Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 15, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #25,771 of 63,195
I am enjoying my Buds Live aka GBeans tremendously!

I think a lot of reviews are not getting the open / no seal / not fully ANC concept ... it's different, in terms of sound and ease (and fit) they are marvelous
+1

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #25,772 of 63,195
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #25,773 of 63,195
I've seen the TRN BT20S going at about $25 USD during sales actually (on aliexpress). It is quite good in sound quality, only thing the TRN BT20S hisses with highly sensitive IEMs. It actually doesn't colour the sound much IMO, but I do find that there's a minute reduction of subbass and higher treble, but not too noticeable when on the go actually. The convenience it brings to the table much outweighs these areas, but YMMV.

There's a newer TRN BT20S Pro that has a charging box and detachable modules (for 2 pin/MMCX) so u can use it with different IEMs. That just recently came out, so best u ask the rest who got it as I haven't tried that. I read early impressions it has 10 hour battery life per charge (plus 3 more charges from the charging case), and doesn't hiss as bad as the TRN BT20, so this is definitely one set I have on my wishlist. I think with spare modules, the TRN BT20S Pro is about $70 - 80 USD, it just came out so I guess if u wait a few months, prices should drop later.
The 20S pro is much much louder than the 20S (50% on pc and my phone is plenty loud whereas with 20S I usually do 70-80% volume) and it is very hard to notice the hiss even when I turned the volume to Max, it is there but you need to be in a very quiet room and not listening to anything to even be able to hear the hiss.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #25,774 of 63,195
I had comfort issues with the buds live/beans so I returned them. I wish they didn't have a post and used a silicone slip cover on the back for fit. Or had an indentation for the wings to clip into, instead of around. After 30-40 minutes I was getting pain/hotspots from the wings, which sucked as I like using TWS for long sessions (until the battery gets low).

They were otherwise darn good for what they are. It's hard to get any bass with zero seal, unlike earbuds that have a partial seal when using foam covers. Ymmv.

The 20S pro is much much louder than the 20S (50% on pc and my phone is plenty loud whereas with 20S I usually do 70-80% volume) and it is very hard to notice the hiss even when I turned the volume to Max, it is there but you need to be in a very quiet room and not listening to anything to even be able to hear the hiss.

I found the BT20S plenty loud. But got lots of hiss with sensitive (ba) IEM's.

Tried them with my Westones and had to use them at minimum volume AND turn down the gain using sound balance on wavelet.

I typically used the BT20S at 4-25% and my old BT20 20-40% volume, at home. If out it could be 10-20% higher.

Glad this new one no longer has hiss.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #25,775 of 63,195

I found the BT20S plenty loud. But got lots of hiss with sensitive (ba) IEM's.

Tried them with my Westones and had to use them at minimum volume AND turn down the gain using sound balance on wavelet.

I typically used the BT20S at 4-25% and my old BT20 20-40% volume, at home. If out it could be 10-20% higher.

Glad this new one no longer has hiss.

hmmm.. my volume experience is the opposite, as the BT20S Pro' volume is somewhere between the BT20S and the old BT20. i never use them on Windows though, only on android devices.

with the same IEM, i if i would use the BT20S about 20-30%, i would need to set the Pro at about 40-50%.
the older BT20S is too loud that i often only use them 1 click of the phone's volume (about 5-10%)

the new Pro is much more reasonable and usable on the volume setting.

the Pro still have a faint hiss, but really so small that it doesn't detract from listening experience for me. the noise floor is even lower than the BT20. i can use my multi BA'ed DM6 on the pro nicely, while using it on the BT20S the noise is too high for my taste.

one of the other important improvement is definitely the earguides /wires. every IEM that i put on them would fit on my ears with much ease.. love it

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #25,776 of 63,195
hmmm.. my volume experience is the opposite, as the BT20S Pro' volume is somewhere between the BT20S and the old BT20. i never use them on Windows though, only on android devices.

with the same IEM, i if i would use the BT20S about 20-30%, i would need to set the Pro at about 40-50%.
the older BT20S is too loud that i often only use them 1 click of the phone's volume (about 5-10%)

the new Pro is much more reasonable and usable on the volume setting.

the Pro still have a faint hiss, but really so small that it doesn't detract from listening experience for me. the noise floor is even lower than the BT20. i can use my multi BA'ed DM6 on the pro nicely, while using it on the BT20S the noise is too high for my taste.

one of the other important improvement is definitely the earguides /wires. every IEM that i put on them would fit on my ears with much ease.. love it
What I love about the pro is the ear guide. It is no longer pinching my ear. When I use iem like kz ZS7 where the body has sharp edges, the ear guide will pinch the iem to the body and my ear lobe will sore after awhile.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #25,778 of 63,195
This made me realize how rarely I use the buttons on TWS ... most of the time I get the phone out anyways ...
Same, usually I was browsing and listening to music or podcast at the same time.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #25,780 of 63,195
This made me realize how rarely I use the buttons on TWS ... most of the time I get the phone out anyways ...
i prefer physical buttons and if I had a choice, no buttons or touch controls at all. I will adjust either using my iPhone or my Apple Watch. If it’s a DAP, the DAP is next to me anyway. The fact I’m a full album listener helps in that respect.

For similar reasons, I also dislike those where the music pauses when I take one earbud out. I’ve had some cheaper TWS where the music pauses when I yawn or take a sip of a drink. I don’t see why it matters if the music continues for a few seconds after removal.

Just old school I guess.

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #25,781 of 63,195
i prefer physical buttons and if I had a choice, no buttons or touch controls at all. I will adjust either using my iPhone or my Apple Watch. If it’s a DAP, the DAP is next to me anyway. The fact I’m a full album listener helps in that respect.

For similar reasons, I also dislike those where the music pauses when I take one earbud out. I’ve had some cheaper TWS where the music pauses when I yawn or take a sip of a drink. I don’t see why it matters if the music continues for a few seconds after removal.

Just old school I guess.

Same same ... i feel that old school that I really with a TWS set with NO phone capability! Microphones only for ANC. Not buttons, no cranks, no gears, no auto pause ... but maybe with color sleeves to be able to coordinate with clothes :D

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #25,782 of 63,195

Just old school I guess.

yes, i don't like that auto-pause feature too, which seems to be pushed as "added feature" by even the cheaper TWSs. i like the sensors just to disable the touch when removed from the ears, but i like to keep the music playing.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #25,783 of 63,195
@Caipirina @chinmie
Whenever I read a review on whether a TWS is good for phone calls, I don’t pay attention. I mean in 2020, who uses a phone to talk, verbalize, nowadays? Ha Ha
If you really want to talk to me when I’m listening to music, I’ll call you when I’m finished with my music enjoyment thank you very much.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #25,784 of 63,195
Same same ... i feel that old school that I really with a TWS set with NO phone capability! Microphones only for ANC. Not buttons, no cranks, no gears, no auto pause ... but maybe with color sleeves to be able to coordinate with clothes :D
I believe that connecting using Bluetooth with a headset profile (aka, loosely, SBC) requires a microphone hence why it is always included.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #25,785 of 63,195
Another thing to love about the TRN bt20s pro is auto on/off. Unlike the previous versions, you have to press and hold both Left and Right button to turn them on/off. Now, when you take them in/out the case, they will turn on/off automatically just like a regular TWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back