Glue inside Shure SE215 buds?
Jul 1, 2016 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

feej

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

Long time reader, first time poster. Firstly, thanks for all the good advice I've got from this place! I would still be on £5 earphones if not for my enlightenment :-D

So, my problem: I've recently come into possession of some Shure SE215s, but I'm concerned there's something a bit fishy about them. (I'll just admit now: I bought them second hand, but sealed in the box. I know this may not have been a great idea.)

They seem to have glue inside the buds, holding the wires in contact with the, er, contacts. I've trawled closed up images online and can't see anything similar in other sets, so I'm a bit concerned they might be fakes. They sound decent to my intermediate ears, and the included buds, case, and cleaning tool seem legit. 

I was hoping someone might take a look at some pictures and give a more knowledgeable opinion. I will also contact Shure with the serial number to see what they say. If they turn out to be dodgy, I'll be sending them back. 

I can't post pictures, so hopefully it's OK if I link to imgur: http://imgur.com/a/oQ9KS

Thanks,

T

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 6
  Hi all, 

Long time reader, first time poster. Firstly, thanks for all the good advice I've got from this place! I would still be on £5 earphones if not for my enlightenment :-D

So, my problem: I've recently come into possession of some Shure SE215s, but I'm concerned there's something a bit fishy about them. (I'll just admit now: I bought them second hand, but sealed in the box. I know this may not have been a great idea.)

They seem to have glue inside the buds, holding the wires in contact with the, er, contacts. I've trawled closed up images online and can't see anything similar in other sets, so I'm a bit concerned they might be fakes. They sound decent to my intermediate ears, and the included buds, case, and cleaning tool seem legit. 

I was hoping someone might take a look at some pictures and give a more knowledgeable opinion. I will also contact Shure with the serial number to see what they say. If they turn out to be dodgy, I'll be sending them back. 

I can't post pictures, so hopefully it's OK if I link to imgur: http://imgur.com/a/oQ9KS

Thanks,

T

There are many, many SE 215 fakes out there, and many offer very complete packages.  For me, the giveaway is the sound. Not sure if you've heard an SE215 in person, but that could really help you identify whether this is a legit or not.  Also, I can't claim to ever have seen so much glue in an IEM either.  Doesn't look like something Shure would have ever let out of the factory to be honest.  

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 6
My god, that is absolutely terrible. Even I were to manufacture fakes, I wouldn't let those out my door.
The biggest giveaway for fake IEM's is quality control, like the counterfeiters think that if the shell looks like the real thing, it'll fool people.
As I was saying, these are obviously fakes. Ask for a refund right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back