Gibson facing some challenges...
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nraymond

500+ Head-Fier
I was doing some personal research on Philips/WOOX/Gibson/Onkyo and was trying to understand their relationships, and came across this bit of news from a few months ago:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/142...ault-if-company-can-t-refinance-its-debt.html

and then there was this:

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/gibson-guitars-memphis-factory-for-sale-1202595684/

and then this:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/blog/2017/11/21/2017-11-21-breaking-news-gibson-kills-cakewalk

In 2014 Philips sold their WOOX Innovations division (audio, video, multimedia, and accessories) to Gibson. And then Gibson has been on a buying spree, acquiring controlling interests in a constellation of companies:

https://www.strata-gee.com/gibson-brands-control-onkyo/

So Gibson is in a controlling position of a lot of brands - Philips, TEAC, Onkyo, Pioneer, Cerwin Vega, Stanton, KRK Systems, Baldwin Piano... and their debt situation is not good. The factory closure and killing Cakewalk may just be the start. I am a personally fan of a number of the recent Philips (Fidelio L2) and Onkyo (ES-FC300, H900M, E700M) headphones and I would be sad if the parent company ends up in serious trouble.

I am concerned that a lot of these brands and products aren't in the consumer spaces where a lot of attention from other companies and interest from a lot of consumers is right now. In terms of home theater and personal audio, there's a lot of attention on tech companies and their solutions. Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, Samsung Bixby, and there's been some uptake from people in terms of buying audio and video products that integrate into those ecosystems over more traditional solutions. Sonos made quite a bit of headway into a lot of people's homes with their wireless multiroom speaker solutions, but had some of their marketshare taken over by lower quality speakers with integrated voice assistants, and now Sonos is playing catch-up on integration, recently letting Amazon devices control the Sonos system via voice, and they launched their own single speaker product (Sonos One) to compete in that space that works with Alexa now and will support Siri, AirPlay 2, and Google Assistant in 2018. The combination of solutions like this and things like TV soundbars (which now extend in terms of their scope all the way up to Dolby Atmos solutions) have eroded the traditional home theater where a lot of the constellation of Gibson brands rests.

I get the impression that the average consumer has more interest in a product that conveniently integrates into that ecosystem rather than one that emphasizes quality, and in that regard I think WOOX/Gibson Innovations have had some mis-steps. The Philips Fidelio M2L was the first Lightning connector headphone on the market, but it strangely lacked a mic. And wireless headphones are clearly a growing segment of the market, and I haven't seen a lot happening from Gibson Innovations and their brands in that space. We've already seen some major upheaval in the home theater sector with TV makers and a number of brands collapsing, divisions being sold off, etc. Samsung just completed an $8 billion acquisition of Harman (which includes Harman Kardon, Becker, JBL, Crown Audio, dbx, DigiTech, Martin Professional, AKG Acoustics, Lexicon, Infinity, Mark Levinson, Revel).

I really hope Gibson can turn things around (though it's unclear to me what would happen to a lot of these brands if Gibson runs into more serious financial difficulty, since in many cases they are a controlling shareholder or handle a branded division (like Philips' audio, video, multimedia, and accessories), but are not the outright owner of these other brands). How do folks think this will play out?

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi there,
I am in fact someone who works at Gibson Innovations (GI). I do not have so much insight in whats happening at mothership Gibson Brands, but from time to time we hear some rumors and have town meetings. There are also many journalists who like to investigate what is going on with this company. Gotta love them!

Gibson Brands is indeed in financial trouble. By August they need to pay back around 520 mio $. We, as GI, are actually profitable, but I won't disclose how much.
The plan is to downsize buildings or to sell them. The factories will be relocated to other locations. This is what happened now to the factory building in Memphis and the warehouse in Nashville, which was already empty for quite some time.
The next step is to sell shares in companies or to close them when they are not profitable. As you may have heard, this happened to Onkyo and to Cakewalk.

So what is the issue then?
The company actually likes to buy other companies or brands with money they do not have, in order to become the #1 in the music industry.
Thus far this worked quite good, however when they aquired WOOX Innovations, which had revenues of around 1 billion per year and 2000 employees, which was more than Gibson Guitars had, they were in trouble.
1) In May 2015 we renamed our company. Around the same time there was the directive to stop delivering goods to smaller dealer.
2) At IFA 2015 our CEO was fired for not reaching targets.
3) By christmas 2015 the management team was fired (CTO, HR, CSO, ... basically everyone).

I'll just fast forward to now. Few months ago many people in the HQ were let go. Other countries to follow.
Projects are on-hold until the CEO gives his permission to start with them. Projects actually cost money, which we do not have, as all the profit goes directly to Gibson Brands because they need to collect money for their loan (I think in february 20 mio $ must be paid back for first steps).

Some words about the portfolio, this is is just my opinion:
On one hand we had the Fidelio range, which was not very successful. I mean when people pay a lot of money for a product, they expect good quality.
Just look at the PS1 - no sane person pays 2499€ for such a speaker. However there still a lot of investigation and development needed. Tools for the manufacturer must be prepared (and they are expensive), ...
Almost all our product lack an outstanding feature. There are a few exceptions, but basically they are 'simple products'.

Personally I would just take a product, see how it performs on the market and when it does good I re-release the same product with improved quality and maybe new features, functions, materials, design, color options and so on. This is also what other brands do. You do not need new tools, you can re-use design and materials. This brings the costs down and margins up.

Nonetheless I love my L2 and X2 and many other products.

On the other hand we had soooo many products just to fill shelves. Now try to improve quality when you have a dozens products that are very similar. I will not comment further on this one.

PS - I'm not a native speaker :)
If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm not using my typical user name nor my email address, as I still working in this company and plan to do so until they fire me.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 6
I just want to update my previous post a little bit. Many things happened in the past few weeks.

IT support is basically shut down - you have issues, google the solution.
All printer in Europe are turned off - seems we did not pay Xerox and thus they turned off their system. We print everything via a cloud, but we found a workaround.
SAP system was switched off today - well this means we can't place orders or pay bills. Not sure how long this can go on.
Italian branch was closed, and as far was we know they also maintained Turkey and Greece.

Our CFO has left few days ago and was replaced by a new one. This is btw not a new CFO, he worked with us in 2016.

There is no announcement coming from the CEO, except that everything is good. I'm sorry, but who is he kidding?
Not sure who on earth will give this mean a new loan or refinance the old bonds/loan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back