Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #41,971 of 62,905
Idk man... That has a planar driver and you might want to check the sensitivity. I don't think the az09 pro will have enough to drive those to full potential. I haven't had issues with utws5 but if you want to rid yourself of concern then take em back. I haven't checked sensitivity on them yet so I don't know for sure
No info on the Shuoer site. The Mangrid are 18ohm and work flawlessly on those AZ09 Pro. When you do the triple-click no the left adapter too, it kicks it into overdrive. Variations are 15ohm but I can't get them connected to them. I think i can file down a part of the tip on the adapters. Seems to be a little plastic lip, maybe 1 or so mm. Trying to muster up that courage and go for it.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #41,972 of 62,905
No info on the Shuoer site. The Mangrid are 18ohm and work flawlessly on those AZ09 Pro. When you do the triple-click no the left adapter too, it kicks it into overdrive. Variations are 15ohm but I can't get them connected to them. I think i can file down a part of the tip on the adapters. Seems to be a little plastic lip, maybe 1 or so mm. Trying to muster up that courage and go for it.
What I found was 14 ohm and a sensitivity of 103. It's a planar though. Not normally a set I would put on a source like the AZ09 pro. I could be wrong though. The teas should have no problem or the variations as far as output power but planar need a bit more to bring them to their potential, most of the time. The good thing is the az09 pro are pretty damn cheap so it wouldn't hurt quite as bad. Truthfully if he had a magic ball and new he wouldn't have issues than the Fiio's should be just about okay to drive them. Again I could be wrong, I don't own or haven't tried the s12, it's just something to take into Consideration

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #41,973 of 62,905
Man I have had good experience with all Fiio products. I own quite a few of their iems, had a couple fiio Daps and still use my fiio m11 on occasion. I suppose they need to step up their game in the wireless segment and maybe they prob are behind on updates as opposed to other companies but if you think of value for the money... At least for me there isn't many companies that give more
And I am sure they are great products. I just felt betrayed and ignored as a loyal customer, so they could move on to android, and they never looked back. Again, I don't hold any real grudge at this point. I have just found that for the money to sound to features ratio, iBasso has been better for my wallet than Fiio (except maybe those UTWx, which I really would like to try sometime hehe).
You guys are scaring me off! I have an unopened UTWS5 sitting here while I wait for my Shuoer S12. I got the FIIO because every other post in the LETSHUOER thread seems to say that they like a good amp and I figured that was the FIIO. Maybe I should just go with the AZ09 Pros to start?
Don't be scared off. Don't listen to me. I am ranting about something that happened many years ago. Fiio could not stand among the top DAP makers if they weren't doing something right. You will never know until you try. That is half of what this hobby is about (experimentation with the goal of top sound to your ears).
Idk man... That has a planar driver and you might want to check the sensitivity. I don't think the az09 pro will have enough to drive those to full potential. I haven't had issues with utws5 but if you want to rid yourself of concern then take em back. I haven't checked sensitivity on them yet so I don't know for sure
Remember that with planars knowing the impedance and sensitivity doesn't help much. Having lower impedance, and high sensitivity (with planers) only means that it can run on anything. Having more current (not voltage) available will drive them to their full potential. The problem is that nobody knows what that magical number is because the headphone/IEM makers don't release amperage requirements (because all other speakers don't need to give this measurement). Plus, if they release this information, even at cheaper prices, less people will buy them thinking they need a higher-powered amp to drive them. They want to sell them to the masses... :)

But you are right, they might not get fully driven with the AZ09. I remember when @miserybeforethemusic did a test with the iBasso CF01 and the Tinhifi P1. They could be driven with the CF, but there was barely any headroom, and it was definitely not to their full potential, as was shown by him listening to the same stuff through his A&K afterwards. Good Call!

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #41,974 of 62,905
The Sh12s are 16 ohms. From what I know that means they should not be hard to drive. Sensitivity is 102+/-1DB@1Khz. What does that mean amp-wise? I plan to plug them into various amps I have from back in the day (of wires) just to see how they sound, and if the output seems weak then I'll go ahead and open up the FIIO. But most of those various amps happen to be FIIOs that had seen little use and I'd rather not add these to that pile.

edit: thanks @samandhi I think you covered it well.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #41,975 of 62,905
And I am sure they are great products. I just felt betrayed and ignored as a loyal customer, so they could move on to android, and they never looked back. Again, I don't hold any real grudge at this point. I have just found that for the money to sound to features ratio, iBasso has been better for my wallet than Fiio (except maybe those UTWx, which I really would like to try sometime hehe).

Don't be scared off. Don't listen to me. I am ranting about something that happened many years ago. Fiio could not stand among the top DAP makers if they weren't doing something right. You will never know until you try. That is half of what this hobby is about (experimentation with the goal of top sound to your ears).

Remember that with planars knowing the impedance and sensitivity doesn't help much. Having lower impedance, and high sensitivity (with planers) only means that it can run on anything. Having more current (not voltage) available will drive them to their full potential. The problem is that nobody knows what that magical number is because the headphone/IEM makers don't release amperage requirements (because all other speakers don't need to give this measurement). Plus, if they release this information, even at cheaper prices, less people will buy them thinking they need a higher-powered amp to drive them. They want to sell them to the masses... :)

But you are right, they might not get fully driven with the AZ09. I remember when @miserybeforethemusic did a test with the iBasso CF01 and the Tinhifi P1. They could be driven with the CF, but there was barely any headroom, and it was definitely not to their full potential, as was shown by him listening to the same stuff through his A&K afterwards. Good Call!
Yeah, I'm just afraid that it prob wouldn't sound all that great. It would likely play through them but just not with any good quality. The p1's are renowned for being difficult to drive. The Timeless love power as well, more power the better. I don't know about the s12 but history kind of tells us that it may not work too well. Truthfully I don't know for sure the Fiio's will drive them really well.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #41,976 of 62,905
The Sh12s are 16 ohms. From what I know that means they should not be hard to drive. Sensitivity is 102+/-1DB@1Khz. What does that mean amp-wise? I plan to plug them into various amps I have from back in the day (of wires) just to see how they sound, and if the output seems weak then I'll go ahead and open up the FIIO. But most of those various amps happen to be FIIOs that had seen little use and I'd rather not add these to that pile.

In all honesty I wouldn't sweat it either way. If you like it, then it doesn't matter. Don't let the thought of them possibly not being driven to full potential get into your head. They will drive and get pretty loud from a weak phone. They simply will scale better with better amping is all.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #41,977 of 62,905
Yeah, I'm just afraid that it prob wouldn't sound all that great. It would likely play through them but just not with any good quality. The p1's are renowned for being difficult to drive. The Timeless love power as well, more power the better. I don't know about the s12 but history kind of tells us that it may not work too well. Truthfully I don't know for sure the Fiio's will drive them really well.
You certainly make compelling points. I think the Timeless drive from far less because they are way more sensitive than the P1, which are only 93. But they do both scale very well with good amping.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #41,978 of 62,905

Okay cool. Well, I did do the hack and filed off some of the extra lip on those AZ09 Pro. They fit the Moondrop Variations great now and they sure as hell power them really well. Just as good as the Fiio IMO. You can do full power mode or not. If these suckers power the Variation and the Mangird Tea, I can't imagine they wouldn't power those Sh12s. But I'm no expert.

Attachments

• F38C5CAD-E4F4-4486-9B70-EC6E8C7C20E6.jpeg
    F38C5CAD-E4F4-4486-9B70-EC6E8C7C20E6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 292354FC-DA3A-411F-8A71-46EF1EA716C2.jpeg
    292354FC-DA3A-411F-8A71-46EF1EA716C2.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • AB0257CC-2A72-4889-823B-7821BD02334F.jpeg
    AB0257CC-2A72-4889-823B-7821BD02334F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #41,979 of 62,905
In the end we all want to think that that $200 we spent bought us the best IEM/headphone/TWS/earbud in the world, and everyone else must be crazy. And there are certainly those gems that DO punch in at much higher than their price tag (ie Audiosense T800), but other times, everyone but you think they are a turd...... Be proud of them, I say! :upside_down:

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #41,980 of 62,905
In the end we all want to think that that $200 we spent bought us the best IEM/headphone/TWS/earbud in the world, and everyone else must be crazy. And there are certainly those gems that DO punch in at much higher than their price tag (ie Audiosense T800), but other times, everyone but you think they are a turd...... Be proud of them, I say! :upside_down:
Yup, we're all chasing a dream that never ends.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #41,981 of 62,905

Tell you what though... I would love to get my hands on the s12. They look very nice. If they can compete with the Timeless then.... That is saying something. I've only seen a couple reviews on them and they've been positive. Also, dude in no way was I trying to scare you off. I was talking about potential and that may have gotten lost there. The az09 pro are no slouch... At all. For the price I really enjoy them, hell for double the price I'd enjoy them. I think you'll be pretty happy with that set though and I can't wait to hear what you think of them

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #41,982 of 62,905
Tell you what though... I would love to get my hands on the s12. They look very nice. If they can compete with the Timeless then.... That is saying something. I've only seen a couple reviews on them and they've been positive. Also, dude in no way was I trying to scare you off. I was talking about potential and that may have gotten lost there. The az09 pro are no slouch... At all. For the price I really enjoy them, hell for double the price I'd enjoy them. I think you'll be pretty happy with that set though and I can't wait to hear what you think of them
The graphs between the two (Timeless, S12) look eerily similar, even though LETSHUOER (yeah they say it supposed to be all caps) says they are totally different drivers. The highs look a bit better on the S12, but graphs aren't "end-all-be-all" after all.

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #41,983 of 62,905
The graphs between the two (Timeless, S12) look eerily similar, even though LETSHUOER (yeah they say it supposed to be all caps) says they are totally different drivers. The highs look a bit better on the S12, but graphs aren't "end-all-be-all" after all.
100%...Ya I agree with you about graphs... Some people live and die by them. Which is fine,...but a bit deceiving at times, or, it just doesn't always paint the whole picture. I think the natural set to pit the s12 against would be the Timeless at this point. I am intrigued by the S12 for sure. I am about out of funds at the moment for more audio devices lol... I suppose I will live through others for a bit on this one.. Lol

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #41,984 of 62,905
100%...Ya I agree with you about graphs... Some people live and die by them. Which is fine,...but a bit deceiving at times, or, it just doesn't always paint the whole picture. I think the natural set to pit the s12 against would be the Timeless at this point. I am intrigued by the S12 for sure. I am about out of funds at the moment for more audio devices lol... I suppose I will live through others for a bit on this one.. Lol
I dunno'. I might have to check out the P1+ for giggles. @ RikudouGoku seems to think they are much improved from the OG P1, and he scored the P1 pretty high, even though he thought them bright (which I did not). I am not too sure about them being better though, because the P1 are the planar IEM that all others must stack up to (IMO), being the first BIG seller of planar IEM (iSine10 don't really count because they sucked until they released the Cypher cable).

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #41,985 of 62,905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back