and music...I enjoy accuracy in games, and like to hear quiet footsteps, etc...

I've looked mostly at Beyerdynamic 880 and Sennheiser 600, but am not set on these two in particular. Any suggestion is welcome.

I do have one question. I'm worried the O2 wouldn't power a pair of 600ohm well enough...would a pair of 250ohm perform better on this setup?

Budget is $400.
Since youre looking for accuracy and detail, I would highly recommend the AKG Q701 for your application, otherwise the Beyer DT770 as its considered the king of gaming headphones, while still being very musical.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Budget is $400.

Heya,

I'm powering 600ohm headphones off the O2 just fine, with my equalizer set to -10db. With overhead to spare. Simply press the high-gain button on your O2 and you're good to go. Clean and no noise floor while using it.

The O2 can power virtually anything quite well, short of the HE-6.

But the real question is, why get high impedance over low impedance? There's no real answer to that, because the amplifier dictates the work. I would get 250ohm given the option so that you can use them with virtually anything.

At your budget:

Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650

I would primarily go for the HE-400.

Very best,

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Budget is $400.

I power my 880/600's using 50% volume on my O2.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Budget is $400.

At $400, the O2 should power every headphone (including the HE 400) easily. It will definitely handle 600-Ohm Beyers.

You can choose headphones based on your sound preference, not be concerned with the 'synergy' or 'pairing' required of unsuitable amplifiers..

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 9
If you want a neutral sound sig, HD600. If you want a little more warmth and bass impact, HD650.

Interesting though that you chose your amp before your headphones. I would have recommended the opposite approach. But either of these will pair well with the O2/ODAC.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Interesting though that you chose your amp before your headphones. I would have recommended the opposite approach. But either of these will pair well with the O2/ODAC.

He's purchased a neutral amp with enough power for most every headphone. Unless he intended to perform a number of costly experiments to try to 'pair' a randomly designed amp for 'synergy', his choice was perfect.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 9
Does head-direct normally ship from Hong Kong? The velour earpads I ordered from head-direct arrived in three days, wasn't expecting to see some tracking out of hong kong on the he-400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back