Glad I didnt....
Feb 27, 2008 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Glad I didnt sell my HD650s......

I recently bought some SR80s because I craved some excitement from my music, and they really do deliver that.

My intention was to sell my HD650 as I didnt think they performed the way I wanted. However, I now have them strapped to my head, and while I dont regret buying the SR80, I realise that in actual fact the HD650 likely still do have a place in my collection.

Sometimes your ears are in the mood for something a bit warmer, a bit heavier, and a bit easier going. Tonight is one of those nights for me.

I promised myself I wasnt going to make a rash decision this time to sell a pair of cans because of a particular time when I fancied something different, and so it was.

I realise now that it was a good decision to make, and I think the SR80 and HD650 can and will compliment each other in my arsenal.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 18
Yep, the Senn 6xx have the kind of "affordable neutrallity and balance" that makes them keepers. I have my pair of HD600 for almost ten years and are the touchstone against I compare any other can that gets into my house. The HD650 are almost the same, so I understand your point very well. Enjoy them!
biggrin.gif

Regards.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 18
I know just what you mean, i currently have a pair of hd650 and sr325i and i would not sell either of them, they are great!

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 18
Again a great example why having multiple headphones pays off. Getting a headphone, having huge new-toy-syndrome and selling everything else away kicks back when one finally realises that there isnt a headphone that can do everything, nor please every mood swings or simply do some songs justice.

Have fun with both Grados and Senns!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Unlike you, I was ultimately glad I sold my HD650--all four times! (Yes, I gallantly tried to like the HD650--with stock, Cardas, Headphile BlackMaxx and RAL cable upgrades, even; and with Meier HA-2/Mk.II, Gilmore V2SE, SinglePower MPX3, G&W T2.6F, Darkvoice 336i and Bada PH-12 amps.) To my ears, the HD600 was significantly preferrable to the HD650, too (my favorite Sennheiser combo was the Cardas/HD600 and the Meier HA-2/Mk.II).

Oh, well, it looks like I'm just not a Sennheisa [HD650] kinda fella after all.

And that's o.k., since I have the AKG K701 to satisfy my nearly every listening need/taste/mood. I just keep the SR-325i around to help remind me how truly good the K701 are by comparison! : )

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does HD600 compliment HD650 ?

The HD600 are what the HD650 might sound like after subscribing to a healthy diet, exercise, ample sleep and fresh air. : )

IMHE, I found the HD600 clearer and a tad quicker, as well as more balanced and "neutral"-sounding than the HD650.

It was (what I perceived as) the unnatural, bass-prominence (and its corresponding obscuring of high frequency and midrange detail) that I didn't like about the HD650 (despite all the things they admittedly do well); even though the RAL cable did a lot to improve overall frequency balance.

I've read that going balanced does wonders for the HD650, though, and cannot comment in this respect. You bet: I'd like to hear what all the hub-bub is about with a pair of balanced HD650 set up in a nice rig! : )

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

The HD600 are what the HD650 might sound like after subscribing to a healthy diet, exercise, ample sleep and fresh air. : )

So HD650 is more... meaty?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 18
I completely agree on Pataburd's take on the 600/650 comparison, the 600s are more neutral, complete and leveled, while the 650s have that midbass bump which is unnatural to my ears. Never tried the 650 balanced, but I'm using the 600 balanced now and they're still more "flat" sounding, they take off the slight veil over the treble and are more electrostatic-like in the highs.
We measured the 600 balanced and single-ended and they even measure different. In balanced mode they have a flatter response, removing the slight 2-3dB dip in the 2KHz region, which I wonder is the responsible for the "veil" some people feel they have. However 600's and 650's sound has more things in common than differences.

Regards.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 18
Simplest , (yet best) desciption i've heard of the HD650 (in comparison to the HD600) is that it's ''bigger- boned''........HD600 undoubtedly sounds more natural , but there's something about the darker/bassier more robust sounding 650 's which I love as well .......(all depending on the genre I'm listening to). For me , both cans can definitely compliment each other.....For added variety, the K240 Sextett (the 'Gradoed AKG') gives me an amazing upfront sound when needed , and in turn , compliments the Senns perfectly.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simplest , (yet best) desciption i've heard of the HD650 (in comparison to the HD600) is that it's ''bigger- boned''........HD600 undoubtedly sounds more natural , but there's something about the darker/bassier more robust sounding 650 's which I love as well .......(all depending on the genre I'm listening to). For me , both cans can definitely compliment each other.....For added variety, the K240 Sextett (the 'Gradoed AKG') gives me an amazing upfront sound when needed , and in turn , compliments the Senns perfectly.

I agree less with the statement that the HD650 are "bigger-boned" than with the statement that:

"The HD650 carry more adipose tissue than the HD600." : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back