Good Bookshelf Speakers for less than $200
Nov 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

sharkz

500+ Head-Fier
As the title reads, I am looking into getting a pair of nice bookshelf speakers for less than $200. I am going to be getting a decent receiver of some make soon, but there are so many options for speakers, I am just looking for recommendations of what people have heard. I am leaning toward a pair of Cerwin Vega's now or the Onix xL's from av123.com? Any other comments or suggestions?

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 57
The AV123 speakers are a safe bet. I'd stay away from Cerwin-Vega... They were a popular name in the '90s, but the majority of their speakers seemed to be of very low quality.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 57
Yeah the AV123 or TAD(Tube Audio Design) 805 speakers are by far and away the best under $200.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 57
Where can you find the TAD 805's? I have looked around a bit and can't really seem to find anything on them. Thanks.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 57
I am also looking into the Paradigm Atoms. A huge plus is that I should be able to listen to these at local Sixth Ave stores in New Jersey. Has anyone heard these?

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 57
Paradigm is a very good option. I love their products and they are fairly priced.

My friend has Atoms as his rear channels but they are good for a small room as mains as well.

Links to the TAD anyone? Never heard of them!

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 57
Are the TAD speakers you are talking about the same ones affiliated with Pioneer? Otherwise, I can barely find any references to them online.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 57
The TAD speakers are found here - although I have not heard them myself.

A friend of mine has a pair of the Onix xl's and for their price they sound really nice. The imaging, focus and separation is quite surprising for a speaker of this price - particularly for their current $165... Other than that the only other speakers in the sub $200 range that I have heard that really stand out are DIY designs.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 57
Fry's has Polk Rti4's on sale for 169$, online they also have another one from the bottom end bookshelf Polks for 69$

You also have the option of the X-LS, and supposedly TAD is not very reliable, a friend of mine has tried his amp, and has had it constantly returned again and again, until he gave up and returned it fully, Spacemanspiff swears by the stuff, but you could try em out first.....

Lastly, if you need comparisions between the Polks and the X-LS', the polks have high extensions and clarity, and more punch in the bass (not as much as a dedicated sub though), this is a third person opinion that i have read, am waiting for one of my speaker buddies to confirm this

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 57
Sure there are always problems but if you look here at audiogon the TAD 60 amp is held in high esteem. I myself only tried TAD on a whim b/c I could get the 12" sub for a special deal and like it so much I got the 805 speakers and have been thoroughly impressed by them. Seriously, they destroyed the Usher 520s I had before them in every respect except in the extreme highs. Paul is a one man operation and should be given a lot of credit for his accomplishments thus far. I will get a TAD 60 amp modded by him in a week or two.

AudiogoN Forums: Anybody heard the TAD 805SD speakers?

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure there are always problems but if you look here at audiogon the TAD 60 amp is held in high esteem. I myself only tried TAD on a whim b/c I could get the 12" sub for a special deal and like it so much I got the 805 speakers and have been thoroughly impressed by them. Seriously, they destroyed the Usher 520s I had before them in every respect except in the extreme highs. Paul is a one man operation and should be given a lot of credit for his accomplishments thus far. I will get a TAD 60 amp modded by him in a week or two.

AudiogoN Forums: Anybody heard the TAD 805SD speakers?

They are infact great speakers for the $189 I paid. They look gorgeous as well I get many compliments. They dont sound as good as my Polk LSi7's but those are phenomenal bookshelfs and cost $1000 brand new which was still said to be a bargain when they were reviewed.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 57
Polks aren't in the same league as Paradigm.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 57
From what I've read, Paradigm's house sound (at least for the lower-end speakers) tends to be a little on the bright side, so keep that in mind when considering your listening preferences. That said, I've heard that the Atoms are good values.

Whatever you buy, try to listen first. Or, listen to speakers that are out of your price range... The more you listen, the easier it will be to narrow down to what you really want, even if it's just by reading others' opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back