Good CD Player With Digital Input That Doubles As a Good DAC?
Feb 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
Does such a beast exist? Something less than $500? I'll admit that I'm being lazy with this question - I've done abslutely ZERO research. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had any recommendations...

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does such a beast exist? Something less than $500? I'll admit that I'm being lazy with this question - I've done abslutely ZERO research. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had any recommendations...

Yeah they exist, but not under $500.

Some examples:
1) Stello CDA 320
2) Cary 302 (could be the wrong model, since I can't remember)
3) Resolution Audio Opus 21
4) Cambridge Audio 840C

There are a bunch more.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 14
Toshiba SD9500 (second hand)

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 14
there are sometimes demos of the Quad CD99 on audiogon for about a grand... that's the best price i've seen.

oh... and there's the upcoming Cambridge Audio 740c, which will probably come in around the $1k mark.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 14
As well as the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c, there's the 740c, too, a lower cost sibling with 2 pairs of electrical and optical digital inputs.

Most players with digital inputs are relatively expensive, but you might find a used Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24, or an older, cheaper Pioneer DV-S9.

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 14
If you're damn quick - there's a Tri-Vista on ebay for another 5 hours.
(click on the link above)

Current bid is only $810. RRP is $6495

I would have bid but they made it clear they don't do overseas shipping. Major
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the replies. Since I am completely unwilling to spend more than $500 the only suggestion that's appealed to me so far is the Toshiba. I started this thread hoping that there was something available in my price range that there was consensus on, but I guess that was just wishful thinking. I'll have to do some sit-down research on my own when I get a chance. There's GOT to be something out there...

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. Since I am completely unwilling to spend more than $500 the only suggestion that's appealed to me so far is the Toshiba. I started this thread hoping that there was something available in my price range that there was consensus on, but I guess that was just wishful thinking. I'll have to do some sit-down research on my own when I get a chance. There's GOT to be something out there...

just saw you already have a channel islands DAC in your system... you most likely will not upgrade your sound even if you do find a CDP w/digital ins for $500.

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just saw you already have a channel islands DAC in your system... you most likely will not upgrade your sound even if you do find a CDP w/digital ins for $500.

I'm not looking to upgrade. My goal is to put together a second system that's a little different from my current rig.

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 14
The Harman-Kardon HD970 / 970II CD player is very popular in Europe. It has optical and coax digital inputs, and a pretty good DAC: Analog Devices AD1955 with Blackfin DSP, and it upsamples to 24 bit/384 kHz. The price is around 300 EUR (about 400 USD), but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back