Good Cans for PA2V2
Oct 3, 2005 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SunkenD

New Head-Fier
I already I own one of Gary's amps and was looking for some good cans to compliment it. Budget is around $150, but I'll definitely go higher if the performance gain is there. I mostly listen to rap - albums like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Blackstar.

I've been lurking here for a little bit and doing a little research. I was thinking of the Senn 580's right now, but there's so many other headphones in the price range that it's a little overwhelming. So what do you guys think.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 14
For bass heavy stuff like that Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro is worth a look.

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 14
lol an SC fan eh? bass heavy class: Ks40S, Koss porta pros, DT770 pro, HD212pro, MDR-XS400, EX51. these are all headphones that ive tried and experienced more bass than other headphones. well except for the AKG, havent tried those.. oh and the DT's

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 14
lol an SC fan eh?

Haha, it's been a while, but yea...

Even though I listen to rap, I wasn't really looking for a big bass boost. I own the HD212's right now, and all that bass drowns out everything else, it's kind of annoying.

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 14
well, my UR40's and MDR-XD400 with a little EQ'ing (if you dont mind) makes them sing. with or without booty bass.

Oct 4, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 14
Etymotic's ER-6i works really well with the PA2.v2, developing a full-bodied richness that was sorely lacking without amplification. Bass is nice and tight, though considering your preference for rap music, it might not do well to recommend these to you since I suspect that you may have a penchance for bass-heavy presentations.

That said, I think it might make more sense to find amplifiers that complement your headphones rather than the other way around. Headphones will dictate how the sound is going to be flavoured, more so than any amplifier will.

Buying headphones just to use your amplifier is a bit like buying a new car just cos you got a tankful of gas.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Just read up on the HF-1's, and they seem pretty awesome. I guess I'll place an order for those today, if there aren't any objections.

And thanks everyone for your help...

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunkenD
Just read up on the HF-1's, and they seem pretty awesome. I guess I'll place an order for those today, if there aren't any objections.

And thanks everyone for your help...

It depends, do you want to wait forever to get them? It could be a long wait to get some HF-1's...

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 14
By long we're talking 2-3 months, no? I don't really mind waiting that long, but if it's going to be more than that, than I probably won't get them...

But they a great pair of headphones that would work well with my amp, right?

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
well, my UR40's and MDR-XD400 with a little EQ'ing (if you dont mind) makes them sing. with or without booty bass.

I second the Sony XD400. It's a perfect match for the PA2V2. Not far off from the HD580 I might add...

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 14
Sennheiser 595s were great on my old PAV2 before I sold both of them. Can be had on Ebay for around $160, a great all around can with slightly boomy bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back