Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 9, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #30,422 of 63,187
Would you please share the EQ profile you’ve elected for the MT? Thanks.
Sure thing. Here you go:
Screenshot_20210309-094845.jpg
Screenshot_20210309-094858.jpg
Screenshot_20210309-094906.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #30,424 of 63,187
Melomania 1+ announced. Will have high end audio and app like the touch bit in the original form factor. And comes with foam tips.

Hmmmmmm.
Seems about the same as MT but in the shape/design of the Melomania 1.

-USB Type-C charging
-Melomania app support
-High Performance Audio Mode

But bit cheaper than the MT and has their stock foam tip support. MT has bigger drivers though so I'm guessing MT will still be better (5.8mm on 1+, 7mm on MT).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #30,425 of 63,187
Just got my CA MT...And there's a problem right away, the left earbud wont charge in the case :)

I'll give them 1-2 tries to send me a working pair, because I really love the sound coming out of these.

I just can't believe that they're having these kinds of issues since this is not their first True Wireless earbuds.

Seems about the same as MT but in the shape/design of the Melomania 1.

-USB Type-C charging
-Melomania app support
-High Performance Audio Mode

But bit cheaper than the MT and has their stock foam tip support. MT has bigger drivers though so I'm guessing MT will still be better (5.8mm on 1+, 7mm on MT).

It doesn't have ambient mode though? I value this feature a lot :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #30,426 of 63,187
so jabra elite 85t is your recommendation actually, right?

thanks for your mini-review my friend
I promised I'd reply to you on whether I would recommend after a few days. Here's my thoughts:
  • If you're in the Apple ecosystem exclusively then Airpods Pro are the better buy assuming roughly the same pricing: Slightly worse but still good ANC and battery life, much better transparency, better Apple integration and if you have a big iPad/watch video then Spatial audio is very nice, together with slightly better calls if you're not in a windy or very noisy place.
  • If you have Android then the whole Jabra package fitted my requirements perfectly. It is reliable, which in spite of my stress testing, is something quite unusual in my collection of TWS and headphones (e.g Bose for the continual 700 bugs...)... it does dual connections well - better than my Bose and the Sony XM4 over-ears.
  • I prefer the sound resolution of the Airpods but I can tune the tonality of the Jabras closer to my needs, especially using Waveform on Android. The Jabra's retain the EQ settings in the headphone so even on iPad or Mac/PC they still sound the same.
  • The Jabra sound is quite good but isn't good enough that you want to listen to your collection again. It is, however, consistent across all devices... which is a major win for me as the Airpods don't do this given the different status of EQ in iOS, iPadOS and MacOS.
  • I found the battery life for my use to be much better with the Jabras. I'm lucky to get 3 hours of calls out of the Airpods even at low volume and about 4'ish hours of music. I'm getting 5+ hours out of the Jabras and if I play music with ANC off then I can get 6 easily.
  • Fit after wearing them for a while is better for me with Jabra when walking (they don't move, whereas the AirPod Pro move in one ear just slighly enough to be annoying). Sitting down they both work well for me.
  • Controls are great because of the breadth and customisation and I like buttons rather than touch, but that's a personal preference.
  • Jabra's app is better than the scattered, rather bizarre collection of different places in iOS that Apple have spread Airpods Pro controls. It is also slick, easy to use and works reliably.
  • Jabra support have been great for me. The 2 year warranty for free is a bonus. The ability to get a replacement case and tips/eargels for a reasonable price is something few companies do.
Summary: If sound is paramount to your needs, look elsewhere. If you are in the Apple device world exclusively choose the Airpod Pro. If not, and you need good decent ANC then for me these are really difficult to beat right now.

P.S. Don't try to take Jabra's iOS App over to MacOS on M1 and run it. I tried: It resulted in the Jabra app crashing and leaving the buds in a weird state afterwards...cured by resetting the buds.

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #30,427 of 63,187
I am not sure if I am seeking encouragement or 'talk me out of this', but I have the rare opportunity to get something NEW tomorrow. At a not totally ridiculous price (well, it's all relative, but since flying is out of the question, I have to take (or leave) what the local market has to offer) ...
So, the bose quietcomfort earbuds ... I am a sucker for great ANC, and I like the Bose house sound .. I love my SSF and always wished they had the same ANC as the QC20 (there might be an old old post of mine in here saying that like 3 years ago) ... and I really enjoy the stay-hear tips ...
From what I read / skimmed here so far, I am fully aware that they are not ideal (at all) for running, but ok, for that I can use my Sabbats ...
Basically I am considering using them to slowly replace my QC35 over ears as desk audio devices.
It appears that there is a slight hype consensus on YT that these are currently the 'best' ANC together with the MTW2 ...

For context, I already have way too many ANC buds, but they all come with their caveats .. and heck, I am a hoarder .. I mean, collector :) Currently for daily walks I really love the Galaxy Beans. The Sony XM3 are very fit / seal depending and I barely dare moving with them. The appolos / tozos / bonola / dyplay / panasonics are all nice and such, but nothing really to fall in love with .. oh, and the APP have great ANC, play great with iOS .. and sound mainstream mediocre / safe for all genres ...

So, should i get the bose quietcomfort earbuds ... and why yes, why no :D

Important Bonus question; has anyone tested these for watching movies on mac using VLC? Was there a lag?
Can you easily return them? I am a Bose house sound fan also with the SS wireless and SSF in my running rotation. I bought the QC earbuds on day one as I have a local Bose store nearby. As everyone has mostly pointed out, they aren't great for running but you didn't intend using them for that purpose anyway. The sound is very good for a TWS. In the end, I travel so little now due to a job and location change 4 years ago and a global pandemic that I didn't see enough value in keeping another set roughly of $300 after tax Bose NC's as I already own the 35s and the QC20s. I know that doesn't help your intended use all that much but take from my opinion what you can.

On a different note, I am just loving the Soundpeats Truefree2 for running. I use the largest tips and they don't sit very deep in my ear canal so the "runner's thump" is minimal and even more so after the sweat loosens them even further. The wing fins keep them in place and I never need to fiddle with them. I get no wind sound (which annoys me even more than the thump) and the I think the sound is very reminiscent of the Bose house sound. I have purchased several sets for friends who are just getting started running. Such a bargain at around $24.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #30,428 of 63,187
Melomania 1+ announced. Will have high end audio and app like the touch bit in the original form factor. And comes with foam tips.

Hmmmmmm.
Ordered mine already, from Amazon. I love the M1s and really, despite all the other TW phones I have tried, the M1s sound is very very good, no EQ required. And the foam tips are, to me, what make them great. The original M1s had gone down to $79, but are now $99. Could be a price drop again with the M1+ arriving. I am going to sell off the Jabra 75t Active I bought recently (OB from Jabra), because I can't get them to fit properly without a lot of hassle. With the M1s, you get them in once with the foams tips and you are good. No ANC? No problem. No transparency? Don't use it. Anyway, this is quite a surprise from CA. Looking forward to hearing how they improved (hopefully) and already great sounding TW in-ear.

I owned the MTs, returned them. Connectivity issues and even with the new design, I didn't find them good enough to keep, owning the M1s. No, the M1s don't have all the features of many TW IEMs out there, but they are built like tanks, have great battery life and just sound great. Basic, simple pleasure. So hoping the M1+ takes them to another level.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #30,429 of 63,187
'Looking to get a small portable music player that has excellent bluetooth and gapless playback to pair with my Jabra Elite Active 75t during my workouts/ runs. I was just going to pick up one of the newer version sansa players when I realized none of them do gapless anymore let alone having decent bluetooth performance.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Shameless bump. Anyone?

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #30,430 of 63,187
Shameless bump. Anyone?
Maybe something from HiBy? I don't know many DAPs that would use the newer Snapdragon silicon that supports the TWS+ standard.

I think most of us just use our phones.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #30,431 of 63,187
Day 2 with the Technics. I've put the stock tips back on them and pretty much exclusively use them in conjunction with Neutralizer. In contrast to the stock tuning, it's considerably more tolerable and sibilance only shows up on those days where the mastering engineer was just feeling overly spiteful with a recording.

Usually, I can wax poetic about this kinda stuff, but these little guys have shut me up in a way that honestly surprised me. They're really, really good. Like in a technical sense they just play things in a super-refined way. I know there's probably some heavy power of persuasion, but the Technics really do remind me of 90s-era living-room Hi-Fi gear, right down to the sound. And for anybody who claims these don't have bass, the hour of hardstyle I just thoroughly enjoyed would like to have a word with you.

I've learned these buds were definitely designed to twist into place with a single hand. They don't do well with deep insertion. Matter of fact, these feel extremely close to my iSines against the inner ear. I really could have done without the little L/R indentations on each side of the part that rests against your ear, but my best guess is that Technics probably put that there to be intentionally annoying and keep users from trying to cram these too deep into their ears. Sure enough, you won't feel it at all when the fit is right, but it still digs at you during insertion/removal and I'm not really a fan.

Really wish UE would hurry up with sending out those replacement gels so I could revise my opinion on them. Based on memory, though, the Technics seem to be able to punch just a little harder, yet don't have the same upper-midrange resolution and staging/imaging that the UEs seem to pull off flawlessly. I'd have a really hard time choosing between these two if I had to and, honestly, the Technics kinda check all the boxes, minus support for Hi-Res (which is probably what gives the UEs that resolution edge).

So I'll take another stab at "the list." No qualifiers, just rankings:

1. Technics AZ70W (with Neutralizer)
2. UE FITS
3. Cambridge MT
4. Jabra 85t
5. JBL Club Pro+
6. Earfun Free Pro
7. Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro
8. M&D MW07 GO
9. Soundcore Liberty Air 2
10. Drop Move

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #30,432 of 63,187
@dj24 Maybe the Hiby R2 or Hidiz AP80. Double check the manuals for gapless. I have an AP80 but not sure I have anything gapless as it is mostly used for various podcasts. I know the Cowon Plenue D3 is gapless and has BT but the BT has given some trouble and others no real issue. Guess it would be decent but not great if you BT phones aren't good as far as antenna.

We also got a new vid since these are supposed to drop soon...

And a first look? at this...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #30,433 of 63,187
MT's sounding great again today but they are just not as a refined product as the MTW2 in other ways. While I have disabled the volume controls since the touch is just way too sensitive, it's still hard to touch these without activating the pause/unpause feature even though you try to grab from the top and bottom while avoiding the sides. Very finicky with the touch controls. One of the reviews I mentioned said you really gotta disable the volume controls otherwise these just won't work well.

So far testing the battery, these will last max 5 hours at High Quality if you listen to these at 85% volume or higher. Not 6 hours. Unless maybe the battery indicator is aggressively going down in the first hour and a half of listening to these.

Also, the fins. The band of the fins has an indentation on one side that matches a plastic nub on the bud, so that should line up. Problem is when that lines up, the microphone holes don't line up. That's a problem. I lined these up with the microphone holes and now transparency mode is pretty decent. But the fins aren't right. I have to email Cambridge and see if they send me new fins.

I did test these on a call today for the first time while walking the dog. Person on the other end did not complain about my voice, but they sounded off at times, kinda scratchy, also there was some digital interference here and there. Nothing that made them unintelligible, but never happened with the Senns. It was a VOIP call on Viber, which is how this person usually calls me, so I'll have to make more calls, who knows maybe it was something on the Viber side.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #30,434 of 63,187
Can you easily return them? I am a Bose house sound fan also with the SS wireless and SSF in my running rotation. I bought the QC earbuds on day one as I have a local Bose store nearby. As everyone has mostly pointed out, they aren't great for running but you didn't intend using them for that purpose anyway. The sound is very good for a TWS. In the end, I travel so little now due to a job and location change 4 years ago and a global pandemic that I didn't see enough value in keeping another set roughly of $300 after tax Bose NC's as I already own the 35s and the QC20s. I know that doesn't help your intended use all that much but take from my opinion what you can.

On a different note, I am just loving the Soundpeats Truefree2 for running. I use the largest tips and they don't sit very deep in my ear canal so the "runner's thump" is minimal and even more so after the sweat loosens them even further. The wing fins keep them in place and I never need to fiddle with them. I get no wind sound (which annoys me even more than the thump) and the I think the sound is very reminiscent of the Bose house sound. I have purchased several sets for friends who are just getting started running. Such a bargain at around $24.
Thanks for your input!
There is no easy return here, you can't even try them in shop .. as soon as you open the box, they can't sell as new anymore, so nope. Usually the prices here are crazy, like 50-100% on top of regular US price ... but with these, it is 'only' 10% .. and that actually would put them on par with the European 279€ price tag (Of course, now that I check, I see that amazon.de has them for 205€!)
I don;t really NEED another set, nor do I have any travel coming up ... but I happen to have a bit of money to burn (since there is nothing else to buy :D ) and well, those popped up on my radar ... How would you rate the ANC compared to the QC20?

I will keep those soundpeats in mind ... right now they want 60$ fedex shipping to my location ...

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #30,435 of 63,187
user error on the MT fins. I had switched the right and left. Woops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back