good deal on Fluke 189?
May 20, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$280 is still a good deal for a new Fluke 189. They typically sell at $100+ more retail.

I just ordered one of these for my bench at work. Contact East (Stanley Supply Services now) has it listed for $430, (non-certified) so $280 is still a great price. The certified calibration models cost even more.

May 22, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 13
I was under the impression that all new factory sealed Flukes came with this calibration certificate. No? Anyway, if true then even if no longer sealed, they'd either be deliberately removing the certificate or it's still there with the product.

Ok I was wrong on one I just have a card that reads (excerpts)

Quote:

"Fluke Corporation Statement of Calibration Practices... Fluke Corporation hereby certifies that this product was calibrated in accordance with applicable Fluke calibration procedures during the manufacturing process. These procedures are ISO9001:2000 controlled and are designed to assure that the instrument will meet it's published specification.

Fluke Corporation further certifies that measurement standards used during the calibration are calibrated, at planned intervals, traceable to the SI units through an internationally recognized National Metrology Institute. However this document is not a certificate of calibration or traceability."

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be kind of skeptical of someone with 5 feedback points selling a 189 at that price, are there such things as fake Flukes?

Sortof.

You'll notice that every Fluke 15b on ebay has asian characters on the box. Most of them are *in *asia.

The 15b is a real model - at least, google turns up a calibration guide for the 15b at fluke.com - but it's more complex than that.

The 15b is made by Extech. Near as i can tell, it's the only model that Fluke ever outsourced.

It's not a bad meter at all - you can also buy it in the form of a Craftsman 34-81437 DMM. You open up the craftsman and it says Fluke 15b right on it. But it has an FKI controller and other hallmarks of the Extech aka Topman Industrial product line.

That, and it was made in hong kong, and Fluke meters are made in Washington State.

The build quality is truly excellent, like a Fluke product ought to be. Far, far better than most extech meters.

The 34-81437 sells for about $55, you can find them on ebay for as little as $20 every now and then. I did - it's a pretty good meter. I like my Wavetek 235 better, but the Craftsman/Fluke/Extech has a far more sensitive continuity tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back