Good amp for Senn HD598?
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 9
HD448? HD598?

These are pretty easy to drive.
Can't go wrong with Fiio E10K (desktop USB Powered DAC/Amp)

If you want a bassy headphone for EDM and Rap you should look elsewhere.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 9
HD598... sorry.  I'm not a big basshead, my current headphones are Grado Sr80i's and I have no complaints about the bass.   I tend to focus the most on vocals and I would like a larger soundstage.

Thanks for the reply.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 9
  HD598... sorry.  I'm not a big basshead, my current headphones are Grado Sr80i's and I have no complaints about the bass.   I tend to focus the most on vocals and I would like a larger soundstage.

Thanks for the reply.

Then HD598 might serve you well. Same for Audio Technica AD900X.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 9
  I'm getting some Senn HD498's soon, but I'm not sure what kind of amp to pair with it. I listen to mostly alt rock, folk, EDM, and rap.  Suggestions?

My $28 FiiO E6 headphone amplifier could drive the 50-Ohm HD598 headphones.

What source(s) are you going to be connecting the amplifier and HD598 to?

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 9
  I'm getting some Senn HD498's soon, but I'm not sure what kind of amp to pair with it. I listen to mostly alt rock, folk, EDM, and rap.  Suggestions?

HD448? HD598?

These are pretty easy to drive.
Can't go wrong with Fiio E10K (desktop USB Powered DAC/Amp)

If you want a bassy headphone for EDM and Rap you should look elsewhere.

Well I'm going to assume you mean HD 598, but anyways I've heard many, and I mean MANY negative views about the Fiio E10K with the HD 598. Don't get me wrong, I don't own the 598s (I've tried them before though), and the Fiio E10K is great (that, I do have) however I hear many negative views about how they pair with each other (something about it lacking presence, etc.) It might not be correct but that thread should be floating around the forums somewhere.
Personally I'd get the ODAC+O2 (it's like $200 USD or $300 CAD), I got mine Massdrop edition for $200 CAD.
If you don't want to wait for a price drop (like seriously they drop that once a year but they drop the K7XX every second week), you can get yourself the Audioengine D1 for quite a bit less.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 9

Well I'm going to assume you mean HD 598, but anyways I've heard many, and I mean MANY negative views about the Fiio E10K with the HD 598. Don't get me wrong, I don't own the 598s (I've tried them before though), and the Fiio E10K is great (that, I do have) however I hear many negative views about how they pair with each other (something about it lacking presence, etc.) It might not be correct but that thread should be floating around the forums somewhere.
Personally I'd get the ODAC+O2 (it's like $200 USD or $300 CAD), I got mine Massdrop edition for $200 CAD.
If you don't want to wait for a price drop (like seriously they drop that once a year but they drop the K7XX every second week), you can get yourself the Audioengine D1 for quite a bit less.

E10K is a neutral solid-state DAC/Amp with enough power, very little distortion and very low output impedance.
Some people might prefer HD598 with an amplifier or soundcard with higher output impedance, that results in a warmer sound signature at the expense of some precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back