Good ath-m50 replacement.
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #16 of 37
Also did I mention the KRK's are really fast so even with their light bass, they are actually good for electronic and rock. With Ultrasones, you'll find the tonality wrong for your type of music, this gets better with the Denon's but I still find it lacking as if something's missing. So KNS 8400 for closed and Hifiman HE series for open. Listening to Kanye West - 808's & Heartbreak with the KNS 8400 is such a delight as the samples and instruments used in that are pretty much dead on to the TR-808 and the other Roland's. Whether it is guitars, analog drums, bass drums, cymbals or snare, you hear the complete envelope of the sound which is really hard to get at this price range.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:
Also did I mention the KRK's are really fast so even with their light bass, they are actually good for electronic and rock. With Ultrasones, you'll find the tonality wrong for your type of music, this gets better with the Denon's but I still find it lacking as if something's missing. So KNS 8400 for closed and Hifiman HE series for open. Listening to Kanye West - 808's & Heartbreak with the KNS 8400 is such a delight as the samples and instruments used in that are pretty much dead on to the TR-808 and the other Roland's. Whether it is guitars, analog drums, bass drums, cymbals or snare, you hear the complete envelope of the sound which is really hard to get at this price range.  

That seems to fit me very well although Im leaning a bit towards an open can and in this case a hifiman

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
That seems to fit me very well although Im leaning a bit towards an open can and in this case a hifiman

Open headphones are definitely the way to go, no matter what genre, unless you're in a really loud place. Honestly, the HE-500 actually has great isolation, kinda like my D2000 (closed). Once the music gets going, I can't hear people talk around me, unless they are really loud. Even though they are completely open, they have good isolation, surprising I know. The only time I hear others or random noises is during those quiet parts of the song, but then again that's almost the case with every headphone. Everything I told you about the KRK, take it and improve it by a lot and in an open version and you get HE-500. The drums and all percussion shine with the HE-500. It is the most natural sounding headphone I have heard to date and also has the most natural soundstage and presentation. Apparently the HE-400 is very similar to HE-500 so they are both an option. The HE-400 is supposed to be the bassier version, although I'm super happy with the bass of HE-500 so HE-400 must be something. Also your tastes still fit the description of HE-500, so you'll be fine with either that or 400. I'm not too sure about the HE-300, you have to read up on that. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Open headphones are definitely the way to go, no matter what genre, unless you're in a really loud place. Honestly, the HE-500 actually has great isolation, kinda like my D2000 (closed). Once the music gets going, I can't hear people talk around me, unless they are really loud. Even though they are completely open, they have good isolation, surprising I know. The only time I hear others or random noises is during those quiet parts of the song, but then again that's almost the case with every headphone. Everything I told you about the KRK, take it and improve it by a lot and in an open version and you get HE-500. The drums and all percussion shine with the HE-500. It is the most natural sounding headphone I have heard to date and also has the most natural soundstage and presentation. Apparently the HE-400 is very similar to HE-500 so they are both an option. The HE-400 is supposed to be the bassier version, although I'm super happy with the bass of HE-500 so HE-400 must be something. Also your tastes still fit the description of HE-500, so you'll be fine with either that or 400. I'm not too sure about the HE-300, you have to read up on that. 

How do you think the he-500 and he-400 compare to the shure srh1440 if you ever had the chance of listening to it since its fairly new and there's not much info on it. People say its great but i'll stick with the hifiman unless more info on it comes up. Also, can the he-500 and he-400 be driven by the fiio e11 or will I need a more powerful amp for that?

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:
How do you think the he-500 and he-400 compare to the shure srh1440 if you ever had the chance of listening to it since its fairly new and there's not much info on it. People say its great but i'll stick with the hifiman unless more info on it comes up. Also, can the he-500 and he-400 be driven by the fiio e11 or will I need a more powerful amp for that?

I haven't heard the Shure 1440, although I have heard many Shure's over the year and have a few lying around. Generally, I found the Shure's to be better suited for slower/moderate pace music. Although after listening to Denon's and Hifiman, the Shures get no action whatsoever, even my KRK KNS 8400 get far more action then them. To me, if you can afford either of the Hifiman's it's a no-brainer, no need to contemplate here whatsoever, no debate needed. As for amping, I have an E10 and HE-500 is the harder to drive in comparison to HE-400. The E11 has a better amp then the E10, so keep that in mind. On high gain on E10, the HE-500 actually sounds very good surprisingly, it's not fully dynamic as it needs 1 W to be fully dynamic whereas the E10 can offer upto 300 mW and yet it sounds very pleasantly, more so then the Denon's regardless of the amp and dac I have paired it with. So yes E11 with HE-500 can work and even more better for HE-400. Seriously, you'll love either HE's from E11. Also, volume wouldn't be an issue either. However, if you get something like an Asgard for amp, it'll improve a lot, especially the dynamic range. Just buy the Hifiman and plug it into E11 and you'll know what I'm talking about. I can guarantee you that you'll be more than satisfied with either HE. The open sound for trance and rock is just euphoric. Hopefully that's enough of a push :wink:

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

I haven't heard the Shure 1440, although I have heard many Shure's over the year and have a few lying around. Generally, I found the Shure's to be better suited for slower/moderate pace music. Although after listening to Denon's and Hifiman, the Shures get no action whatsoever, even my KRK KNS 8400 get far more action then them. To me, if you can afford either of the Hifiman's it's a no-brainer, no need to contemplate here whatsoever, no debate needed. As for amping, I have an E10 and HE-500 is the harder to drive in comparison to HE-400. The E11 has a better amp then the E10, so keep that in mind. On high gain on E10, the HE-500 actually sounds very good surprisingly, it's not fully dynamic as it needs 1 W to be fully dynamic whereas the E10 can offer upto 300 mW and yet it sounds very pleasantly, more so then the Denon's regardless of the amp and dac I have paired it with. So yes E11 with HE-500 can work and even more better for HE-400. Seriously, you'll love either HE's from E11. Also, volume wouldn't be an issue either. However, if you get something like an Asgard for amp, it'll improve a lot, especially the dynamic range. Just buy the Hifiman and plug it into E11 and you'll know what I'm talking about. I can guarantee you that you'll be more than satisfied with either HE. The open sound for trance and rock is just euphoric. Hopefully that's enough of a push :wink:

thats more than a push, Im definately getting the he-400 and im afraid im gonna throw my m50 away XD, thank for the help :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
thats more than a push, Im definately getting the he-400 and im afraid im gonna throw my m50 away XD, thank for the help :)

Just order a HE-400 and go to bed. It will all be fine soon :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 37

Just to compare...

They all have their unique sound sig...as for response goes...you can check the above.  Its just a 1D comparison but still something.

I can't find a graph for the 750 PRO else I would have included that too...

Anyways...since u r also interested in the PRO 900 you can probably refer here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread

to gauge everyone's view on them...

Hifimans are in my want list too :) Superb cans....

Hv fun...

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Just to compare...

They all have their unique sound sig...as for response goes...you can check the above.  Its just a 1D comparison but still something.

I can't find a graph for the 750 PRO else I would have included that too...

Anyways...since u r also interested in the PRO 900 you can probably refer here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread

to gauge everyone's view on them...

Hifimans are in my want list too :) Superb cans....

Hv fun...

Hahahaha that graph is about as bad as it can get, its showing the KRK KNS 8400 at 10db all the way down to 10 Hz and more bassy then the D2000, Pro 900 and HE-500....That is ridiculous, as the 8400 is by a margin the least bassiest of them all. Headroom has some funky measurements. The KNS 8400 should be flattest of them, but it's all over all the place. Having owned three of them, that graph makes no sense to me I stopped trusting FR a long time ago, especially ones from Headroom. Something more useful then FR is waterfall charts/plots that give a much more correct picture of what is actually happening as it takes resonance into account.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Hahahaha that graph is about as bad as it can get, its showing the KRK KNS 8400 at 10db all the way down to 10 Hz and more bassy then the D2000, Pro 900 and HE-500....That is ridiculous, as the 8400 is by a margin the least bassiest of them all. Headroom has some funky measurements. The KNS 8400 should be flattest of them, but it's all over all the place. Having owned three of them, that graph makes no sense to me I stopped trusting FR a long time ago, especially ones from Headroom. Something more useful then FR is waterfall charts/plots that give a much more correct picture of what is actually happening as it takes resonance into account.

Actually, i thought so too...but thats the measurement they got, and I can't dispute that. Maybe there are other sites which potray the KRK differently...u have any other sites?
I agree with you on the lows...a little far fetch, but i am no expert...so. Well...just sharing. Haven't heard of the waterfall charts...any place i can get them for various models?
Thanks.

@daniel521 Have fun on your purchase, and do let us know how u like em :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #26 of 37
The only person online I can usually rely on to give good measurements is Tyll from Innerfidelity. This man actually knows what he's talking about and seems to have good measurements. Typically, the watercharts are done for monitor speakers to find out their transient response and decay. It is usually never done for headphones, as most people don't need it. I remember reading one a while back for LCD-2 and one more that I can't remember at the moment. At this point I have just accepted to not worry about FR graphs as they can be done in so many ways that the result with the same headphone can be different significantly, and since waterfall plots aren't available for headphones I usually rely more on the average opinion of this forum and others, if I can't listen to it myself.

On Audez'e's website they have listed the waterfall chart of LCD-3: http://audeze.com/sites/default/files/LCD-3-Waterfall.png

If you need to learn how to interpret the graphy, a place I would highly recommend is Sound On Sound. These guys are professionals and know what they are talking about.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #27 of 37
Thank you so much for the explanation. Appreciate it.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #28 of 37
Anytime :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back