going to spain
Apr 19, 2008 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fhuang

Headphoneus Supremus
actually not me. it's my girlfriend and a friend of her. she'll be going to a few cities. anything she needs to be aware of? i mostly worry about safety issue. thanks

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 12
No. Spain is Great. The people are friendly and I'm sure she will have a great time.

Unfortunately big cities all over the world have their share of petty crime,Pickpockets etc including Spain but you have to just use you common sense on that one.

She may have to watch out for the Spanish men !!!!!!!! they all think they are gorgeous.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 12
One thing I recommend, especially for Americans, is don't be embarrassed if you are over weight in Europe. Yes, we are fat but it's OK.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Spain is wonderful and safe, but like in any other country there are places and people that can be scary. I love Barcelona, but in the subway late at night I was harassed by a drunk person and there were certain downtown areas which were not completely safe at night. Use common sense. Enjoy it but be careful.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 12
It's great there.
I've been there in my Bar Mitzva Trip 3 years ago.
Spain is very famous for their ham, it's displayed at the shop windows. I didn't try it, but I hear it's very good.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Make a Xerox copy of your passport. I know 2 people that went to Barcelona.
Both of them got mugged. If you are asian, they will think you will be carrying alot of money. Try to stay in a group.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. Spain is Great. The people are friendly and I'm sure she will have a great time.

Unfortunately big cities all over the world have their share of petty crime,Pickpockets etc including Spain but you have to just use you common sense on that one.

She may have to watch out for the Spanish men !!!!!!!! they all think they are gorgeous.
rolleyes.gif

Because they are?

Uh I'd say, don't wear a fanny pack. From what I understand the worldwide equation is Fannypack=tourist=easy target. Fannypack+blocker+razor blade=empty fanny pack on you.

If you're in Spain, you should watch out for being offensive. I'm willing to say that Americans (US) for some reason have a hard time carrying themselves in other countries so there is a "auto" hate level. They are probably jealous of our gorgeous men and women.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...She may have to watch out for the Spanish men !!!!!!!! they all think they are gorgeous.
rolleyes.gif

And they will "attack" anything that wears an skirt! But so is the case in most "latin" cultures whether in Europe or in Latin America.
eek.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

On a serious note I hope she and her friend can try some of Ribera del Duero red wines. They are superb!!!

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they will "attack" anything that wears an skirt! But so is the case in most "latin" cultures whether in Europe or in Latin America.
eek.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

nah, i used to like that when i was younger
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks guys. too bad i couldn't go

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Wow, some of you have pretty scary clichés in mind...
I don't know if it's because you live in an overprotected environment or because you've never been out the us, but Spain is as safe as any other developped country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back