going from hd650 to a closed can
Mar 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

g5tar

500+ Head-Fier
i'm considering moving my listing setup to my bedroom, currently setup is audio gd dac-19mk3<c2sa<hd650, i'm afraid the leakage of the open cans will lead to the vast disapproval of my wife. as you can imagine i'm looking to switch to a closed can, but do not want to replace my amp- any suggestions would be appreciated, i'm afraid the c2sa might have too much power for denons and audio techicas, however  i'm not positive about that. 

thanks
greg.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Beyer has a couple good high impedance closed cans: DT770 and T5p
Or you could try modding a DT880 to become closed. It reportedly sounds like an HD650 after that.

I think there should be a jumper switch inside the amp to lower the voltage (volume) gain. So that would help with Denon or Audio-Technica low impedance headphones. The amp will still be very powerful. But power = voltage x current, and current is only supplied to the headphones as needed. So no need to worry about overpowering if you stay within normal listening levels.

Maybe try Fostex T40RP. It's the closed version of the popular T50RP ortho. Not as much discussion about it here, but then it's only $67 so you won't have lost much even if you don't like it in the end.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Beyer has a couple good high impedance closed cans: DT770 and T5p
Or you could try modding a DT880 to become closed. It reportedly sounds like an HD650 after that.

I think there should be a jumper switch inside the amp to lower the voltage (volume) gain. So that would help with Denon or Audio-Technica low impedance headphones. The amp will still be very powerful. But power = voltage x current, and current is only supplied to the headphones as needed. So no need to worry about overpowering if you stay within normal listening levels.

Maybe try Fostex T40RP. It's the closed version of the popular T50RP ortho. Not as much discussion about it here, but then it's only $67 so you won't have lost much even if you don't like it in the end.

there is definitely a high gain/low gain adjustment on the amp- i guess i'll email kingwa and see what he has to say- i am being drawn to the ath-w5000 for some reason, but if it c2sa is a bad match, then it's a no go. i think the amp was designed with the orthos in mind, but i'm not sure, and my electrical engineering understandings are a bit shaky :wink: i've never fully understood the voltage swing thing, i get the basic concept, but the application to matching headphones and amps is not happening- i rely on others experience and go from there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back