Going for A900LTD? (Went for A900Ti)
Feb 12, 2008 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
My recent goal is to find a headphone that I favor enough to then focus building a system around, rather than trying to slot different headphones/amps/sources.

I've been trying to figure out which one though. K701? Been reading that the AKG Kx01 phones are fairly mid-focuse headphones, which after trying the Ultrasone HFI-2200ULEs, I don't think I'd like midrange focus. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't like the HD-650s as laid back doesn't fit a fair amount of them music I listen to, and I would be susceptible to the dreaded veil. The Beyer 880 and 990 might still be in consideration, but my modded 770s I think sufficen for the 990s type of sound, and the neutrality of the 880s I don't think would fit. Grados are out of the question (comfort and upfront sound won't work for me).

I regretted getting rid of my A900s, as they have been the most comfortable headphone to me, and I really enjoyed their sound. With this in mind, I think the A900LTD might be just what I'm looking for. The sound shouldn't be too different, but should be improved enough that I'd like it, I hope. Of course, there's the major issue of availability. I'm going to assume the used market is my only real viable option, which isn't an issue, however locating one, and for a fair price is probably going to difficult I am guessing, and it might end up pricing them out of my range. What would be a fair price? Aside from here, where might be a good place to try and locate a pair?

If I can't locate one (and its within reason), is there anything else I might consider? I guess if nothing else, I can go the regular A900, or maybe A900Ti or perhaps W1000?

***UPDATE***

Well, the A900Ti's just got here. Since it was my first time dealing with AudioCubes, I was curious about how long it would take. I was expecting about the middle of next week, so I'm pleased that they got here as quickly as they did (I think I ordered maybe monday night, or possibly sometime tuesday, shipping itself only took 4 days, one of which was spent going from Kansas City to Topeka to Manhattan which KC to Manhattan is only about a 2.5 hour drive).

First of all, I wish Audio-Technica would use better boxes. They're decent looking, but use thin cardboard and I just don't feel like it does that great of job of protecting the headphones. Not a huge deal, but considering it is a special edition (with an MSRP of about $500 I believe) it would be nice to get a nicer enclosure. They also don't go out of their way to include a lot of extras, you get a cloth wipe, a little card that I assume tells you the number in the line (since its limited edition, mine appears to be #382), a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter (its decent but not the greatest in quality either I would personally say).

The cord is now no longer single ended, which is nice, although it is not cloth-covered which is ok, but I prefer the cloth. Not a big deal since it doesn't seem to be the rubber where it tries to kinda stick to things. The plug seems to be the same one on the other A900s, although I'm not entirely certain. It would've been a nice touch to make it Titanium like the cups. I do like the better earpads (although it should be known that the pleather ones on the A900 never bothered me but I only had it for about 1.5 years so they didn't really get the chance to deteriorate on me). The first thing I noticed is that the drivers are very noticeably angled (I think the regular A900s are somewhat, maybe 15-20, but these are probably a good 30-35 degree angle).

All of the little nit-picky things I can probably overlook if they sound good, so I plopped them on my head (which is effortless compared to even other comfortable headphones) and plugged them in. Keep in mind I don't have a dedicated amp at the moment, but the jack on my Sony CD player is quite good (I had trouble hearing too much difference between it and a Little Dot II+ that I had with my 250 ohm DT770s).

The sound that met my ears was just what I was wanting to hear. I'm still in the stages of running through my collection to compare key parts, but overall, I think I found the sound I was looking for. I'll go into more detail later, comparing it specifically to my modded DT770s, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Definitely needs some burn-in, I'm hoping the bass will tighten up some, as it seems just a tiny bit flabby at the moment (if not, I'm sure blu-takking them will take care of that, although I'd prefer to not have to mess with that), but everything else seems great.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pair of normal A900s to compare to, but this is similar to the sound I remember them having. However I also notice a few things that I don't recall it having that I like (someone else who had these said they have a slightly holographic 3-D presentation, which is kinda what I'm getting, and I'm really liking it). I'll be honest that I'm doubtful most people would say the Ti is worth it over the regular one, but I think it suits me just fine.

My next step will be to decide on a source, and then an amp. I might go for a DAC/amp combo (if I had the money I'd probably be all over the Pico, but I'm thinking something in the $350 range that will hold me over until I'm done with school and have a solid job and everything).

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 18
It would be interesting to try A900ti, since not too many members went for those - apparently they have more balanced sound than A900/LTDs. I would full-on review from one of the members
biggrin.gif
*hint, hint* A900LTD is extremely close to A900s, and after trying them (my friend is a HUGE AT fanboy - and I am as well
biggrin.gif
) I didn't feel that sonic signature was noticeably different to justify the extra cost.

I have a pair of K701s and I don't think they have pronounced mids at all - I felt that they were amazingly balanced, perhaps lacking tiny bit on the bass (around 30,35,35 for bass, mids, highs?) which is how I like them anyways.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 18
Ah, I think the part about the mids and AKGs came from reading quite a few people saying the K501s (with K701 pads) was better and it was because the mids were so good. Hmm, well I'll probably keep the K701s in mind too, as I think its a headphone that should probably be experienced, and me formulate my own opinion of it.

The A900Tis would be nice, but at $450, I just don't know, as it seems like it might have taken away the A900 flavor. Of course if the LTD is going for close to that then it wouldn't be worth it either. It does look nice, but I think I might would take too much of a hit on it if I didn't like it. Really I would on the W1000 as well, although I have seen some used ones pop up here lately (which is what got me interested in it).

Thanks for the opinion on the A900/LTD. The problem is that while there's people that agree with you, there's an equal number that feel the extra bit is worth the cost (although that was probably the cost for a somewhat readily available pair back then versus a hard to obtain one now). I'd probably be able to snag two A900s for the price of a single LTD, and that could be interesting for modding purposes.

Why did I know this would happen? I feel like I'm back at square one. Hmm, maybe I'll just go with an A900 until an LTD shows up and try and snag it and then compare them for myself.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 18
biggrin.gif
good call-
If I'm going to get 2 headphones - I generally try to get 2 distinctive headphones - such as K701s and Grado RS2s/RS1
or Dt880s and HD650 - I usually like one over the other quite a bit and end up selling one

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 18
All those A9*0 creatures are much too expensive IMO. You pay high end and get only good midfi (a 2nd hand 60$ DT531 is on par or even better). Haven't heared the TI, but I do not trust AT in that respect any more.

The bang-for-the-buck ratio of DT880/HD650/k701/W1000 etc. is much better IMO.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 18
darkswordsman17 I sent you a PM. I might be able to help you out.

James

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 18
I had the A900LTD for a while and wasn't all that impressed with them.

For closed cans, I more preferred the Ultrasone Proline 750: respectable high frequency detail/extension, arresting immediacy in the mids and solid, prolific bass (though arguably a bit too much).

All-in-all, though, I most prefer the K701.
: )

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All those A9*0 creatures are much too expensive IMO. You pay high end and get only good midfi (a 2nd hand 60$ DT531 is on par or even better). Haven't heared the TI, but I do not trust AT in that respect any more.

The bang-for-the-buck ratio of DT880/HD650/k701/W1000 etc. is much better IMO.

Those require a good amp to perform well, so A900 IMO is quite good on value
biggrin.gif
if you are not willing to pay for amping

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A900Tis would be nice, but at $450, I just don't know, as it seems like it might have taken away the A900 flavor.

Let me say something about this since i didnt mention much about that in my 900ti thread. The 900Ti clearly shares/improves/continues/expands/enhances the 900 flavor, it still sounds like an 900 more than any other AT can. It just get's rid off it's technical drawbacks. The basic soundsignature stays with less but still a good ammount of fun-bass, clear and detailed bass that is. Not really W5000 clear but still alot better.

I wouldnt be too surprised if we'll see a new ATH-A900 revision at the ed of this year replacing the old one. The A900 (and W1000 btw) came out in 2002 and for todays standards it can't really keep up that much. Maybe it will be based on the Ti drivers? But thats just guessing.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 18
No recessed mids and muffled details with the A900 TI any more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

It's a "show off" headfi myth that an amp always has to be precious and expensive. A well-made DIY-amp for 20ish or well chosen sub50$ amp will make them sing dead sure.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

All of those are much better unamped than the A900LTD amped with the HA5000 i owned 2 years ago.

Nickchen: Still a little bit of recessed mids as that is just a part of it's signature but no more muffled details, the Ti behaves alot better in that regard. The mids are (alot) less recessed compared to the A900LTD, but it can't deliver rich L3000 mids. However it takes EQ very well so you can always bring the mids/vocals up in the mix. Works great for me.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 18
I have both the A900 and A900LTD. The similarities between both cans are indeed close but there's also a slight difference between the two. The overall sound out of the A900LTDs are a bit more rifined than the A900 and they're not as bright sounding. Although I prefer the A900LTDs over the A900s and despite the minor differences between the two, I personally wouldn't pay the msrp for the A900LTD. For that amount of money one would expect a rather large difference between the two cans, but that wasn't case at least to my ears.

I would go for a pair of LTDs if I can find a used pair in excellent condition for $300 or less. I haven't had the chance to hear the A900Ti but have read the impression that it is a more refined and detailed set cans than the A900 and A900LTD. At nearly $450 for the A900Ti, that's little more than what I want to pay for set of non woody ATs.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for a pair of LTDs if I can find a used pair in excellent condition for $300 or less. I haven't had the chance to hear the A900Ti but have read the impression that it is a more refined and detailed set cans than the A900 and A900LTD. At nearly $450 for the A900Ti, that's little more than what I want to pay for set of non woody ATs.

You wouldnt pay MSRP but then you mention 300$
confused.gif

When they were new these were sold for around 24000-26000 Yen streetprice, thats 220-230US$, nobody _ever_ buys ATs with their MSRP, even if you wanted that would be hard to accomplish
wink.gif

I would suggest 200$/euro max for the LTD. But don't quote me on this when mine ends up in the sale forum
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wouldnt pay MSRP but then you mention 300$
confused.gif

When they were new these were sold for around 24000-26000 Yen streetprice, thats 220-230US$, nobody _ever_ buys ATs with their MSRP, even if you wanted that would be hard to accomplish
wink.gif

I would suggest 200$/euro max for the LTD. But don't quote me on this when mine ends up in the sale forum
biggrin.gif

My bad for getting the prices mixed up, and yes no one ever pays msrp for ATs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back