Good fullsized closed headphones for under $200
Jan 30, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #31 of 40
Oh really? I was not aware of that...good to know. If that's the case, I think you would be very happy going with the Beyers, especially if what you are looking for is a fairly neutral sound signature.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 40
I think you are the only one I have ever heard describe them as neutral.  I have always heard a bit bright at the high end and punchy at the low.  I was looking at the Beyers because I was looking for something a bit more exciting.  The HD 595s are pretty neutral, but not exactly the most fun.

Quote:
Oh really? I was not aware of that...good to know. If that's the case, I think you would be very happy going with the Beyers, especially if what you are looking for is a fairly neutral sound signature.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #33 of 40
I disagree. My D5000 are 32 ohms and an amp results in a noticeable improvement over any unamped source I've tried. You can have low resistance and still need a ton of current. 

Quote:
Oh yeah I definitely agree...32 ohms is perfectly drivable out of an iPod. I am just picky enough that I want to hear the full extent of the headphone's capability all the time. If you are going to amp it, there is no reason you shouldn't get the 250 ohm version, especially if it is cheaper. Just need a portable amp able to power it properly. I haven't looked into any portable amps that can do that. As far as I know, FiiO E7 is not capable of putting out that much power.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
I think you are the only one I have ever heard describe them as neutral.  I have always heard a bit bright at the high end and punchy at the low.  I was looking at the Beyers because I was looking for something a bit more exciting.  The HD 595s are pretty neutral, but not exactly the most fun.

Quote:

Sorry, I"m probably describing it terribly. I think that the Beyers have a neutral frequency response, but still maintain a lively sound (I hope that is a little clearer). They aren't bloated in the lows, mids, or highs, but rather provide a very clean and balanced mix of the three. As far as the U-response curve (bright at the highs and punchy at the lows), that becomes more and more apparent as you go deeper into the DT line (770 vs. 880 vs. 990). The 770 is going to have the flattest response out of the three and I really like the sound that it has.

I listened to a friend's HD 595's, and while they had an absolutely beautiful sound, they lacked a lot of bass (in my opinion), which is why I personally tend to not go for Sennheiser. The Beyers definitely have a lively sound, the "neutrality" I was referring to was more along the lines of the non-bloatedness of specific frequency responses, if that makes any sense.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
I disagree. My D5000 are 32 ohms and an amp results in a noticeable improvement over any unamped source I've tried. You can have low resistance and still need a ton of current. 

Quote:
Oh yeah I definitely agree...32 ohms is perfectly drivable out of an iPod. I am just picky enough that I want to hear the full extent of the headphone's capability all the time. If you are going to amp it, there is no reason you shouldn't get the 250 ohm version, especially if it is cheaper. Just need a portable amp able to power it properly. I haven't looked into any portable amps that can do that. As far as I know, FiiO E7 is not capable of putting out that much power.

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with that. An amp makes a huge difference, even at low resistance levels. I'm just saying that 32 ohms can be driven out of just an iPod or laptop, but in order to experience the full extent of the headphone's power, you will need to amp it.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #36 of 40
The HD 595s need amplification to have bass.  Without amplification, there really isn't much bass at all.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I"m probably describing it terribly. I think that the Beyers have a neutral frequency response, but still maintain a lively sound (I hope that is a little clearer). They aren't bloated in the lows, mids, or highs, but rather provide a very clean and balanced mix of the three. As far as the U-response curve (bright at the highs and punchy at the lows), that becomes more and more apparent as you go deeper into the DT line (770 vs. 880 vs. 990). The 770 is going to have the flattest response out of the three and I really like the sound that it has.

I listened to a friend's HD 595's, and while they had an absolutely beautiful sound, they lacked a lot of bass (in my opinion), which is why I personally tend to not go for Sennheiser. The Beyers definitely have a lively sound, the "neutrality" I was referring to was more along the lines of the non-bloatedness of specific frequency responses, if that makes any sense.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

+1 on the beyers

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #39 of 40

Quote:
I believe the E7 is rated for headphones up to 300 ohms, so I am still in the clear.

I wouldn't bet on it working very well though.  The HD25-1 II's are only 70 ohms and I've got to have the e7 up to 35 or 40 (out of 60) at the very least for normal listening.  And it takes around 45-50 before it makes these headphones really sing.  I think at 250 ohms you'd have the poor e7 maxed out all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back