Good cheap amp for my Grado SR-80
Apr 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ClassicRock1169

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a good cheap amp for my new Grado SR-80's. I listen mostly to Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues, and Folk. 99% is Classic Rock though. I am only looking to spend 100 or less if that is possible. Should I just go ahead and get a portable amp?

Thanks, ClassicRock1169

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicRock1169 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a good cheap amp for my new Grado SR-80's. I listen mostly to Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues, and Folk. 99% is Classic Rock though. I am only looking to spend 100 or less if that is possible. Should I just go ahead and get a portable amp?

Thanks, ClassicRock1169

What source are you using? PA2V2 or CMOY should do the trick.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicRock1169 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, ClassicRock1169

If you only have $100 to spend at the moment, unless you're looking to build an amp, I'd say your best bet is no amp at all.

I don't recommend you go the "portable" route either. The upgrade in sound is meager.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 14
Lots of used amps in the for sale forum as well as some used millets for home and alien dacs etc.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 14
The PA2V2 is said to have great synergy with grados and is about 60$. Search the forum for user impressions to get more info from users who have used this combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Is portable the only way? Your post doesn't make it clear. Desktop amps, even in that price range, exist, and are most likely to be a step-up from portable amps. I don't know about synergy, but after hearing from the very inexpensive Qinpu Q1 I just received, and comparing it to my pa2v2, I have a hard time recommending the pa2v2 for anyone for home use.

If you really want it portable, pa2v2 ain't bad, I guess.

I don't know if it's because I just received it, but the Q1 makes me feel like it is an exceptional value in the amp market. I'm still a complete newbie, but I really feel like it might be the ksc75 of amps.

Still, I'm still experimenting with it, and will use it a couple of weeks before I really can make myself a good, clear, opinion on it.

So again, does it really have to be portable?

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I don't know that there are many desktop headphone amps < $200. I've seen maybe 3 people who own the Qinpu Q1 who have given any sort of impression. On the other hand, lots of people own the pa2v2 and various CMoy amps and have given positive reviews, so their a known entity. I think that's why when someone asks about a low cost decent amp, portables get recommended.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by joewatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know that there are many desktop headphone amps < $200. I've seen maybe 3 people who own the Qinpu Q1 who have given any sort of impression. On the other hand, lots of people own the pa2v2 and various CMoy amps and have given positive reviews, so their a known entity. I think that's why when someone asks about a low cost decent amp, portables get recommended.

We have a Desk top headphone amp use Jfet + Mosfet Class A OTL cost only US$120 ship from Hong Kong. It model is GK1-J. It special for low impedance Cans. It is good matching with SR325. I think SR80 also good.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 14
I don't know any good match for grado but I would rather sell your SR80 and spend extra $100 toward getting SR225 or SR325. That would be much better upgrade.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know any good match for grado but I would rather sell your SR80 and spend extra $100 toward getting SR225 or SR325. That would be much better upgrade.

Agreed. You can only push the low end Prestige so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back