Going For The Full Meal Deal
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Signal2Noise

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got my portable stuff pretty much all set up. I listen to my DAPs at work, when I travel, and in bed before the big snooze. Now it's time to focus on the home rig.

With two young kids and a particularly single dimensioned wife (when it comes to music) it is difficult to get a chance to play certain music when I want and as loud as I want. So I'm looking for some circumaural phones to listen to when the need arises. I listen to pretty much everything except opera and 'standard' country/western. My main genre would be alt pop/rock and lately lot's of female vocal (Neko Case, Dido, Paula Cole, Sonya Kitchell, Madelaine Peyroux, Katie Melua, etc.).

I think, based on reviews here, intraweb research, and pricepoint, I've narrowed my selection to either the AKG K701 or Denon AH-D2000. Thoughts on these or other suggestions appreciated. Also would I need a separate headphone amp or would one of my portables handle it?

TIA.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 8
I realise that they are not on your list and below the price point you are looking at but I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones and I couldnt be happier. I have the 80ohm version and use them with a variety of portable amps. Sound isolation was important to me (young kids) so I wanted closed rather than open headphones.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Ultrasone

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 8
I think the D2000 is the safer choice, both sound and amp wise.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need to ask people whether you should get the K701, you obviously shouldn't get the K701.

LOL! Touché.

You are probably correct with that statement.
smile.gif

The reason I brought up the AKG in the first place is a work colleague recommended them to me. I was looking at the Denon & Grado's only originally, having heard of Grado numerous times and being a Denon fan in audio equipment. My friend also told me about the custom Denon headsets via Lawton Audio. But those prices are crazy talk for me at this time. So he suggested the K701's. I'm not a big fan of the Grado look although I'm sure the sound is stellar as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look at the Beyer's too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back