Good closed cans, do they exist?
Jun 10, 2007 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wafflesomd

500+ Head-Fier
Sheesh, I am having such a hard time getting a pair of closed cans that I like.

I went form MDR-V6's.

After that, I tried AKG 501's, which are my fav cans period, nothing so far has beaten them, not even come close.

Then I tried AKG 271's after some reccomendations.

I plan on getting a pair of DT770's next, If I like those, I might get them Headphiled.

They need to make a closed version of the 501's.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 22
well, you're not going to find closed cans with much in the way of 'soundstage' - isolation and soundstage are mutually exclusive.

Aside from that . . . . You may like the Equation RP-21 or RP-22x. If you're anywhere near Findlay, you can swing by House of Hindenach on main street and tell Don (or Dan) that I sent you. They likely have an RP-21 in stock that you can listen to.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 22
I do keep hearing of them, by chance, can you tell me if they're really worthy of this "be all and end all" of closed cans reputation? Specifically I'd like to know how they compare to the A900s, but I'd also like to hear how far up the cost ladder they can compete. Any chance you can offer comparisons to higher end phones?

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 22
i have a pair of 770's if you'd like to save a few bucks instead of buying new
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 22
isolation hasnt anywheres near the worth of soundstage.

with the acception of the UE9's

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantmShado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do keep hearing of them, by chance, can you tell me if they're really worthy of this "be all and end all" of closed cans reputation? Specifically I'd like to know how they compare to the A900s, but I'd also like to hear how far up the cost ladder they can compete. Any chance you can offer comparisons to higher end phones?

Well, here's the caviat: I don't actually own a pair.

Don Hindenach is a good friend of mine, and also an Equation dealer. I got exposed to these cans when he traded a pair of them to a mutual friend in return for some software consulting work.

So, there's the caviat: I do sorta feel compelled to try and throw some business my friend's way every now and then. That being said, I'm pretty sure i haven't generated a single head-fi sale for him.

So, yeah, if you find yourself in Findlay, there's a very down-to-earth audiophile shop that carries these headphones, and the proprietor would be more than happy to let you listen to a pair in the store.

But i, myself, have nothing to gain from it except a sense of good karma.

I've compared my friend's RP-21 to my DT-770 Pro/80 and found that while i personally like the warm feel of the DT-770 bass a little better than the RP-21, the RP-21 is in no way lacking in bass, and has clearer, crisper mids.

That's the only direct comparison I've done. Others have compared them to other headphones.

If you look in the big "equation audio eartools review" thread, I think someone has compared them to at least an A700.

Some have said that the sound signature is similar to a DT990. I have an ancient 990 but I haven't tried them side by side.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 22
I want an open phone, but the problem is, it won't do me any good for portable use.

Anyone ever tried closed grado's? A mod possibly? Or does it totally destroy the sound.

BTW, I don't like alot of bass, not a really bassy person. I do enjoy great sounding highs though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 22
can't really close grados. ruins 'em.

maybe for portable use you'd be better off with an iem?

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't really close grados. ruins 'em.

maybe for portable use you'd be better off with an iem?

I had some Marshmallows for ahwile, not really my thing, they hurt my ears :/

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 22
I have the A700's and love them. Yeah, they are big and sometimes they do get hot, but otherwise they fit extremely comfortably and work real nice. I was afraid the 770's would provide too much bass so I went with the 700's for a more well rounded sound and I'm glad I did.

Oh yeah, I debated between open and closed phones. I looked at the HD595 but wanted some closed cans instead.

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #14 of 22
The Closed Audio-Technica Models are rather nice. Also, in terms of "do they exist", you'd be hard-pressed to find someone call the Sony R10 a bad headphone. They're certainly not cheap, but they do prove that good closed phones are possible.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D2000&5000, Proline750, some AT series come to mind.

In order of personal preferences:
ATH-W5000
Denon AH-D2000 (based on one's taste these can move my top runner, W5000, down)
AKG-K271S (Zu recabled with velour pads), slightly different tier from the previous two, but very, very capable in the right setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back