Good and not expensive phono preamp and cartridge?
Sep 5, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #16 of 39
I highly recommend the Audio Technica 440MLa. I have heard of a phono preamp that is THE preamp to get with the cart. It's called "The Bugle" and can be bought for under $150.00. I haven't heard it but I have been told that it is a match made in heaven.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 39
The Bugle works battery powered! (I've never seen that in a phono stage) and its power supply is not sold assembly
frown.gif

Is a good idea to buy the Standard one (assembly, without power supply)?
Oh, this vinyl setup is going to turn me crazy!!
Has someone compared the Audio Technica 440MLa vs. Denon DL 160? I've thinking in to buy both cartridges to compare them for myself, but I don't want to buy 2 phono preamps (sorry for my poor english, I hope everyone here understand me)

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #20 of 39
It should work fine. The Denon DL110 or DL160 are what's known as HOMC high ouput moving coil so you get the benefits of the moving coil sound but the output is almost the same as a MM stage and doesn't require a special MC stage.

The AT440 is a very fine cart too. It will have slightly more detail than the Denon due to it's contact line stylus but won't sound quite as lush. Some people accuse the AT of being a bit too brightly lit in the highs whereas the Denon's are generally richer sounding.

Denon 's 103 cart is the most famous but this is low output so does require a proper MC stage. These are a bit of a cult item being deveoped for Broadcasters and not much changed since the 1950s.

Although on paper the compliance seems too high for the Technics tonearm, the amount of energy dumped into the bearings is damped by the rubber insulated joints so they work very well by all accounts with what is basically a vintage '70s design.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by truant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bugle works battery powered! (I've never seen that in a phono stage) and its power supply is not sold assembly
frown.gif

Is a good idea to buy the Standard one (assembly, without power supply)?
Oh, this vinyl setup is going to turn me crazy!!
Has someone compared the Audio Technica 440MLa vs. Denon DL 160? I've thinking in to buy both cartridges to compare them for myself, but I don't want to buy 2 phono preamps (sorry for my poor english, I hope everyone here understand me)

The big advantage of batteries is that they are quieter than any power supply.A power supply is available with the Bugle Pro and The Ripper if you need the extra capability for more money.The Ripper can be used as a stand alone phono stage as well as ripping vinyl to your computer.It also contains a modest headphone amplifier.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 39
Maybe I have to consider "The Bugle"... But I need to know if this preamp will beats the Bellari VP 129.
Anybody has listened both preamps?
There is a good review at Stereophile about the Bellari.
Thankss to all for your help!

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by truant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I have to consider "The Bugle"... But I need to know if this preamp will beats the Bellari VP 129.
Anybody has listened both preamps?
There is a good review at Stereophile about the Bellari.
Thankss to all for your help!

I have no first hand experience with the Bellari but I believe the Bugle to be better.Search at the Vinyl Asylum.I am sure you will find an answer there.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain to us what makes the Bugle so compelling a choice and that much better than other low cost phono-preamps.

--Jerome

,The Bugle costs $129 and the Bellari costs $250.The Bugle has a 40db gain vs the Bellari 30db gain.The battery powered Bugle will of course run quieter than the Bellari.Some Bellari owners have reported hum and noise problems but I suspect these have largely been resolved.The Bugle does not have an enclosure if this is important.Its designed for people who listen to music and not for those who shop with their eyes.Both phono amps have a good reputation and I am sure you would be happy with either one.

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #26 of 39
I have one of these guys:

TCC TC-760LC Moving Magnet / Moving Coil Phono Preamp w/Level Control
41mkAkToaML._SS400_.jpg

413uhi4dDQL._SS400_.jpg

It was a good deal for the price. Its not cheesy looking and is built like a tank, and actually sounds pretty damn good.

Amazon link

Sep 8, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

41mkAkToaML._SS400_.jpg

413uhi4dDQL._SS400_.jpg

It was a good deal for the price. Its not cheesy looking and is built like a tank, and actually sounds pretty damn good.

Amazon link

Excellent unit for the money.The big problem with all budget phono amps are the compromised power supplies.High quality noise free regulated power supplies are very expensive to make.This is what makes the Hagerman Bugle such a giant killer.The Bugle is a battery powered phono stage done right.I think some people get turned off buy the bugle because it looks like a toy but the sound that comes out of it is jaw dropping.

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So do I. It was the best $73.50 I ever spent on audio equipment or accessories.

I also have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640p, which costs more than double the price of the TC-760LC. It sounds every bit as good as the Cambridge piece, which is highly regarded on Vinyl Asylum and in review after review.

And I respectfully disagree with what ssportclay is saying about the power supplies. It certainly is not an issue that impacts the sound quality delivered by either of the phono preamps that I own. I'm using a Benz Micro Glider MC cart on my Rega P7 with the TC-760LC, and I am inclined to sell my Cambridge 640p since I think the performance is the same. Both are capable of providing terrific vinyl sound. I'm sure The Bugle is a great low cost option, but the fact that it is battery powered does not make alternatives like the Cambridge 640p or the TC-760LC inferior products.

I've said all I have to say on the subject. There's no need to argue over the choice of a low cost phono preamp. There are a lot of good low-cost options out there and any one of them is capable of providing a rich, satisfying listening experience. This is really starting to sound like people are lobbying for their personal favorites, as if choosing something different would be a colossal mistake. I suspect the thread starter is starting to get confused.

Truant, you probably already have enough information to make a decision. I suggest you settle on a choice, put in your order, and enjoy the music.

--Jerome

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 39
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the phono preamps you are considering. So you should at least feel confident in picking one without any regrets.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back