Good Amp DAC for use with Audio Technica ATH-AD2000
May 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Androktasiai

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking to find what would be a "current" (as in currently available in todays market) Desktop Amp and DAC that would pair well with the ATH-AD2000.

I now there are other threads about this topic, but I have found that they are all EXTREMELY outdated.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

May 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you looking for a 2 on 1 unit? (amp/dac) or 2 separate units? budget? 

May 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Probably the HRT streamer II which is a nice dac on its price. 

May 9, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 8
If you are looking for a one-box solution, the Anedio D1 was a great match straight out of its headphone out.  I only don't own the AD2000 now because of fit issues.  The D1 is discontinued but the D2, its successor, is also well received and the amp is supposed to be a bit better than the D1.

May 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Either of these are great with the AD2000's:  

1. Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA
2. Burson Audio 160 / 160D

The Isabellina is "magical" with the AD2000's - just a superb match - it seems to smooth them out, and warm them just a wee bit.  I've not heard the AD2000's sound as good with any other amp (that I've heard with them).  And the DAC is great also - virtually as good as my Monarchy M24 Tube DAC, which is as good as it gets.  As ASR suggests... the AD2000's can very easily become your "end game" with the right amp and source (and perhaps cable).  They sound as good as all other phones I've tried (which include most of the good ones)... and... better than most.

The Buson is very close to the Isabellina with the AD2000's - also a great match, which very much the same result.  And... the DAC is also great, when driven by a CD transport - I never use a PC as a transport, or source (they don't compare to a good DAC / CDP, unless you have the very high end music servers - $7,000, though the SSD iPod Touch may be a good transport for an outboard DAC).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back