Good Cans <=$80
Jul 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 122
Quote:
After hearing a report of Monoprice shipping beat up and possibly used headphones, I'm not sure that's the way I want to go (though feel free to convince me otherwise).
Right now, the Samson and both of the Kosses and Superfluxes sound interesting, though I am worried whether any of these will prevent my sound from being broadcast in public (not worried about hearing the public through the phones, though).

The Superlux/Samson are a good choice. The treble can be bright and aggressive at times, though. And they are semi-open, so they leak some sound.

I can personally vouch for the Monoprice 8323. I was floored by how good they sounded for $25. On top of that, they're built solidly for the price, are portable and foldable, have removable cables, etc. Monoprice is a good company, in my experience. I've purchased a lot of items from there and have never been disappointed. If you have a problem with something, they'll work with you to get it fixed.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #18 of 122

The Superlux/Samson are a good choice. The treble can be bright and aggressive at times, though. And they are semi-open, so they leak some sound.

I can personally vouch for the Monoprice 8323. I was floored by how good they sounded for $25. On top of that, they're built solidly for the price, are portable and foldable, have removable cables, etc. Monoprice is a good company, in my experience. I've purchased a lot of items from there and have never been disappointed. If you have a problem with something, they'll work with you to get it fixed.

Alright, I might look into the Monoprices again. Another complaint I've heard has been a middling soundstage, though - is this true? But, if we're getting into the $50 range, how about the Audio-Technica ATH-M30s? They can be gotten for about $45 on Amazon, and I've heard a few good things about them. EDIT: Also, how much sound leakage are we talking about? Like, enough for sound to be heard 3-5 feet away while they're being worn? And then I have the same question about the Koss and Monoprice models as well.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 122
Quote:
I don't care if it's isolated (I actually like having some awareness of my surroundings), I'm just more worried I'll be in the library/at work, and people 2-3 desks down will be able to hear my music/movies.

If this isn't an issue for the portapro, then I think my decision comes down to portapro/KSC75 vs monoprice.  What exactly are the pros/cons of clips like KSC75 vs full-sized portable headphones like portapro/monoprice?

EDIT: Senn 202s are also an option, I guess.

The issues with porta pros is that they break often, not from experience but from what I've heard. Have a look: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMwOdrmE8Po

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 122
Quote:
Why is that?
Also, I find myself leaning harder and harder towards the 8323s - if anyone else has experience with them, could you share?

Just in general, based on the things I've heard about both headphones, the 201s definitely seem to be the better regarded cans. Here's the FR comparison:

The 201s are considered by many to be "budget kings" meaning they are some of the best sound quality for the money if you are on a very tight budget. However the 8323s are also considered very good budget cans as well. Personally I would go with the Sennheisers just because I trust the brand more and my guess is that they would be more comfortable. But I haven't tried either one so I can't say for sure. Good luck and let us know.

EDIT - I had the FR graphs mixed up. Its the 202 that has more bass.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 122
BTW, earlier today I happened to come across the HD 201s for $20 shipped:

http://prodj.com/senhd201.html

I looked these guys up and they seem to be a reputable business. I'm considering getting these for a friend for gaming and home listening (they are a little large for portable listening IMO).

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 122
Just in general, based on the things I've heard about both headphones, the 201s definitely seem to be the better regarded cans. Here's the FR comparison:

The 201s are considered by many to be "budget kings" meaning they are some of the best sound quality for the money if you are on a very tight budget. However the 8323s are also considered very good budget cans as well. Personally I would go with the Sennheisers just because I trust the brand more and my guess is that they would be more comfortable. But I haven't tried either one so I can't say for sure. Good luck and let us know.

EDIT - I had the FR graphs mixed up. Its the 202 that has more bass.

Do Senns have good build quality, though? I've heard middling things about both the headphone and the wire quality - especially the wire being extremely flimsy and far too long for regular use. Perhaps I'm wrong, though - let me know.

Right now I'm thinking about the Monoprice vs the Superlux/Samson battling it out in a fight of cost-effectiveness. Unless there are more suggestions?

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 122
Quote:
Why is that?
Also, I find myself leaning harder and harder towards the 8323s - if anyone else has experience with them, could you share?

I have experience. Monoprice really has delivered a stellar product. Listen, the customer service for Monoprice is phenomenal. You can actually talk with real people. One of the cables that came with mine was defective, but within just 2 days, I got a new one. Amazing. There is near to no sound leakage. That in my opinion is what really sticks out in these headphones. Also, sound quality is amazing, especially for a pair that cost $25. Don't wait anymore. Just go buy yourself a pair!

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #26 of 122
Quote:

Alright, I might look into the Monoprices again. Another complaint I've heard has been a middling soundstage, though - is this true?But, if we're getting into the $50 range, how about the Audio-Technica ATH-M30s? They can be gotten for about $45 on Amazon, and I've heard a few good things about them.EDIT: Also, how much sound leakage are we talking about? Like, enough for sound to be heard 3-5 feet away while they're being worn? And then I have the same question about the Koss and Monoprice models as well.

Middling soundstage? I'm not sure what you're referring to. They don't have a great soundstage or anything, but it's not as bad as you'd expect from a can like this. With the particular way I have mine modded, it's actually surprisingly spacious sounding.

Can't speak for the ATH-M30s. I'd still just say go for the Monoprice.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 122
Having owned the PortaPro and heard the Monoprice 8323, I'll have to suggest the PortaPro, simply because I think your first foray into good audio should be an open headphone. Every closed headphone I've heard in the $50 range is terrible unless your playlist is 100% processed music.

The PortaPro is flimsy, your hair may get caught in the headband, and it's too bassy on any ComfortZone setting other than light. It's also "portable" but not isolating; you don't want to use them in a subway. That being said, I think it sounds a lot better overall. It's hardly hi-fi but it'll give you a better taste of hi-fi potential than the Monoprice 8323. The PortaPro's been in production for 25+ years for a good reason. It's actually kind of depressing that it and the KSC35 sound better than Koss' entire full-sized headphone lineup except their $1000 ESP950.

If you get the PortaPro, do keep in mind that it's a heavily-counterfeited headphone. Make sure you get it off a reputable dealer; any deals under $30 are probably counterfeit.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 122
I agree with what has been said and it sounds like you would be quite happy with both the PortaPro or the 8323s.

To answer your question, in my opinion and in my experience Sennheisers have *very* good build quality. In fact I'd be very surprised if the 8323s were even somewhat comparable to the 201s and 202s on build quality (my thought is that durability and comfort are probably the two weakest points of the 8323s but again, I don't have first hand experience with them) . As for the cables, Senn has always had very thin cables but they aren't as flimsy as you would expect based on their thinness. I do agree that often times the Senns can have longer cables than some people would prefer but personally I'd always rather have my cables be too long than too short unless its a headphone I'm using purely for portable listening.

Having said this, I don't mean to sway you from the 8323s or the PortaPros. It sounds like they would meet your needs quite well. Good luck choosing and let us know your thoughts once you decide on a pair and have a chance to put them through their paces.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #29 of 122
I agree with what has been said and it sounds like you would be quite happy with both the PortaPro or the 8323s.

To answer your question, in my opinion and in my experience Sennheisers have *very* good build quality. In fact I'd be very surprised if the 8323s were even somewhat comparable to the 201s and 202s on build quality (my thought is that durability and comfort are probably the two weakest points of the 8323s but again, I don't have first hand experience with them) . As for the cables, Senn has always had very thin cables but they aren't as flimsy as you would expect based on their thinness. I do agree that often times the Senns can have longer cables than some people would prefer but personally I'd always rather have my cables be too long than too short unless its a headphone I'm using purely for portable listening.

Having said this, I don't mean to sway you from the 8323s or the PortaPros. It sounds like they would meet your needs quite well. Good luck choosing and let us know your thoughts once you decide on a pair and have a chance to put them through their paces.

Thanks! I hope I make the right decision after all this contemplation.

Alright, so my decision comes down to:

Koss Portapro vs Senn HD201 vs Monoprice 8323 (vs Koss KSC75)

I guess out of these, the ones I've heard the least about are the Senns. Do they leak sound at all? Are they portable?

Also, for those of you who have the 8323s - are they uncomfortable to you? I realize any over-the-ear phone will get hot, and they're the only ones that won't leak sound, but are they uncomfortable? It's a complain I've seen thrown around a lot with them.

Now, do the Kosses leak sound? I've heard conflicting reports on each, and I need to know. The main reason for these headphones is so I can listen to music in "quiet" environments - if any of these headphones don't meet the criteria, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 122
Quote:
Thanks! I hope I make the right decision after all this contemplation.
Alright, so my decision comes down to:
Koss Portapro vs Senn HD201 vs Monoprice 8323 (vs Koss KSC75)
I guess out of these, the ones I've heard the least about are the Senns. Do they leak sound at all? Are they portable?
Also, for those of you who have the 8323s - are they uncomfortable to you? I realize any over-the-ear phone will get hot, and they're the only ones that won't leak sound, but are they uncomfortable? It's a complain I've seen thrown around a lot with them.
Now, do the Kosses leak sound? I've heard conflicting reports on each, and I need to know. The main reason for these headphones is so I can listen to music in "quiet" environments - if any of these headphones don't meet the criteria, please let me know.
Thanks again.

I can't recommend the HD201.  The bass is essentially nonexistant. Personally, I really like the Portapro or KSC75 for that price.  If you want closed, the Sennheiser HD202 or HD203 are good.  The Koss leak a lot.  There will be a lot of leakage.  Think of someone with iBuds at full volume in someone's ears.  For "quiet" environments, I would definitely suggest the Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back