Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #52,112 of 62,907
For bassy music I was able to get the WF-1000XM4 for $250CAD versus the $180CAD for the L4. Sennheiser MTW3 is also in sale for $250CAD or there about.

For less money I can but the Texhnics AZ60 for as low as $169CAD which is a really good IEM.

Also Soundcore Liberty Pro 3 has more bass than the L4 and is quite often cheaper.
Out of interest which more expensive ones on offer would U recommend for bassy music?

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #52,113 of 62,907
For bassy music I was able to get the WF-1000XM4 for $250CAD versus the $180CAD for the L4. Sennheiser MTW3 is also in sale for $250CAD or there about.

For less money I can but the Texhnics AZ60 for as low as $169CAD which is a really good IEM.

Also Soundcore Liberty Pro 3 has more bass than the L4 and is quite often cheaper.
thanks will look into those

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #52,114 of 62,907
OK, I used the XM4 on the train thos morning and MTW3 on the way back tonight with walking outside using both. The XM4 has an edge for pure noise canceling but the MTW3 handle wind better which is huge in my neck of the woods.

I also tried switching the Sennheiser tips with the Sony hybrid tips and they fit very well and sound really nice with the treble EQ I have been using.

The only issue I have had with the MTW3 is accidental touches when not in ear. I have had them crank the volume up to the max which is a nasty surprise when put them back in my ears. Other than that issue I really like their touch scheme. It's easy to use and pretty intuitive and more responsive than Sony. But Sony allow me to use voice assistant by voice alone. But i do give the edge to the MTW3.

Comfort and stability is won by the MTW3. They are smaller so more comfy and because the Sony size can make them come loose I find the MTW3 also more stable. But the MTW3 sometimes don't feel more stable because of the shape and size. But even when they feel unstable a head shake test usually finds they are actually secure.

So it's kind of boiling down to sound and I like BOTH. The MTW3 offer a V shaped sound with really nice bass and treble along with a slightly warm midrange (my EQ mostly fixes the warmth). I find them very satisfying for instruments like electric guitars and drumkits like cymbals, and brushes. The Sony in the hand has a more textures bass and more emotive mids making them great for vocal jazz, cellos, and some sub bass instruments like organs. It's slightly softer in the upper mids and treble though so electric guitars can sound a bit less gritty.

Both seem to be able to be nicely EQ'd though so can blend into each other default strengths.

Wish I had a phone that could use the higher APTx codecs to see how much difference they might make.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #52,115 of 62,907
Android.
Currently a Google Pixel 7 Pro, so I don't even think I'm getting the best sound of these puppies. I don't remember which codec exactly that they're using but I don't think I'm getting AptX Adaptive for an example, just AptX, IIRC.

Honestly, almost all types of music. Everything from indie-rock, folk and emo to hip-hop and r&b, to ambient and jazz/blues, to death metal and hardcore, a bunch of electronic music (like Future Bass, House, UK/Future Garage, Trance all the way to poppy music like straight up pop, k-pop, j-pop, some prog metal and prog rock, and a bunch of other stuff. My music taste is somewhat "eclectic", I guess you could say.
Old and new music.

I kinda disagree though, like electronic music with these sound EXCELLENT because of that bass being insanely tight and fast but also being really deep and rumbly without bloat, when it's called for.
Listened to some 90's pop trance-bangers yesterday actually and thought they did excellent! Even checked out some Psytrance for the first time in awhile to remember if I still wasn't a big fan of it (kinda not, for the most part), but purely sonically? It sounded great, specifically because of those fast basslines being heavy but still not getting bloated up.
I think it sounds good whatever I throw at it for the most part, and while I agree that intimate, slightly more organic and calm music sounds good, I actually think that more upbeat and expansive music sounds just as good tbh!
Might be a question about EQ or fit though that makes it not perform the same for us though.

Agree the ZE8000 is phenomenal and vastly versatile. The FR is not unlike my MH335DWSR in a pyramid-like energy distribution but still managed to put in an excellent treble presence. Positional cues and definition is excellent.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #52,116 of 62,907
sigh.... every time a see another APTx Adaptive product I get more peeved at Samsung. Greedy $%%$#$ make me so mad.
Sennheiser BTD 600 can solve your problem. Probably won't be a solution if you need the TWS app functionality though.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #52,117 of 62,907
I do like them too. I'll have to sit down and compare all three extensively when I have time. Damn kids...
Did you ever compare them all? Wondering how the OnePlus Buds Pro 2 compare with the Oppo Enco X2. Does the bass hit similarly on the X2? As you said, it really goes deep and it's very punchy and has nice slam but I can get a really good deal on a new set of X2's as I'll likely return the OnePlus.

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #52,118 of 62,907
Sennheiser BTD 600 can solve your problem. Probably won't be a solution if you meed the TWS app functionality though.
I may grab that! Thanks for the info! :)

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #52,120 of 62,907
Did you ever compare them all? Wondering how the OnePlus Buds Pro 2 compare with the Oppo Enco X2. Does the bass hit similarly on the X2? As you said, it really goes deep and it's very punchy and has nice slam but I can get a really good deal on a new set of X2's as I'll likely return the OnePlus.
Sorry, family life got in the way. Forgot what I said! Bass is tighter and cleaner on the Oppo, but not as deep/punchy/big as the OnePlus. I find myself grabbing the Oppo more due to the volume controls. Also prefer the build quality of the Oppo. Bass of the OnePlus is great, but I'm leaning towards a return - way too many tws buds here and they're sooo similar to the Oppo in features sans the volume controls. Might seem like a little thing, but volume controls are a huge plus for me when I'm walking away from my phone/computer. Huge omission by OnePlus for a second gen bud imo.

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #52,121 of 62,907
Sorry, family life got in the way. Forgot what I said! Bass is tighter and cleaner on the Oppo, but not as deep/punchy/big as the OnePlus. I find myself grabbing the Oppo more due to the volume controls. Also prefer the build quality of the Oppo. Bass of the OnePlus is great, but I'm leaning towards a return - way too many tws buds here and they're sooo similar to the Oppo in features sans the volume controls. Might seem like a little thing, but volume controls are a huge plus for me when I'm walking away from my phone/computer. Huge omission by OnePlus for a second gen bud imo.
Interesting 🤔 considering the hardware is the same and all. Is there an eq in the app for the x2?

Trying my hardest not to pull the trigger on a brand new set of X2 for £65

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #52,122 of 62,907
Not sure I understood correctly, do you mean for you the B&W Pi7 (which he lists as C-tier) is the best you've tested so far?
Yes that is correct I agree with most of his descriptions and tiers.....but I do still think I would rate the B&W Pi7 in my top tier vs what he has as a C rated tier. Gotta realize everyone has different preferences, but he is spot on with the AKGn400 and the Phillips Fidelio T1.....I think the Senns MTW 3 are not as good as he rates them and prefer the B&W over them for truley accurate mids and musical fullness. Very rich and immersive sound with great detail. He also has more TWS buds then I have actually tried so he may have some more recommendations that I cannot comment on. But I think he is pretty spot on with the other assessments. Sony XM4's are way overated. And I do think the Libery 4 and actually the Libert Soundcore Lie A3i are fantastic sounding buds(especially for their price) I paid under $27 on Amazon flash sale for the A3i and there is no other TWS that comes even close to these sq wise. These can compete with the B listers and possiblly some of the A List tier

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #52,123 of 62,907
Interesting 🤔 considering the hardware is the same and all. Is there an eq in the app for the x2?

No EQ but there are presets and a custom ear tuning process.

That price is less than half of what I paid for my Enco X2!

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #52,124 of 62,907
No EQ but there are presets and a custom ear tuning process.

That price is less than half of what I paid for my Enco X2!
Thanks for the replies!

I pulled the trigger, couldn't pass that deal up. I think if I'm a bit crafty I could beef the bass up by either tricking the ear tuning process or using Viper4Android/Wavelet if I feel the need.

I do find it weird that they didn't include EQ though. I guess it was more marketing stuff for OnePlus to have it included.

I'll attempt to do an A/B test before returning the OnePlus Buds to see the difference in sound myself too.

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #52,125 of 62,907

Where'd you get them from. I'm in Europe for a bit and wouldn't mind grabbing them too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back